What Was Your Most Recent Close Call?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Aug 12, 2018.

1. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

(SHUDDER) :eek:

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My last real close call was at 1:55 AM on November 14, 2015.
    I had just finished my regular Friday (the 13th, this time) gig with my dear friend, bass player Bill C.
    We both have done this piano bar gig since the mid 1980s.
    What happened at 1:55 that early morning is still hard to believe.
    On my way home, I stopped for a red light.
    When the light changed to green, I proceeded into the intersection.
    I was hit in the center of the intersection, and the impact was like nothing I had ever experienced.
    I felt like a rocket hit my PT Cruiser.
    It caved in my driver’s side door and broke the window.
    I was driven about twenty yards west of the intersection.
    My head and face were bloodied, and my right knee hurt.
    What I did not know at first was that I was not the first vehicle hit.
    My dear friend Bill (who left the club before me) pulled into the same intersection simultaneously, caught the green light, and was T-boned by a red light running 21 year old drunk driver.
    The impact drove his car into mine.
    Bill was killed.
    I didn’t know know until the next day that Bill was in the other car that was hit.
    I actually called, and texted him for help after I crawled out of the passenger side of my car.
    I texted, “I’ve been in a wreck, I’m OK, holler when you can.”
    Had Bill not pulled into the intersection simultaneously to me, I would have been hit, and no doubt, killed.
    He saved my life.
    He left a wife of 35 years, two great grown children and two grandsons.
    He had just retired from 30 years with the IRS.
    He was 60.
    I stay in touch with his brother, widow and kids.
    He’s been irreplaceable both as a friend, and musical partner.
    Unbelievable, and unbelievably sad.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

I am glad you made it through it Bill ! But words can’t express the sorrow for your loss :( that has to be tough just to share !

4. brookdalebill

Thanks, I know you have been through a lot lately, too.

Nickadermis likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe you're lucky she didn't stalk you and boil your rabbit.......and I don't mean an actual "rabbit"....;)

6. FenderGyrl

I am so sorry that this happened.
    God Bless you and yours, and the family of your friend. Just so sad ... :(

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Not so much a close call as a direct hit. Airbags are cool, the car was done but no one in it was hurt. Put a different spin on the conversation I've been having with myself about giving up riding motorycles on the street though...

37040355_10214510441466432_5708672866858303488_o.jpg

Nickadermis likes this.
  8. FenderGyrl

Glad your okay.
    Just goes to show tomorrow is promised to no one. Geeez ... :confused:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    brookdalebill and Nickadermis like this.
  9. PacificChris

PacificChris Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Holy s**t. That's horrible. It's also the same day exactly that my son was killed in Louisiana by not a drunk driver but a distracted one. The driver got a ticket for speeding (53 in a 35 zone). Would you mind sharing what happened to the driver that killed your friend? Did he (I assume it was a he) do jail or prison time?

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I hate the idea of revenge, but it's all I had for a long time. I'm starting to get over that part.

10. brookdalebill

Sorry for your loss, too.

The driver got a ten year sentence.

PacificChris likes this.
  11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

So sorry Bill.
    There are no words my friend.

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

A close call of a different kind but hugely dangerous.
    Two years ago Scummers took $5,000 out of my Credit Union account via my computer.
    Again, a recent attempt that actually showed me my account numbers and some old passwords.
    Fortunately none were matched. Scared me s...less. So I took my computer to a military electronics engineer and he got their PI number. Once you've reported that- they are st.....ed.
    Good on you Fendergyrl.
    Hopefully those Asian scummers will be stopped on this sight.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  13. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

I was out at the lake fishing and I fell backward on the big rocks on the shore. Lucky I didn't hit my head and kill myself.

14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

The last couple of weeks, I worked almost 50 miles across town. 2+ hour commutes – brutal. The only saving grace was that the drives were on the clock.

Anyhow, I got to know the route, and the good and bad times, very well.

We get off a little early one day. I can either get right on the road a bit early and save maybe 15 minutes off my normal commute time home, or I can wait out the traffic for two and a half hours, and shave an hour off my commute. (I would sit drinking iced teas and reading at the local In-N-Out Burger on the nights I decided to wait out the traffic.)

I decide to just go for it this day. So I get directly onto the freeway.

I'm driving my work van full of gear, which has enough power once it gets going, but is a little slow to get off the line (not horribly slow, though). There's this Xa Scion who is upset at me, but won't get around me even though the lane to do so is there. He rides my ass up the hairpin ramp, even though he could have gone around. He rides my ass along the short transition to the next freeway ramp (only about 1/4 mile), again, even though there was another lane to the left that also went onto the next freeway. All along the next ramp, he acts like he wants to get around me, but won't do it, then a big hump/seam in the road slows him down and he backs off a bit. The lanes on the ramp merge and he has to get behind me. We enter the freeway, and I signal left to merge. He gets behind me. I signal left again, and start to change lanes. He tries to beat me, again with no signal, but I am already in the lane. He rides my ass even closer about another 1/4 mile as I get up to freeway speed in the number 3 lane (that's the third lane from the left).

I have to slow down because traffic is ahead. FINALLY, he tries to jam around me to the left, but instantly loses control. He overcorrects, and swerves back right hard. RIGHT AT the side of my van. He gets about two feet from creaming me, overcorrects even worse, swerves hard left, and plows nose first into the center divided. Car totaled instantly.

15. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Was driving my elderly parents up from their winter home in Florida. Doing about 80-85 on I77 in South Carolina, in the slow lane.

Landscapers truck and empty trailer passed us then went over the expansion joint of a bridge. Empty trailer bounced around and the steel tube (homemade fabricated) headache rack at the front came loose and hit the roadway.

Sparks flying, it's spinning flat on the road surface. I managed to avoid running over it, but the guy in the compact next to me went over it. Blew at least his front 2 tires (heard them POP, over the sound of his squealing brakes, and my dad's WATCH IT! WATCH IT! WATCH IT!).

He said I'd better get off at the next exit to "check to make sure I hadn't hit it" (I knew I hadn't, but was a little shaken so did as he asked).

On the OP, I was making a sandwich on night after being out drinking. Sliced the garden tomato with a steak knife (Sabatier set, nicely serrated with a sharp point).

I dropped the knife and it landed point first right between my little toe and the one next to it. Point right into the tender skin in between, must have hit a vein (the ones I've heard junkies use so they can conceal the injection site) because it bled dark blood for about a half hour.

Of course it's possible the BAL had me flowing a lot more freely. Also might not have been making enough vitamin K (liver, responsible for clotting).

16. playforfun

playforfun Tele-Holic

I am so sorry for your loss.

17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Holic

Well, there was this time I was wanting to shake the crumbs out of a brushed aluminium toaster that, because of its curved design, I just couldn’t pick up and turn over, as it just kept slipping out of my hands. Then I thought, “Hey, the two slots make a handle...”

RCD to the rescue.

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I nearly rolled the ride on mower last week... whew, close one...:oops:

I was turning off a small bank and it just went over on it's side, tossed me off, then stayed on it's edge/back wheel as the cut out switch killed it.... I'm lucky it didn't keep coming over on me.... it took some grunt to flip it back on it's wheels as I was on my own......

My last mower had a wider deck which acted like an outrigger keeping it on it's wheels in a situation like this.... this latest old rancher has a single cutter deck and it appears it is more prone to tipping..... I'll keep that in mind in future..

I have just put new corks in the drive clutches and it has a lot more drive .. at least it's faster now...:twisted:

FenderGyrl likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.