1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What were the best/worst names of bands you've been in?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by blowtorch, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I agree. I'm laughing hard at that and my daughter is looking at me funny. Funnier than usual.

2. Varmonter

Varmonter TDPRI Member

You guys had some good ones..or bad ones I should say. I always liked "running with scissors." But I cant say I've ever
    Had a bad name. "Stop at the top" was
    A so so name. "New city flyers" was another. I worked in a semiconductor
    Mfg plant for 26 yrs. There was a dept
    That ground down the back side of the
    Wafers called "Backside Grind"
    I suggested that to an all factory employee band forming there and they
    Took the name. Later changed it..

3. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Best and worst at the same time: The Richards

4. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

My wife's two brothers and their friend Doane Perry had a middle school band named The Foggy Dawn. They cringe when it's mentioned but I always thought it was a brilliant name, far better than the name of the better-known band that Doane ended up in.

5. Collirem

Collirem Tele-Meister

The Doane Perry from Jethro Tull?

6. bgoodwin

bgoodwin TDPRI Member

Not sure if it's good or bad, but my current band is called Outtatime.
    Drummer owns a funeral home, bassist works there.
    :D

Mandocaster68 likes this.
  7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Blue Lunch. Bad, sure, but it got a laugh.

The Hip Replacements. Our wives made us change it to One Lane Bridge

Current name, which I don't like at all: Damn New Guy You can guess who the new guy is...:rolleyes:

8. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

Best was Rogue except when it was misspelled in the paper as Rouge. We went as the cross dressing cowboys,

So Many bad ones:
    TJ Swan named for a cheap wine
    Easy Nights named for a cheap wine
    Night Train Express named for a cheap wine is there a theme here?
    The Undecided we couldn't decide on a name

9. Mandocaster68

Mandocaster68 TDPRI Member

I'm in a bluegrass voiced Americanaish band with some really great people that I love playing with. There is a lot of experience within the group and everyone has at least 2 other projects going from hard rock to the symphony.

We are called, sadly, "THOSE GUYS?"

10. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

1968: The Venerable Beads (yes, named by the keyboard player after Bede, the venerable Medieval monk and scholar. Not too bad but obscure.)
    1970s: 3 Chord Monte (Short-lived R&R proto-punk party band)

The names weren’t too bad but the bands left a bit to be desired.

11. Muadzin

Muadzin TDPRI Member

My very first band called itself Guess Who, until they learned the name already existed. Upon which we renamed ourselves Wagpigo. Which was short for We Ain't Gonna Play In Guadalajarian Offices. I didn't think of it, no blame befalls me, although I was the only one who could pronounce Guadalajarian with reasonable success. For a Dutch teen. But looking back it was the 80's so it might not have been such a bad name in hindsight. It was the decade of excess and bad taste after all.

My last band's name was Death to Decaf, which was kinda okay. I never asked the people who came up with the idea as to why, but I know they do like their coffee and like it strong. Overall I've never been much involved with christenings bands, just let me write the songs I want to write and the things I know how to do and if you got a good name, lets use it.

The absolute worst name I've ever seen for a band was The Music, a UK band. I saw them open for U2 in 2005 and thought their music was quite good. Got home and, well, good luck googling that ****! Its not something that used to factor into band names, but googleability does factor in heavily into a good band name these days. If A: it doesn't confuse the algorithm with a common search term, and B: use Google to find if the name is already taken! There's a Dutch pop singer who thought it was a good idea to call himself Dio. Google clearly did not factor into that decision.

12. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

The australians had some good names. 'Weddings, parties, anything', 'the band who knew too much' to name a few..

Really bad names for a band but stuck: U2, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Suede..

We almost called a trio 'The Gay Cowboys'. Then the movie came out!.
    It is still a good name i think.
    Now we are called 'The men who knew too much' a take on my aussie friends' band.
    Pretty neat.And with Hitchcock in mind, of course.
    I have a name for a Tom Petty cover band: Tom Pretty.howz da? Bit naff (like the beer).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  13. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Deer in the Headlights
    Otho Winger Experience

Not sure which is best/worst. :confused:

D.H.

14. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

So your principal told you to stop and die?

15. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

I was once in a band called "Meat". Everybody else in the band hated the name except the drummer, who was the one who came up with it, and since he considered it his band (we rehearsed at his house), he also considered his decision to be final. We were an original hard rock band with alt/grunge influences (it was the early '90s). If I had to describe what we sounded like, I'd say it was blend of Thin Lizzy, Bad Company and Pearl Jam, and we thought "Meat" made us sound like a metal band (and people did assume that... including the agency that booked our gigs, apparently :rolleyes:).

One of the other guys came up with "Jaded Blue" and we all liked that name a lot better, but we couldn't get the drummer to go along with it. I designed all the flyers for our gigs, and one time, in an act of defiance, I put "Jaded Blue" on the flyer instead of "Meat". The drummer never helped out with posting flyers (probably considered himself above such menial tasks), so he was oblivious to it until he got to the club and saw all these "Jaded Blue" flyers all over the place! :lol:

Oh yeah, he had a meltdown of epic proportions... He got over it, but I didn't stay in that band much longer.

Another submission for the "bad" band name column would be the first band I formed when I was a sophomore in High School. We were called "Rock Bottom". I was watching some TV show (I don't remember what it was... I want to say "Knight Rider" or something), and there was a street scene with a bar in the background called "Rock Bottom", and I thought: "that's a good name for a band!" (I'm almost certain it was meant as an alcoholism reference, but it went over my head at the time). When I suggested it, nobody shot it down, so that's what we called ourselves.

I was a little afraid that if we sucked, people would say stuff like: "Yeah, you guys are rock bottom alright...". But nobody ever did (not to my face, anyway). Our first and only "gig" was at our high school pep-rally in front of the entire student body. We were a "power trio" (or so I thought), but none of us could sing, so we played "Moby Dick" - replete with drum solo - and that took up all of our allotted time.

That went over pretty well, but all that success went to our heads and the band soon broke up over "creative differences" :D.

The "best" name of any band I've ever been in was an acoustic Celtic band called: "The Tatters". I wish I had come up with it. That was a fun band to play in.

16. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Rubber Band

17. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

I joined a band that went by 'Grievance Committee."
    The singer was fired and I was added on
    combo organ and sometimes singer.
    We soon added a real singer and changed
    the band's name to 'Norwegian Wood.'
    This was back in 1968 when a certain band
    was popular. Interestingly, we didn't play the song 'Norwegian Wood,' and in fact played only played one tune (Back in the USSR) by the popular band.
    We were more into CCR, Who and Jimi.

Markrk

18. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Holic

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    High school band formed with classmates in 1967. We called ourselves "The Closed Shade (and what's going on behind it!)".
    Eventually shortened to just The Closed Shade.

19. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

20. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tres Pantalones Poquitos

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.