1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was your first real gig experience....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ghostdriver, Nov 13, 2020.

1. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

My guitar teacher invited me to play with him at a Sunday gig up near the Canadian border 1961 or 62 something like that. Canada had all bars closed back then on Sunday so they came across the border to drink and dance. This little town called Sumas, WA had a dance hall and it was literally packed! Probably 200-300 people.
    I didn't know what the hell I was doing! I think I was probably 14 years old. No rehearsals etc, Ernie said: "just play along". Ernie would look over at me say "take it" WTH? I could hardly play the chords!
    At break I had to either stay on stage or go outside as I was under age.
    "Ole Ern" we used to call him. Everyone wanted to get a hold of his "little black book" with all the gig contacts in it!
    In his 80's I bought a BFDR and BF Pro Rev from him. He wouldn't let go of his old Jazzmaster though.
    Ole Ern finally died a few years ago in his 90's.

A couple years after Sumas Old Ern got us a gig at the local Navy Base enlisted men's club, my Dad video'd it on 8mm:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    RodeoTex and Old Plank like this.
  2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, I've written something similar in other "what was your first concert" threads.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

You guys must all be youngsters. ;)
    My first concert experience must have been around 1954 or so. (I would have been about three) My parents took me to the Ft Worth Symphony, and somewhere there's a snapshot of me, hand in hand with my mom and dad, walking up to the Will Rogers Auditorium.
    My first "popular" music concert would have been around 1962 0r 3......Peter Paul and Mary at the TCU campus.....my mother took me, and nearly every one was wearing coats and ties, with women in dresses. I got Noel Paul Stookey's autograph on a souvenir program, which I still have today.
    My first ROCK concert was Vanilla Fudge, supported by a fledgling group called Three Dog Night, and fantastic local band Sundown Collection. Also at Will Rogers, about 1968. One of the best shows I EVER saw......and I saw some doozies! :)

Old Plank likes this.
  4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know that Jim Seals was his brother!

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

That would be Sammy Hagar in 1980. I was just 17.

6. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup!
    Both super-talented guys!
    RIP, Dan.

kookaburra likes this.
  7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Spring 1983 at the Ector County Concert Hall in Odessa Texas.

Def Leppard, Krokus and a couple of other bands. I really went for Def Leppard (Pyromania Tour) but did a little head banging with Krokus.

I bought a Pyro T shirt which I wore proudly until this girl I liked said she liked it. We were at a party so I took the shirt off and suggested we trade. I was 15 at the time and thought I had game, lol. She took my shirt and put it on over hers and I never saw that shirt again after the girl left the party.

8. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

guns n' roses, metallica, faith no more.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.