What were the popular bands when you first picked up the guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kloun, May 29, 2020.

1. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

when I 1st picked up a guitar at 5-6 years old, the Beatles were on the Ed Sullivan show. I remember getting my moms wig out too bec I needed more hair :)

television to a 6 year old then was a pretty traumatic experience that lasted a lifetime

2. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

As a preteen from 1981 to 1983, between the radio and my friend’s older brother’s records, the biggest standouts remain Moving Pictures, Pyromania, The Number of the Beast, Back in Black/For Those About to Rock, Bark at the Moon, Eliminator and Synchronicity.

Later on it was still Rush and AC/DC when the Guns n Roses joined them in a big way. Then I went to school, discovered certain intoxicants and many things music changed drastically.

3. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

1964. I was 12. So many artists/bands in so many genres

JIMMY JAZZMAN and brookdalebill like this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I guess the Beatles and then the Dave Clark 5 and other Brit stuff
    My first album though was Mitch Ryder when I had my guitar!

5. TommyBaltimore

TommyBaltimore TDPRI Member

Shred metal was in so learning to play fast was a thing. But I had older brothers so I listened to a lot of classic rock.

6. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Hendrix, Zeppelin, Al DiMeola, Dixie Dregs, Atlanta Rhythm Section. Guitar was a wonderous thing to aspire to. It still is for me.

Admiral Akbar and brookdalebill like this.
  7. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

When I got my first guitar in 1963 the only guitar-based band I cared about was The Ventures. Shortly thereafter, The Beatles, Stones and Byrds gave me additional motivation.

8. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

The Hair Metal was very popular when i picked the guitar, i think it was in 1989 and fortunately it was a dying genre because i couldn't stand it...:lol::lol:

Whatizitman and brookdalebill like this.
  9. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Bands...The Rolling Stones, Grand Funk Railroad, Steve Miller Band, Chicago, Seals & Croft, CSN&Y, ELO.
    Artists...Ringo Starr, Elton John, Marvin Gaye, Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty, John Denver.
    It would have been ~1973...there were many carry overs from years before.

10. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Yes I agree. But for me it has to be The Beatles and their appearance on Feb. 9th, 1964 on The Ed Sullivan Show. I was hooked, I wanted to play guitar.

11. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

For me, that’s actually two questions.

In answer to the first, no idea. Probably Queen or something.

In answer to the second, the Sex Pistols, the Clash & the Jam.

Pax/
    Dean

Dirty Dave, Jim603 and JIMMY JAZZMAN like this.
  12. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

1974 - Humble Pie, I Don't Need No Doctor

elihu likes this.
  13. Admiral Akbar

Admiral Akbar Tele-Meister

Well, when I first started, what bands were big versus what I was actually listening to were two different things.

the bands that were big when I got my first bass guitar (didn’t get my first guitar until 10 years later) were:

RHCP, Metallica, GnR, Motley Crue (Ugh), ozzy, Pink Floyd, the Cure

the bands that i was actually listening to:

Led Zeppelin, the Yardbirds, John Mayall, Cream, The Who, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, the Beatles, Motown, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Hendrix

Jlwctn likes this.
  14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, Rockin the Fillmore...

Also Foghat, Trapeze and Johnny Winter.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  15. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Early to mid 1990s, so take your pick. Both the US and UK were producing new guitar-oriented bands every week. Probably inspired by Britpop for a while, although more Suede, Mansun, Radiohead, Manics, etc than the rest of it once I got bored of Oasis.

Fretting out likes this.
  16. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

All those late 60's bands. Not that I was that interested. I just wanted to play Bob Dylan songs and Mississippi John Hurt.

Old Smokey and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

My answer is very broad- anything that was on the radio (AM R&R) in the mid-1960's thru say 1974 ( AM/FM) explain:

In the late '60's (I was 9-10), my older brother went to College/Viet Nam, and left me his really cheap, terrible (toy) student-size Classical guitar ( unplayable, untenable!).
    I aped the Beatles, Monkees, Stones etc., pretending to play it- in my head thinking "I could never really play the guitar " but I could NOT stay away from this awful guitar!

In 1973, I went to a boarding HS, and starting picking up classmates real guitars (acoustic) and that was that!

18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Picked up guitar in the mid-80s but hated most of the super popular hair metal/hard rock at the time. My first inspiration was synthesizers but I segued into guitar to play stuff like the Cure, the Smiths, the Police, and some simple punk stuff. Got the simple punk stuff down quick enough, but little did I know that going from 3 power chords to something by Johnny Marr or Andy Summers is like going straight from Driver's Ed. to the Daytona 500! Even some of the punk stuff that I thought was simple was pretty advanced -- like East Bay Ray with the Dead Kennedys. If you're going to learn you may as well try to emulate the best.

Whatizitman likes this.
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It was 1968, so there were lots of bands about. I was mainly listening to 50s records, much like today really, except back then they (and the guitar) were Dad's.

brookdalebill likes this.
  20. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

Screenshot_20200529-081918_Chrome.jpg

I had to Google it and it was worse than I thought. The early 2000s were not great for music if you ask me. I got my first guitar for Christmas in 2002. And though I'd wanted a guitar for awhile it was hearing the guitar part on One Last Breath by Creed that hooked me. I watched that video 100 tomes trying to figure out what the guitar players fingers were doing. So here I am ragging on early 2000s music while also acknowledging that the popular music of the day was my biggest inspiration at the time. I'm fine with that. Shortly after I started really listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers and discovered the greatness of John Frusciante.

DLReed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.