What will those amazing Aussies think of next?

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
I've started getting serious about playing slide.
Traded a meh guitar for a secondhand metal body Dean resonator and I can't keep my hands (or slides) offa it!
After all these years, I've learned how to play "Jesus Just Left Chicago" (open G).
Working on "Slow Ride" now, and then there's most of the Rolling Stones catalog starting with "Honky Tonk Women."

So while rummaging through my guitar junk, I found a slide I acquired about 15 years ago.
It's heavy brass, but it's short enough (47mm) to wear on my pinky so I can play notes with the rest of my booger hooks.
On top of that, it's engineered so that one end has a smaller inner diameter (16 mm) and the other is larger (19 mm).
This lets me use it on my ring finger as well if I want - like getting 2 slides in one!
I wanted to get another one in case the old one gets lost, and the chase began.
All I remembered about the original slide was it was made by some cat in Australia.
So I dived into the Interweb and a couple searches later ...
I ACTUALLY FOUND IT!!!
Imagine my joy!!!🥳

Kirk Lorange is an Aussie guitar guru known for his fingerstyle and slide work with the Beatles and other rock legends.
He makes these slides still today in the short format that I have and a longer one that covers all 6 strings.
So I ordered one and I can't wait for it to arrive!

Since I began my renewed interest in slide, I've tried and bought a bunch of the little devils.
My favorites are the pinky versions for reasons stated above.
Ernie Ball makes one in chrome steel, and D'Addario has one that's very similar.
Joe Perry's signature ceramic slide also comes in a short format, and it's great too.
But this one is definitely the cat's poopchute!
Here's the shorty version:
1667509755284.png

Here's the longer version:
1667509780581.png

And here's a link to where you can get one of your very own:

So what kind of slide do you like best?

peteycaster

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
As a by the by Kirk is originally from Canada but has lived and worked in Australia for many years. I've never heard of the Beatles connection before so will look that up. Great slide player.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Traded a meh guitar for a secondhand metal body Dean resonator and I can't keep my hands (or slides) offa it!
After all these years, I've learned how to play "Jesus Just Left Chicago" (open G).
Working on "Slow Ride" now, and then there's most of the Rolling Stones catalog starting with "Honky Tonk Women."

So while rummaging through my guitar junk, I found a slide I acquired about 15 years ago.
It's heavy brass, but it's short enough (47mm) to wear on my pinky so I can play notes with the rest of my booger hooks.
On top of that, it's engineered so that one end has a smaller inner diameter (16 mm) and the other is larger (19 mm).
This lets me use it on my ring finger as well if I want - like getting 2 slides in one!
All I remembered about the original slide was it was made by some cat in Australia.
I ACTUALLY FOUND IT!!!
Imagine my joy!!!🥳

Kirk Lorange is an Aussie guitar guru known for his fingerstyle and slide work with the Beatles and other rock legends.
He makes these slides still today in the short format that I have and a longer one that covers all 6 strings.

Since I began my renewed interest in slide, I've tried and bought a bunch of the little devils.
Ernie Ball makes one in chrome steel, and D'Addario has one that's very similar.
Joe Perry's signature ceramic slide also comes in a short format, and it's great too.
View attachment 1047122
View attachment 1047123

My slide is metal. Chrome colored. Haven't tried glass or brass.
Points for Jesus Just Left Chicago!
I played that thing on my latest outing in front of real people(me, Tele, SM58, Pocket POD and home-made DSR-2000 backing tracks).

Skydog1010

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter

I ACTUALLY FOUND IT!!!
Imagine my joy!!!🥳

View attachment 1047122
View attachment 1047123

Bottle for me.

runstendt

Tele-Holic
That seems pretty cool. Next time I’m in the market for a slide I may have to get one. The shorter slides are handy, and I’m curious about the different inner radii. They look like they’re worth the money to me.