What were you using in 68?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dobrojoe, Oct 25, 2018.

1. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

A ‘62 Gretsch Tennessean into a ‘67 Bassman. That combination sounded so good with the Bassman cranked to about 6 or so.

We were playing all the rock & roll stuff we could find in the Top 40.

Still have the Gretsch.

2. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

In 1968 I was 16 years old. I owned a Rickenbacker 360-12 in FireGlo and a Fender Dual Showman amp. Roger McGuinn was my hero.

3. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted

I was at college doing an Art & Design course... so naturally I had a 1963 white Fender Strat, and a Fender Tremolux...
    what dizzying heights I started from, haha!

After that Life got in the way and it got a lot more complicated :eek:(

2 Headed Goat and Mr Ridesglide like this.
  4. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

In 1968, I was using my Dad's guitars. He had a Stella made by Harmony that he got around 1961 that I first started plunking around on, and then I started learning in earnest on his Harmony H1213 Archtone archtop. (Unfortunately, I don't have pics of either one of those guitars of Dad's, so I borrowed those below from the Internet.)
    Stella by Harmony, H929.jpg Harmony H1213 Archtone 1965 - 1.jpg

In the Summer of 1968, my Dad was convinced that I was in earnest about learning to play guitar, and although I don't remember asking him for an electric guitar, when a neighbor's son had one to sell, Dad bought it for me to use. It was a Harmony H19 Silhouette. I don't remember what the amp was. (Again, borrowed pic below.)
    Harmony H19 Silhouette - 1.jpg

Not one of these guitars were mine. Though Dad bought the Silhouette for me, my younger brother was also interested in playing guitar. Since I didn't pay for it, and for my kid brother's sake, when I left my Dad's home in 1972, I left those guitars behind. Wish I had them today, for sentiment, not necessarily playability.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had a Fender Jazzmaster (the Strat I wanted got snatched by someone else). I had a Maestro Fuzz Tone and a rented blackface Fender Bassman. I think I played my first gigs that year. I also had a Jordan Treble Bass Boost that plugged into the guitar like the BossTone I wanted, but the store was out of.

brookdalebill and Mr Ridesglide like this.
  6. JohnPeck

JohnPeck TDPRI Member

July 7, 68! The last of the cloth diaper kids! My sister born in 1970 had pampers!

July babies are the best! Hard on the outside and soft on tje inside...just like the crab that we are!

985plowboy and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

1968 was my freshman year in college. I had one electric, a Jazzmaster, with an Ampeg Gemini VI amp. I wish I had both of them now. I also had a Favilla all solid mahogany classical guitar. I wish I still had that too and I wish I could still play it’s wide flat neck.

8. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I used pot for the very first time!

9. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

1959 Jazzmaster, Tweed Fender Super, Fender vol/tone pedal, and a Fender tape echo..

10. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's

I was in a high school/early college cover band "Something Under Milkwood" - we played Doors, Yardbirds, Who, occasional Byrds / Buffalo Springfield songs. We played Frat parties at UCLA and what is now CSUN, college and high school dances mostly, though occasionally at clubs like the Topanga Corral and at Gazzari's on the Sunset strip. I had a '65 Jaguar, a fuzzbox and a compressor I made with plans from Guitar Player magazine, and a huge 80 watt Standel (Super Artist XV?) amp with two JBL 15's.

11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

In '68 I was using only true-bypass effects with germanium diodes, cryogenically treated strings, and directional cables. I sounded better than Hendrix and Clapton, but they became famous instead because they had, that look.

12. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I began playing more bass than guitar. '66 P-Bass (Sunburst) through a blue check Ampeg B15n. Also had a '64 Guild Starfire III and a Harmony Soveriegn acoustic.

Ricky D. likes this.
  13. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I was 11 so I think I was playing my dad's trumpet in the band.

Carl

brookdalebill likes this.
  14. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

56 Strat, that I got for free, and a 59 5F6A I paid $150 for.
    Still have both.

15. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

A Gibson Maestro and a black Del Rey that had a big chip in it. My sister yanked the case off the bed when it was unlatched.

16. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I was 14, playing a borrowed Gibson Melody Maker through a similarly borrowed Massie Lancer amp - driving the neighbors crazy. Around this time I began acquiring my own gear, paid for mostly by my parents and provided by Heathkit.

By the end of '69 I had a whole set: a Harmony-by-Heath Bluebird two-pickup solid-body guitar (built from a kit) matched to a Heathkit TA-16 (?) 1x12" 20 watt SS combo amp (built from a kit), with a Heathkit TA-28 Fuzz Pedal (built from a kit) to provide the necessary horrible distortion.

Did I mention that my dad was a big fan of Heathkit products? He never helped me much with assembly, though.

Shortly after building all these Heathkit things, I knew I had to move up to real quality stuff so I got hold of a '68 Strat ($100, with case), and a blackface Bassman. Gave up on the fuzz-box, and I haven't really used any pedals since then.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  17. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

I was Riding my Big Wheel, 7 years old in 68'....... started playing guitar in 75' 14 years old...... had an Acoustic from my mom then got a Mustang and a Champ......

18. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I was not born then. ;)

19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

A stolen (according to Dad) Framus archtop.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had access to one of these 1969-1971.

In 1968 I was still trying to make use of a pathetic (but new) cherry red Harmony Rocket with that crazy trem.

And one of these:

[​IMG]

But the two channel version, lots more knobs and a "harmonic modification" switch. 0le Fuzzy had at least one of these, as well.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    radiocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.