1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was your first guitar, and do you still have it?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Richie Cunningham, Jul 18, 2020.

Do you still have your first guitar?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Dang right it’s getting played! Look at that finger board!

wildOGpizza likes this.
  2. wildOGpizza

wildOGpizza TDPRI Member

Was my only guitar from like 1991-1995 when I got a 1974 Ibenez Les Paul that I traded toward a Gibson ES-135 in 1996. I had to sell that in 2001, and I played the S6 exclusively until this past year when I got my Telecaster. -Thousands of hours logged on it. I love that guitar lol.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That’s awesome

That’s one thing relics and such never/can’t get right is the way rosewood starts to look after 30 years of finger grease and time

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

My first electric guitar was a MIJ probably Teisco Fender Coronado copy that I bought at a pawn shop on Beale Street downtown Memphis.
    My actual first guitar was some cheap acoustic my mom got at a garage sale, don't have either one.

Interestingly I saw a picture of Jimmie Vaughan playing one live somewhere.

1st electric.JPG

Zepfan likes this.
  5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

A cheap Kay acoustic that I got for my 9th birthday in 1964. Beatles-inspired o' course. It was nearly unplayable. Not long after the bridge cracked and needed repair. Finally got an Aria acoustic when a H.S. junior, and have no recollection of what-all happened to the Kay. But it did get me going on guitar addiction, so, thanks old Kay!

6. Bjackcity

Bjackcity Tele-Meister

Yes, Japanese made Diastone.
    7CC14868-0085-4121-A9A4-21D669912187.jpeg 751A046F-A74A-4865-9AEB-BA4B12A797DE.jpeg

7. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Yamaha Pacifica 112 about 1990 when they first came out, now with DiMarzio Hotrails.

IMG_20200720_121344.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  8. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

'75 Yamaha FG-160, one and only owner.

[​IMG]

9. JukeJointJunkie

JukeJointJunkie Tele-Meister

1st electirc was a used Teisco Del Ray. Blue sparkle. Acoustic-wise, I don't remember the brand but it was new and actually not a bad little guitar. Circa 1975.

10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes a Nagoya F-10 - around '75
    Nagoya.png

11. bradpdx

bradpdx Friend of Leo's

It was 1970, I was 12. It was a POS nylon string that appeared to have been made by a 5th grade demon shop class. It was evil and actively discouraged music making. When I was 15, I scored a wonderful small Martin and actually started playing.

My mother still has that nasty nylon string in her attic, I tell her to please get rid of it to no avail. The Martin (a 1938 0-17) got horse traded for other Martins eons ago. Wish I still had it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

looks like this...
    [​IMG]

it's a 1959 6124. My wife, (then GF) bought for me in like 1981

WalthamMoosical and zippofan like this.
  13. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Yes, mid-70's Japanese made Ampeg "Heavy Stud" Telecaster copy, the headstock is my avatar. It's amazing I do have it, as I got in in '78 or so, and just about every band I played in the guitarist would borrow it. Lost the ashtray cover, the neck humbucker stopped working but everything else is ok. I replaced the humbucker eventually with a GFS Dream 90 (Strat in a humbucker casing) and get it out now and again to play. 24.75" scale, weird sized bridge and bridge pickup, all plywood construction!

stud.JPG

14. Heavyweek

Heavyweek Tele-Meister

A sunburst 57 JV Squier Strat. It now lives in my son's room though I'm thinking of claiming it back and talking him into having something else.

15. Leonardocoate

Leonardocoate Tele-Meister

Late 60's Kent Classical....long gone, it got me started

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i posted earlier about how my very first guitar went missing and made it's way back to me sixteen years later.

17. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Afflicted

Kingston electric bought out of a catalog, probably Wards. It was in 1965. When I moved up to a Holiday (made by Harmony) I sold my Kingston to our next door neighbor for $10.00, at a dollar a week. I checked with him years later and he no longer had it.

18. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

My first acoustic was a Sears Silvertone that I borrowed from my brother for a summer recreation course in 1977. That year for Christmas my parents bought me a acoustic guitar just like this one. It is a Westminster.

7C4312FB-12A8-449A-972B-D0636479F4F3.jpeg

I loaned that guitar to a friend and never got it back. After all these years I found this one on reverb and I bought it just to have it. My first electric was given to me by The hippie son of an old neighbor. He was a drummer and saw me playing on the front porch. He went back in the house and brought out a guitar and said “if you can fit it, it’s yours”. It was Matthew the bridge so I took it in to the local music store and bought a gold tune o matic bridge for $10 and my older brother help me put it in place. That one I Also gave away At some point after I had bought several other electrics. I am always on the hunt to replace that one as well...it look just like this

CD78EF96-8036-46AF-AF99-1C374B8D39DD.jpeg

19. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

My first real guitar (that is, not counting the unplayable 3/4 size POS that my parents bought me when I was 8) was an Alvarez dreadnought that I bought with high school graduation money. Yes, I still have it.

20. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

Ibanez Roadstar II, circa 1984. I traded it to my bass player for her 70's era Epiphone acoustic. I still have the acoustic and she still has the Ibanez...

Here's me and my matching dad in 1987.

Dad.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.