What were The 70's really like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
I forgot to say in my last post that we had a concert at my high school in the winter of my junior year. It was a band that was popular in the New England region in 1974 and they were introducing their second album, "Get Your Wings". It was the first time I ever saw flash pots in a concert.
Lou Gramm played at our High School dance.

tubedude

Tele-Afflicted
DM, CL was exactly the kind of movie they’d show.

I’d never heard the term “grindhouse” before those Rodriguez/Tarantino films either. I’ve never seen any of those films (I try to avoid R-rated films as much as I can).

Speaking of which, it was shocking what they’d get away with in PG or even G-rated films back then.

The original “True Grit” with John Wayne was rated G…with a hand amputation, snake bites, shoot outs and “fill yer hand you…”!

The original “Getaway” with Steve McQueen was rated PG, with murder, suicide, kidnapping, nudity…

Things were weird back then.
It seems then, and mostly now, film makers were pretty safe with the murder, pillaging and plunder. Not so much with the raping though. Avoid that, nudity and F bombs in the dialog, and a G rating can generally be had.

57joonya

Tele-Afflicted
Also born in 1974. From what I do remember of the 70s, and looking at those pictures, I was in the wrong place.
Also born in ‘74 here.
Do u mean you wished you were a little older back then? Cause I do .
Things seemed a lot more free. There was definitely more wildlife and land to access ,
Hiking ,
Four wheel driving etc.
It seemed a person could make a pretty good living just working hard at almost anything.
Maybe I’m wrong , but I’m a carpenter . Started my own business at 22 yrs old . 1995 .
I thought I was gonna be pretty well off the way things started , but it’s just been a pressure cooker ever since . I’m ok , I have a decent house , three fine kids ,a wife that I adore .
But I have to work seven days a week usually .The bills are outrageous,
Insurance, gas , food . You name it , it’s more . Oh , and it’s insanely overpopulated now compared
To even just the ‘70’s.I was only 6 at the end of that decade , but I’ll take it then over now .

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Anybody remember Sears Tough Skin corduroys?
I do. They were emblematic, I thought, of the great body of "problems" I had as a junior high philosopher. I couldn't understand why mom and dad could not shell out for Levi's and Nike shoes, at least one pair of each. Even so, they were a step up from the K-Mart clothes my sister and I wore in shame and anger much of the time. We had moved from the country to the city for better schools, and there, we'd run into class distinctions we'd known nothing about previously. When I hit my growth spurt, my mom would sew "extensions" onto the legs of my pants.

It would be many years before we could grasp the concept that parents do the best they can. We were not, in fact, wealthy people, and we were lucky to have a roof over our heads, enough to eat, and parents who just wanted us to pay attention to school so we could have a decent future. As our fortunes improved - - largely because of those days of wanting - - we found that we had become careful stewards of our money, too.

Marshallfender

Tele-Meister
E868EB2C-EFE2-44C1-BBC3-365E139D773A.jpeg

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Also born in ‘74 here.
Things seemed a lot more free. There was definitely more wildlife and land to access ,
Hiking ,
Four wheel driving etc.
It seemed a person could make a pretty good living just working hard at almost anything.
Maybe I’m wrong , but I’m a carpenter . Started my own business at 22 yrs old . 1995 .
I thought I was gonna be pretty well off the way things started , but it’s just been a pressure cooker ever since . I’m ok , I have a decent house , three fine kids ,a wife that I adore .
Insurance, gas , food . You name it , it’s more . Oh , and it’s insanely overpopulated now compared
To even just the ‘70’s.I was only 6 at the end of that decade , but I’ll take it then over now .

No, I meant I wish I'd been in new york city. To enjoy it, I would've needed to be older, but no, I don't want to live in an earlier time. We already know how it turned out. You can't live a life inside a decade, it's just a tiny window of time. 1970s NYC looked a lot better than today's, I'll say that. But if I'd been say, 20 years old in 1970, I would've had a fun 10 years... maybe.
Or I might have been drafted and killed.
Either way I would've had the disappointment of watching so many hopes crash and burn. That pressure cooker we are both in started in the 80s, or even the 70s. I'd rather just be here right now and move forward.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Also born in ‘74 here.
Hiking ,
Four wheel driving etc.
You are also mentioning an all over pressure cooker. I'm no longer a blue collar worker (3+ decades now) but was working answering a page at 6:05 AM on a Sunday same time our enterprise had around 200 - 575 people all starting by 7 AM.

What people need know or recognize is the same times the whole world had a great acceleration of billions of people getting out of extreme poverty, some nations lost some easy and big advantages. We all have to deal with that. There's no good record of isolationism ever working but being competitive and nimble pretty much always does.

Bills and costs were often serious or outrageous as you put it in my whole life. Having had my life uprooted on "rust belt" I saw our species just has to be competitive and that is it. There is just no policy or simple way or thing that will get around how most of us have to have skills where the whole world pays a living wage or lots of stuff is pretty rotten.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I wish I had found this in 1975.

I had that fortune.

Not everyone really mixed even though my 1970s dorm time was co-ed and there was more racial diversity. I had a roommate from Nigeria and neighbors from north side Milwaukee and south side Chicago. They got an ear for Frank Zappa same time a few of us did for afro beat and funk.

Later I had housemates and sublet mates from Caribbean and Mobile, AL.

All together that was fantastic. In addition to music and food tastes ahead of the curve were other lessons. Some were sad lessons. My one housemate was a decorated US Army vet in a top engineering school. The law student from Puerto Rico was a US citizen. If we all drove the same car those guys would at times get pulled over for not violating any laws but not me because of the color of our skin. They were as top shelf humans as you get - decorated military vets getting engineering and law degrees.

John_B

Tele-Meister
The 1970's was the essence of FREEDOM. The likes of which young people today will never, ever experience. This makes me very sad. It was the best years of my single life, ages 14 thru 24. Kids like me had way too much nonstop fun. Everyone got along, had respect for each other and we loved each other. For real, we really did where I grew up. Wages were low but the cost of everything was low, until the end of the 1970's. Kids were able to be kids and did not have to deal with adult problems until they were adults. There were very few broken families. That was very rare. Parents never quit their marriage; they toughed it out. Kids grew up in a very stable environment. Looking back, this was everything for me. If you broke the law, you paid the price. Serious offenders were dealt with and taken off the streets. We kids grew up safe. The 1970's did have a few serious rough spots everyone had to deal with. Vietnam was very worrisome, I missed it by being born in '55, not '53. The Arab Oil Embargo opened my eyes and ground this country to a halt. That also killed our muscle cars. Very sad but we being forced to look at fuel efficiency was in our interest. The country did not jump in on R&D like it should have. If we fast tracked this, we would not have opposing views on fossil fuels. We would have very efficient alternatives being used with fossil fuels. Then Carter caused Hyper Inflation at the end of the decade. Wow. I was living in Germany letting Uncle Sam pay the bill and I was very much insulated from this. I came back and met people who signed 13 o/o mortgages for their homes. I could not believe it.

The 1970's was the best decade overall (IMO) It was not as violent or fast as the 1960's but it had its share of problems. Then 1980 came and the World started to fast track. End of story.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
We smoked pot and went to concerts. Partied on country roads without a care in the world.
Anyone that say's the 70's sucked sure did not experience the things we did.
Now I graduated in 78 and good jobs were kinda hard to find. My buddies went off to college. I could not afford that so I joined the Marine Corps.
The movie dazed and confused is pretty darn close!

Status
Not open for further replies.