1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was your first real gig experience....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Ghostdriver, Nov 13, 2020.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just want to point out that generally speaking, when you use the term "gig" it's a performance that your band or act is presenting

2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

OP is English, we use 'going to a gig' to mean going to see a band.... generally speaking.

... anyway, mine was

Showaddywaddy, Portsmouth Guildhall.

My friends parents took me, I was about 8, so..... it would have been about 1977-1978

Ghostdriver likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

that's interesting, and in some contexts "gigging" means going to catch frogs, I believe

Old Plank likes this.
  4. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Rolling Stones at MSG, 1975 - I was 14.

RodeoTex and Old Plank like this.
  5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

First big show was Bob Dylan in Buffalo in the late 70s, it was awesome!

Old Plank likes this.
  6. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Sha-na-na in 1980! Loved the tv show, so my folks took me to a show. Still dig it from time to time and even play a few of theirs

7. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Pretty cool that a lot of these first gig experiences were for serious A-List artists and bands. Zeppelin? The Beatles? Dylan? Springsteen? What a show to see!

I think my first concert was James Taylor at The Royal Albert Hall. Would have been in the 90s.

Old Plank and brookdalebill like this.
  8. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

First live concert event, Andres Segovia, Chicago 1982
    First rock concert.... Rush, Chicago 1982

brookdalebill and Old Plank like this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Outside of tourist trap shows my parents took me to on various vacation destinations (most of which I’d rather forget)...

My first concert was the Georgia Satellites at Six Flags Over Texas—Arlington Senior Night 1988.

They were much better and more talented than their only radio hit...great show.

10. farmcaster

farmcaster TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Emerson Lake & Palmer, World Series of Rock, Cleveland Municipal Stadium August 4, 1974. Climax Blues Band & James Gang opening. I was 14. Went to several of these shows at the stadium, including CSNY, 88,000 people in attendance.

Old Plank likes this.
  11. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, my father used to get us front row tickets to the local fair shows through his work. I can't remember the order, but we saw Eddie Rabbit, Ronnie Milsap, Roy Clark, John Conlee, Charlie Pride, and Lee Greenwood. Somewhere in that stretch, they also took me to see Johnny Cash and Alabama.

As a teenager, my first concert I attended with friends was ZZ Top in 85 at the Montreal Forum. Good times!

12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

It was a Jefferson Airplane free concert in Los Angeles at Griffith Park back in the 60's. Lot's of smokin, tokin and trippin and then damned L.A.P.D. showed up and chased us all down the road.:(

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    Old Plank likes this.
  13. Teddyjack

Teddyjack Tele-Afflicted

My Dad took me to see the Dubliners when I was around 10 or 11. I loved the show.

14. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Doobie Brothers, a week after my 10th birthday ('80), Reunion Arena, Dallas TX. Absolute magic.

As it happens I watched their induction video to the R&R HoF last night, and boy it was something. Still love those guys like few other bands.

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Journey at the Old Waldorf right before they hit it big. They played for an hour and then introduced their new singer, Steve Perry. They then did the entire Infinity album which hadn't been released yet. October 28, 1977.

I was 14 and was with my mother and a family friend who took us to the show. My mom was a police dispatcher, and the people sitting next to us were doing lines.

joe_cpwe and buster poser like this.
  16. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Chicago (formerly Transit Authority), late 1970 ... my buddies and I were high school sophomores and my Dad dropped us off at my sister's college campus.

Over the rest of high school, saw Jethro Tull (Aqualung tour), Dizzy Gillespie Big Band, Jonathan Edwards, Seals and Crofts, J. Geils Band a few times. The day I got my driver's license at 16, my girlfriend and I headed down to Boston to see Cat Stevens, arrived right at rush hour and got a big wake-up call about driving in the big city, never even made it to the venue and finally escaped out of town headed back north a few hours later with my tail between my legs!

brookdalebill likes this.
  17. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

Mine was Black Sabbath - Mob Rules tour at Toronto's CNE stadium. There was a thunderstorm that night which made it all the more amazing... life changing

Old Plank likes this.
  18. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

My Chinese friends visited and I showed them my rig and my playing, turning my SVT all the way up for the first time. Lights in the room were blinking with my playing. Need to fix that.

Doesn't count? You know that one is the loneliest number, but two make the world go round?

19. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

You mentioned this recently I think. So jealous. They were absolutely it for me for a few years there between Evolution & Escape (I saw them on that tour in '81, same venue as the Doobs). Hard to describe 'San Francisco' as a mental image for me as a kid. Bullitt, Dirty Harry, Santana, Doobs, Journey, and it never really let up.

Dismalhead likes this.
  20. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

going to some battle of the bands to see some really good blues player that was a former student of my guitar teacher when i was like 8.

otherwise i think either bucky pizzarelli somewhere in NJ, or les paul at the iridium in NYC.

but i guess if you want to get technical, shortly before i popped out of the womb i was at a narciso yepes concert in the 80s.

Old Plank likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.