What were single coils called before humbuckers were invented?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
That is what I always struggle with about vintage.. those instruments are so heavily sought after, while in general, you would call them by today's standards faulty units or design errors. sure they are collectible for historical reasons, but claiming them to be superior, while knowing how experimental they have been, is just wrong, IMHO of course :)

Sorry, don't want to derail the thread with that.

When people like the sound of something, it's like they don't even care if it was properly beta tested, peer reviewed, FDA approved...

Most people are still listening to old instruments on new records, as well as old records. Great players still use them. They didn't suddenly start sounding bad.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I presume singles coils are called that to distinguish them from double coil humbuckers, but before 1957 what were they called?
Why 1957? Here's one on a 1937 banjo:
9143_01.jpg

https://www.retrofret.com/product.asp?ProductID=9143

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A friend asked me to put some different pickups into his old Teisco strat...

"have you got any of those double pickups?" I want to try some of them...:confused:

took me a few moments to realise he meant humbuckers...:lol:

I put in an old F set that were floating around my bench, he plugged it in to his Peavey, his eyes lit up and said, these'll do....:cool:

I ended up playing bass in a trio with him for a few years after that day and got to hear the guitar all the time.. and yes, it did sound good. :)

Teisco6.JPG kev's HH Teisco strat.jpg

1Mudman

TDPRI Member
George Beauchamp produced the first succesful single coil named the "horse shoe" after the magnet design of U shaped magnets.

brashboy

Tele-Meister
I presume singles coils are called that to distinguish them from double coil humbuckers, but before 1957 what were they called? Charlie Christians and P90s were a thing so how did Fender name their pickups, was it simply by guitar and position?
DGT = damn good thread

dswo

Tele-Holic
That's an excellent question! Probably just tried to use adjectives differently than the competition!
Remember the restaurants and theaters? AIR CONDITIONED--- STAINLESS STEEL Stools, CLEAN, FRESH and HOT BUTTERED POPCORN, COMFORT SEATING, HOME MADE blah blah etc. ad nauseam :)

On the coast here there's a restaurant called "The Sanitary Fish Mart," sometimes shortened to "The Sanitary."