What will you be doing musically when you're retired?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Califiddler, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

I'm 51 and hoping to retire when I'm about 66 or 67.

For the last 7 years I have been playing in a classic rock band, and for the last 3 I have also been playing in a country band. In the rock band I play electric guitar, keys and harmonica, and in the country band I play electric guitar and fiddle. I sing, too. Because of these bands, I have been playing more electric guitar than anything else for the last 7 years.

I really don't see myself playing in electric bands with drums, playing in bars until 1:00 a.m., etc. when I'm retired. I expect that I will move away from the electric stuff, sell off most of my electric gear, and move back to mostly acoustic stuff. Probably play a lot of acoustic guitar, fiddle and mandolin, go to bluegrass jams and bluegrass festivals, etc.

I also see myself playing alone a lot more, so I think that I will be playing a lot of clawhammer banjo. I already play more of that than anything else when I am playing by myself at home. Something about that style, those tunes, those "ancient tones" really relaxes and centers me, gets the blood pressure down, etc. Clawhammer banjo could be the main instrument and style of my retirement years.

For those of you looking forward to retirement, what do you think that you'll be doing, musically? And for those of you who are already retired, what are you doing, musically?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Probably playing bagpipes

3. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

As long as I can stand up, and play a guitar, I would like to keep gigging. Easy for me to say now, I'm only 44. But I've played plenty of late night with guys in their 60's that could send guys half their age back to school.

4. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Hopefully playing a lot more, gigging, teaching...I can't really imagine myself not teaching.

Lucky for us jazz guys, the old dudes among us are still playing at a very high level, so I should still be able to play and gig long after I've lost my boyish good looks and youthful exuberance:D

5. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I've thought of this before...gigging into my 60s and 70s. But, I doubt if anybody will want to hear an old codger play guitar and sing. Especially the young folks. They want to hear someone their own age. As far as the old people listening to music...I doubt they will have the time, energy, or money to do it.

But, there's always Youtube.!!!!

6. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I'll still be trying to learn how to play.

7. binkydognose

binkydognose Tele-Afflicted

I'm doing it. I'm 58 going on 28. Haven't been in a real band yet in my life. April fools day was my first day of retirement and I've been spending the past 6 months learning/playing and finding/refining my musical self. It's been a pleasure so far though I need to poop or get off the pot band-wise. Have had some promising leads flake out before we even meet up - 40 to 50 year olds might be hesitant about my age, and it seems like a lot over 50 are more into strict blues and covers from their youth. I love blues though, maybe I should pursue that just to get out.
    No complaints, it's not like I'm busting my butt trying to hook up yet. So I guess what I'm saying is I'm doing it in reverse unlike you seasoned musicians. If you knew me you wouldn't be surprised.

8. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I just picked up the pedal steel guitar, and they are right about how addictive it is. Sadly, my electric guitars are now collecting dust after almost 30 years, but the nice thing is my skinny ass can sit down all night, which is probably why there are so many fat ass pedal steel players. So, I'll probably be playing a VFW hall somewhere near you with a bunch of other honky tonk music lovers.

9. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

I had to retire for medical reasons at age 48 (19 years ago). For several years I was unable to do much in the way of music or much of anything for that matter. Gradually, I was able to rekindle a friendship with a picking buddy of many years, and we started doing a 2-peice, which we continued to do until his death from lukemia in 2007. We had quit a couple years before that because he simply was too weak and ill to continue.

Just about the time of his death, my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimers, and I have since been her caregiver (doing her housework, shopping, laundry, taking care of meds, meals, doctor appts.), ALL the things she can no longer be "trusted" to take care of. It is a full-time "job", so my music the last few years has been "by myself, mostly unplugged". gigging??? Simply can't do it. I WILL say I'm learning quite a few Chet Atkins type songs/licks, but will never get to use them.

Yes, I miss it terribly, but my mother is going to come first. I don't regret my "decision" for a minute, and would make the same choice again.

It's not the way I had "planned on finishing out". Those here who have been in my position know what I'm talking about. There is now very little time for anything "for me".

My only regret at the moment is a fellow forum member and fellow "bender guy" contacted me a couple weeks ago, wanting to come and "meet/visit/pick". I had to turn him down. I simply canNOT plan anything beyond "today".

10. OtherTom

OtherTom Tele-Afflicted

I'll be going to the local bars and heckling the 22 year old guitarist. When he's had enough and finally sez "You think you can do better old man?".....I will.

11. binkydognose

binkydognose Tele-Afflicted

Oh man bender freak... I feel for you. My wife and I both have lost our parents in recent years. Val (my wife) is fond of saying "everything happens for a reason", and I've come to believe the cliche now. Interruptions of our intentions just keep on don't they?

12. Dillon

Dillon Tele-Meister

Only time will tell. I never thought I'd be playing behind attractive twenty-something women when I was sixty and retired. As long as I serve their songs and wear a hat, I'm golden.

13. Jazzerstang

Jazzerstang Tele-Afflicted

straight edge hardcore

...end it the way it began

14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My job is music. I gig for a living. Except for a few short lived and failed attempts at having a "real" job, it's all I've ever done.

Pay's not great, tangible benefits are non-existent.

Retirement = falling down dead on stage. Works for me.

15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

If my hands hold up, I'll still be playing in a band. If they don't, I can still run the sound at our local jam.......

16. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

This.

And also looking for a bunch of old farts like me, who want to form a band, and play in old-farts bars on Friday and Saturday nights in Naples FL ... where the first set starts around 5pm and ends by 8:30pm so we can go home to bed. Hopefully, we'll play a lot of Stones' tunes .... though we'll just be whipper-snappers to the OGs who will likely still be playing.

17. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

I hope to be playing regularly...couple of nights a week at least.

18. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

I'm retired,only gigged a few times decades ago,and have basically played by myself ever
    since.Hope to continue playing until I punch-out my final time card.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

ron, i wanna be in an western swing band (electric) and a classic country band and maybe move over to steel and play in some hip alt country band where I play the role of 'the old guy' who has legit hillbilly credentials....

electric or acoustic will be fine for me into my 70's or so...

look at how cool Johnny Gimble has been... age is an idea.

20. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

If I keep practising, I'll be good enough to play on Sundays at the nursing home about when my wife will need to put me in one!:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.