1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was your first guitar, and do you still have it?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Richie Cunningham, Jul 18, 2020.

Do you still have your first guitar?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

a "boat anchor"???:confused: Is that a Marshall lead12 (my first real amp)?

2. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

AT

Fretting out likes this.
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I don't have my first guitar, but I do have the first guitar I ever played, my Dad's 1950s Framus archtop.

Fretting out likes this.
  4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

My first guitar was given to me in the late 1960's as a birthday or Christmas gift.
    It was from Sears & Roebuck or Montgomery Ward, I can't recall.

It was stolen by the movers somewhere between state-side and Germany.

Years later in 1976 I bought my first ever guitar with my own money.
    I worked at Hardee's at the time, and I saved up my money and bought it brand new.
    Epiphone FT120 it was, and I owned it and carried it around the world for 43 years.

The old girl developed a warped neck, and was only good for the basic cowboy chords, and couldn't tolerate steel strings, so I kept nylon strings on her.

Last year I found myself pulling it out of the old original case to try and figure out why and how the neck was warped, and I endeavored to fix it.
    After disassembling it, I put in a vice to bend it straight after soaking it, and applied some much-needed torque with some 2x4's that were viced just so.
    After several days with it set that way, and drying it out thoroughly, I reassembled it, and strung it up.
    It was much better, and sounded and felt just about right.

For reasons only known to God, I polished her up real pretty, put her in the case, and drove her down to Bradford, the local drug & alcohol addiction treatment center. Gave it to them for the in-patient addicts and alcoholics to have and play. (I have given them three or four guitars over the years.)

Good karma, I reckon.

:oops:

Epiphone autopsy.jpg the epiphone.jpg

Fretting out and tubegeek like this.
  5. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

What was your first guitar, and do you still have it?

Yes, in its original factory case :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I also still have my 1st amp :

[​IMG]

-tbln

Fretting out and glenlivet like this.
  6. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Black Magnum LP copy. Traded it.....

7. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Sears Silvertone Classical 1970.

[​IMG]

Bob

Fretting out likes this.
  8. SASouth

SASouth Tele-Meister

My first was a Kent 834. I traded it in on a brand new Gibson ES-325 back in the early ‘70s.

Late last year one popped up on Reverb so I grabbed it. It actually plays pretty well.

upload_2020-7-19_10-40-24.jpeg

John Owen, Zepfan and Fretting out like this.
  9. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

My first electric guitar is a 68tele which I still have and play. All original except a refin. Still have and use a 67super reverb. Also bought new. A6308E44-B719-4600-A81B-8E40643EB652.jpeg

Fretting out and JRtele like this.
  10. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Slang for: It weighed a ton. And yes, good eye! That was a Marshall Lead 12. I wish I still had it.

11. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

I moved out at 17, lived in dorms and barracks. Grew up, bought a few houses and new guitars.
    My mom found it about 10 years after I left as she was moving and sent it my way across the country.

Hence “hidden”

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Still have mine. Although it's been rebuilt and modified a couple times. the original parts are pickguard, body, pickup mounting rings, switch mount rings and tremolo tail piece. It's a 60's Encore made in Japan and bought used by my oldest brother in 1970 at a pawn shop in Memphis. It looked like this one when he got it: Vintage-1960s-Encore-Teisco-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar-_1.jpg He gave it me in 1979 when I was 14. The pickups were extremely microphonic and would pickup radio/CBRadio chatter from nearby highway, feedback was like a banshee. I solved the feedback and radio chatter by wrapping the bottom of the pickups with foam and electrical tape. Those pickups are now residing in another guitar and sound like a cross between a Tele bridge and a P90.
    The neck was broke in two at the nut when my 3 year old knocked it over. I first put a 25.5" scale neck on it and a couple Dimarzio HB's in it, but wasn't happy with it. Then it was changed with a Maple neck w/RW fingerboard and 24.5" scale. The electronics were changed along with the pickups. Neck: Firebird Bridge: A5 Fat Minibucker wired to a small varitone switch with .033 cap/no tone/.022 cap choices. It has a stereo jack with 2 round piezo wire in parallel on the other side, but the piezo's rarely gets used. DSCF3611.JPG Painted Dupli-Color Perfect Match Universal Black Metalflake.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Fiesta Red and Fretting out like this.
  13. chegel01

chegel01 TDPRI Member

Ouch! I would be pissed!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

soundchaser59 likes this.
  14. johmica

johmica Tele-Holic

The first guitar I started learning on was my grandad's - an old Silverstone archtop.

After I'd played that for several months, my dad got me a Fender Musicmaster for Christmas.

My uncle still has the Silvertone, and has offered to let me have it back, but I'm in no hurry. I gave the Musicmaster to an aspiring young beginner about 25 years ago.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Mine was a red Shafer guitar from Colton Piano in CA. They sold Schafer & Sons pianos.

16. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

My bandmate bought a cherry SB the same day but kept the mini's it came with - they were super hot.

Fretting out likes this.
  17. Case-o-dilla

Case-o-dilla TDPRI Member

I had an Esteban classical guitar. What a hunk o crap!

18. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

No, my first and second guitars are gone now. My third, however, rests comfortable in its case and comes out when I need some nice acoustic goodness. Ms. Idjster will get rid of it when I'm gone.

19. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I have a 1973 BC Rich B28 acoustic, with Braz Rosewood. My 1973 Gibson J45 deluxe gets more playing time, not sure why.

20. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first guitar was a Yamaha FG75. Carried it around for a long time and didn’t play it. Sold it in a garage sale about eight years ago. Wish I had it. It had a high neck I could now easily correct.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.