1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was your first guitar, and do you still have it?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Richie Cunningham, Jul 18, 2020.

Do you still have your first guitar?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BBenderNut

BBenderNut TDPRI Member

I still have my Washburn WD32S. Got it when I was 14 for Christmas. That guitar has served me well at many campfires/bonfires. It even survived college parties, taking a swim in a couple pools, and jams on the beach. It still sounds good...though I should probably have a pro give her a real tune up. She's been through a lot. It's wonder we're both alive :lol:. I did some recordings with it recently if you want to hear her 17 years later: https://smellytele.com/washburn-wd32s/

wildOGpizza likes this.
  2. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

First bass - 1994 Samick... something or other. Only sold it two years ago.

First guitar... that I can remember - was some Ibanez Roadstar II I bought at a pawnshop for $120. Played it to death, literally. Should've kept the body and neck, but I was poor as hell and couldn't afford to hold on to "junk", so dumped it. I was an idiot.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

No worries, Yep Australia , AU as in the Aussie dollar $, unsure what Austria is?

Fretting out likes this.
  4. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

It was an MIC Strat copy in 3 tone sunburst. Played great actually! I loved the bridge pup on it.
    I sold it to a singer I was playing with in high school when she wanted an electric.

5. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Like my long lost first guitar, it may show up one day, keep looking :)

6. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a daily guitar calendar and this Les Paul Signature is the guitar today! (Actually Saturday AND Sunday)

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  7. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

JHS jazz bass copy, sold with all my rig when I got married, bet that's a familiar story

8. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My first guitar was a red Kay Starter Series electric guitar. I remember the name and the color. I couldn’t have told you how many or what kind of pickups were in it. It was gone within a year. It looked like this.

B97F88BE-A36E-4C77-9E76-89963BB27F32.jpeg

Fretting out likes this.
  9. rokasjmusic

rokasjmusic TDPRI Member

My very first guitar was black Starsun acoustic made in China. I still have it
    First electric was Ltd H - 50. Sold

10. bob

bob TDPRI Member

First guitar was 1959 Gibson ES 330. Bought it for $110 dollars. Near mint. Unfortunately it is long gone. 63A06364-DD56-4EA7-BF81-1EE870138A46.jpeg

Fretting out and tubegeek like this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

It's a very cool guitar, a local NoVa home dealer actually has a 1976 Les Paul Signature, and I played it for a few minutes. But I could never afford one now. Costs a bit more than $250!

I did just get a nice ( 2018) Epi SG, and up the road I may have the pickups wired for an out-of-phase option, as that is something the LP sig. had. I'd like that now.

12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Still have it. A Danelectro '59DC from the first tranche of Evets reissues. A Beatnik Burgundy beauty.

It's so good, it's never being let go.

13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first was a Hondo II bass which was a shared purchase with a friend. I think he still may have it, but I doubt it. I replaced that with a maple Carvin LB50 stereo bass with an ebony board that I bought in early 1983, which I still have and play. That bass has literally been around the world with me while serving in the U.S. Navy.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I no longer have my first guitar like instrument, a early 60's Christmas gift. It even had built-in effects! Sadly, my little brother destroyed it when he was a toddler.

beany_and_cecil_guitar.jpg

I also no longer have my first real guitar, this Sears catalog acoustic bought in 1970 with my summer lawn mowing money. I sold this warped neck hunk of junk at a garage sale for $15 in 1992.

sears catalog acoustic.png

I do still own my first electric guitar, a 1963 Strat I bought in 1986. The previous owner had modded a lot in a crazy tonequest (stripped the finish, Schecter pickguard unit, new saddle, new tuners) and had to sell it cheap on consignment to pay a DUI fine.

1963 Strat.jpg

15. Twelvefrets

Twelvefrets Tele-Meister

51673B0B-66ED-49E8-B347-855B2C88BCF2.jpeg 1937 f-hole Martin, looked like this one, inherited family guitar. Looked better than it sounded. Sold it in 1969 to buy another Martin (D-35); kept that guitar for 30 years, then sold it for 5 times purchase price, bought my first Collings-D-3. The story continues...

16. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

Yamaha FG bought from Service Merchandise, soon after my first music store purchase was an Ibanez ST-50.

Both are gone, I’ve since bought several guitars that are basically variations of that Ibanez studio, a very good guitar.

17. eddnix

eddnix Tele-Meister

Ah, I miss my Teisco/Woolworths Top Twenty. I hated it at the time, but I'd love another one now. As soon as I see one at the right price...

18. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

No name nylon string guitar my parents bought for my 10th birthday. As a teenager I put steel strings on it, which didn't end well.

19. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

my first guitars:
    -an early 80s asian strat-like neck through e-guitar with horrible dull pickups
    -a selfmade (by the father of my then best friend) 3/4 acoustic guitar (steel strings)..I don't have both anymore..

My first "real" guitars were:
    -a Yamaha FG 340 (I've heard George Harrison owned one,too)
    - a high quality strat by a luthier. The neck is on a Telecaster now and the mahagony body is kind of a wreck or in other words:looks pretty much like a Frankenstein (EVH) without paintwork

It used to be a normal 3sc strat/vintage trem...but then,1984, EVH/Hair Metal came into my life and you all know what that meant: routings for the FR and the new bridge "engine" hb, new paintwork etc.

20. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

why was it "hidden"???:confused:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.