What were you doing when you were an 9 yrs old?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by ASATKat, May 28, 2020.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Playing a lot of Sega Genesis.

2. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

1966...I was sitting on a boat cushion in the front seat of the family J-3 Cub, learning to fly. I couldn't reach the rudder pedals, Dad made wood blocks eventually so I could learn rudder control.

I was taking piano lessons too. The only legacy there is that I can read music.

3. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar Tele-Meister

Great point. I would say Derek Trucks would be one of the best examples within the guitar community. He is a former prodigy whom actually went on the create a very unique sound, and has continued to grow as player throughout his life.

I believe in reality, musicians with excellent who work hard eventually catch up to the majority of prodigies.

superjam144 likes this.
  4. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Gev is great, yet Aron is even more impressive IMO. Many prodigies play with incredible technique, but this kid really plays with the full on conception, taste, depth of groove of a full grown man. It's these types of kids that make me wonder of reincarnation is really possible. Because it just doesn't seem possible to have enough life experience to put this kind of feeling into music. He is creating this bassline, the original song has a simple keyboard bass line.

KCKC likes this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When I was 9, I was just flailing away on my $10 kid toy guitar.
    I didn’t get good till I was 11.
    OK, 51.
    OK, I haven’t gotten good yet, but I will.
    OK.

8trackmind, KCKC and superjam144 like this.
  6. TJStone

TJStone TDPRI Member

I was playing Hawaiian steel through my Fender Champ. Wish I still had the amp...
    tim guitar.JPG

beagle and Admiral Akbar like this.
  7. Tornado

Tornado Tele-Meister

Doing all kinds of fun things. Didn't play guitar yet. But I followed the weekly music show, there were only two tv channels at the time in the Netherlands. Listened to the radio and records a lot. Reading comic books was also something a did a lot. And watching television a lot. I didn't now exacactly what series were running then excactly. I think it was the FBI and also the BBC version of the Last if the Mohicans was showed at the time.

So I was playing and fooling around like a person that age should do in my opinion. I wasn't into worrying about the future at all. That has changed. I understand taht the race to the bottom starts at elementary school nowadays.

Admiral Akbar likes this.
  8. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

At 9 I was busy being a typical 9 year old. I did learn gun safety & how to shoot in that timeframe, though.

9. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

Grieving about my late dad.

Died just 2 months before my 9 yo bd. Drank himself to the grave. And you know, in rural Finland back then it was a shameful thing not to have a dad. My ”friends” picked me about it. The worst times was when we had had to do fathers’ day cards in grammar school. The teatchers didn’t have any sensivity. Just do it to your granpa! And this said in front of the class.

No wonder I so totally f*ucked up today.

Rowdyman and superjam144 like this.
  10. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Riding motorcycles. I couldn't drive a car until my legs go long enough to reach the clutch pedal.

11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Excuse me while I go do a thing...

upload_2020-5-29_10-9-47.jpeg

12. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

Inspired by the character of Spock, seeing him as representing a better way to live (compared to my parents), I began transforming myself accordingly. The changes stuck for many years, probably even until now.

Oh, it had to be moderated, of course.

KCKC likes this.
  13. KCKC

KCKC Tele-Afflicted

1972 - I do remember hearing something about the Beatles breaking up earlier in my youth! @ 9 would typically leave the house before 9 and had to be home when the street lights came on. I was riding my blue stingray with chrome fenders and a blue sparkly banana seat, building bikes with parts from the dump, not putting my fathers tools back where they belonged, spending hours in the woods, playing kick the can, making NASA space capsules for GI Joes from Clorox bottles and reading a lot. Everyday was an adventure!

KC

8trackmind and LetItGrowTone like this.
  14. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

At 9 I was a year into playing guitar. Well, making noises on guitar.
    If it weren't for work, cars, motorcycles, wives and children, I might have ended up on someone's couch as a professional musician.
    I probably dodged a bullet due to lack of skill. And probably for the best overall.

15. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister

I definitely wasn't doing that. I'm pretty sure I was sitting in the back yard burning worms with a magnifying glass...

16. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Isn’t that the kid from the movie “Up”?

17. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

He's actually smiling, bouncing, bobbing, and making faces, so it looks like he is having fun. :)

KCKC likes this.
  18. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

He’s not quite in the pocket, and I hate that Jaco “bass” sound. But hey, he’s way better than me and all I did when I was 9 was play with Legos and ride my bike.

19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I was stealing my Dad's guitar and teaching myself to play.

TJStone likes this.
  20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I was building and launching model rockets. I probably built about 20 kits and did a few of my own design. That was a lot of fun.

I also was being taught piano by a strict German woman. Almost made me not like music.

Sounds Good likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.