What wiring to do on an LP style guitar with four push-pull pots?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Golem, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I bought an Agile 3200MCC off Reverb that has the pickups installed incorrectly (f spaced bridge pickup in the neck) and the wiring a bit botched (neither of these issues was in the advert). While some might say to send it back I'm lucky to know someone who can fix these issues for me at a reasonable price so I'll probably just go that route.

The question then becomes, what diagram to use. The first one I found on a google search is this alternative to Jimmie Page wiring.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/28704-mod-garage-jimmy-page-les-paul-wiring

[​IMG]

I'm wondering whether anyone here has tried this or has alternative wiring schemes to recommend.

The advantage of this one (according to the writer) is that there is no position that produces no sound (which is the case with proper Jimmie Page wiring).

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

The wiring scheme you show is probably the most versatile; it offers the most tonal options of any 4-way passive push-pull circuit. Beyond that, you could incorporate a preamp (or an effect like a fuzz) in the guitar that's activated by one of the switches, etc.

3. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Personally, I would forego all the extra switching and just use 1 push-pull pot wired for phase switching.

The beauty of that 2 humbucker setup is the simplicity.

Golem likes this.
  4. Golem

Yeah, I feel you. I have a PRS Singlecut that does the simplicity thing. I say that as someone who thinks that PRS does coil-splitting really well on it's the latest generation of guitars. This guitar already has four push pulls and I have a friend who is an amp, pickup, wiring wizard so this gives the opportunity to really do something unique. For simplicity, I'll take a tele, my 00 Singlecut, or my 594 Soapbar.

5. grooveiron

grooveiron Tele-Holic

After having done a full "Jimmy Page" mod on a Les Paul copy and found it a bit much, I installed this

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 10.15.10.png

in my Ibanez TM71 semihollow and am very happy. I found there was very little difference (apart from hum!) between coil split humbuckers and parallel humbuckers, especially in the neck position.
    The bridge has a lower value tone cap, and both pickups have a bass cut built into the upper half of the tone controls. You get bass cut when the tone is above 7.5 and the volume is rolled off. If you want no tonal change with volume adjustment, leave the tone at 7.5. A HUGE variety of tones!

Golem likes this.
  6. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

It’s bad enough to have four pots. I wouldn’t remember the function of each push-pull for saving my life.

Maybe coil splitting... It’s useless anyway so no problem if I forget.

Is it possible to use those push-pull pots to get a bypass mode: a no-tone and/or no-volume option?

Golem likes this.
  7. Golem

It's something I can ask my friend the wizard. I think I might use that more than the phase switch but it's hard to say.

LowCaster likes this.
  8. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Holic

I did a deaf Eddie 20 something sound les paul. It was fun at home but it might as well been the cockpit of the space shuttle live. Too many choices to remember. I ended up going back to standard wiring.
    The series and parallel choices on the individual pickups was my favorite...especially the neck. I left it wired in parallel.

9. Golem

Well, the fun thing with push-pull options is that it's still the standard layout whenever you don't engage them. I have an American Deluxe Telecaster. It has the S-1 to engage in series. That's all it does. I love that series option with the keystones in it. If I don't want that option I just don't press the switch. It doesn't feel weird to me at all when the standard layout is just the standard layout for that type of guitar. I had some trouble adjusting to the rotary switches on old PRS guitars. But I loved the series middle position on the HFS/VB.

10. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Yes, series wiring with single coils is a huge bonus. With humbuckers, not so much. Humbuckers are coils wired in series already... o_O

11. Golem

True but wiring singles from different humbuckers in series is a valid sound although I can't say it will work with every pickup combination.

12. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

I had the Duncan scheme plus a switchable preamp for several years. It’s great for recording but it does choke some of the liveliness out of the pickups with all that wire and load in front of them at least in that Duncan configuration. I eventually went to regular ‘50s wiring plus out of phase and haven’t really missed the Page scheme. The one very cool sound I do miss is the both pickups in series/parallel option. That’s was a very thick tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.