1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Was Your "What The Hell Was I Waiting For" Guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by taxer, Oct 25, 2012.

1. taxer

taxer Banned

"What the hell was I waiting for"? What guitar did you buy after years of not having one that made you say that?

Mine has to be a Telecaster. I've ventured off and bought a variety of guitars -- Gretsches, Rics, Fenders, Epiphones, bass guitars... - but the one I finally got, played for awhile and said, "what the hell was I waiting for" was the Telecaster. That guitar really does answer all my guitar prayers. Can do just about everything, easy to play, cool to look at.

2. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I concur.... Had everything, got to the Tele, and settled down.
    Man, It's like another wife.......

3. dougmon

dougmon Tele-Meister

Mine's a Baja Tele. Not just that it's a Baja, but I played a Strat for years; while the Strat is a good guitar, the Tele is just better for me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  4. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

I've played teles since the start but just recently I feel n love with my 72 reissue thinline tele. Its great for humbucker times but still sounds like a tele. Love it but used to think out was blasphemy to put buckers in a tele

5. avagadro

avagadro Tele-Meister

I had a good friend that worked in a music store. Over a couple years I bought several nice guitars from him. He always had something interesting that he would bring out to show me, either at his home or at work. This was in the mid 70's so there was still lots of good stuff floating around. I remember him breaking out a Gibson S1, a Gibson Ls on another occasion, a nice Jazzmaster, an Es 175, he just always had something that I had never played or heard before. On day at his apartment he brought out a Ibanez Tele thinline copy and told me what a nice guitar it was. Said it had a nice acoustic zing but still had most of the bite and twang of a good tele. Years later, in the 90's, I was still thinking about that guitar. One day I called every music store and pawnshop in a 50 mile radius. I found one Ibanez Tele thinline for $500, about double what they had sold for back in the 70's. Seemed a little high to me so I didn't bother taking a ride to look at it. A couple months later I was at a very long time music store in the center of town. On the wall they had an MIJ Fender Telecast thinline for $450. I had to make arrangements to borrow some cash and then it was mine. What a sweet guitar. So glad I kept it in my thoughts all those years and so happy I had such a good friend that showed me all those great guitars when we were younger.

6. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

My 2005 Gibson LP Special. I call it my where have you been all my like guitar.

7. Dwills94

Dwills94 Tele-Meister

Danelectro U-1. Possibly the most fun I've ever had with a guitar. For 119 bucks used it's really hard to beat. It's just distinctive sounding and kinda allows you to focus on your playing instead of fiddling with a bunch of controls, that's the beauty of all one pickup guitars IMO. Plug in and go, Crank the amp if you want, Maybe a little reverb and you're solid. Plus mines lavender, lavender is such a great color for guitar, but you just don't see it that often.

8. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

It's just a Tokai, but the single P-90 les Paul jr. Copy I got for $400 was like "well, duh, obviously."

9. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Custom made acoustics.

Gretsch Electromatic hollowbody.

10. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Mid 90s MIM standard, I had two real beaters backin the 70s, convinced myself that chords were beyond me and took up bass. Took awhile but finally gotta decent guitar, and went from there ...

11. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

My Baja. What took me so long?

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

+1

Lotta guitars of all different kinds in the past but I can be pretty happy w/ even a crappy Tele.

13. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

All of current guitars fall in to this catagory

1) My Telecaster.
    2) My G&L Legacy.
    3) My Ephiphone Dot Studio
    4) My Epiphone DR-90 Limited Edition acoustic
    5) My Epiphone DR-212 12 String acoustic
    6) My Epiphone Viola Bass

These are all instruments that I wish I would have stumbled upon a whole lot sooner than I did, for various reasons.

The reality, though, is that I'm happy beyond measure that I can play them. It wasn't all that long ago when I thought I was going to have to give up on every aspect of music aside from singing. Ten years ago, I thought I'd never be able to play even "farmer chords" on any acoustic, and the idea of playing a 12 string seemed beyond the realm of fantasy.

T-C

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Martin D-15. I got my first real wooden acoustic when I was 32 years old.

15. renhoek

renhoek TDPRI Member

1957 Hofner President electric. I held out from buying one for ages because I'd heard horror stories about the playability of old Hofners, but mine actually plays really nicely and it's my go-to guitar for that 1950s sound.

16. Carlsson

Carlsson Tele-Holic

Tele.

17. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

+1. Always wanted one, more than a strat, more than a Gibson. Got one earlier this year... Why not earlier?

18. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I got a 1953 ES175 in 1981. Back then guitars weren't so expensive. Cost around $600. That axe opened my ears & fingers to a world of sound that had eluded me before that -- the "true" Wes, Martino, Hall, Benson, etc. sound. Life-changing. Unfortunately I don't have that axe anymore, but it taught me a lot. I actually think about that guitar just about every day, even though "she" was lost to me in 1994; copped off the rack of Metro North while I was snoozing coming back from a gig. Now that those older axes are so $$$$$$$$, I will never get one again, I'm afraid.

19. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

SG for me. I only ended up with one because I did a trade for another guitar. I thought I would keep it a while and then move it on... but if I do, it will only be to make way for one with P-90s!

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mine's a James Goodall RCJC.
    Two of my friends have Goodall guitars, and I was
    impressed with their tone, and beauty/build quality.
    Mine is warm sounding, even, articulate and loud.
    I've had it for almost three years now, and it's my all
    time favorite acoustic.
    For electric guitars, its my 2003 Gretsch 1959 Nashville Classic.
    Both instruments have ebony fretboards, 25 1/2" scales, and 1 3/4" nut widths.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.