1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was your first guitar, and do you still have it?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Richie Cunningham, Jul 18, 2020.

Do you still have your first guitar?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

First guitar was a cheap Woolworth acoustic that my parents bought me when it was time to take music lessons; I was ten and when everyone in my class chose piano, I went with guitar just to be different. My teacher at school showed me a few first position chords, and taught me to strum to folk songs, but I gave it up after a couple of years. My second guitar, purchased after I discovered The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer was a Hondo Les Paul clone that I purchased for a couple of hundred bucks at Sunset Music in Willingboro, NJ (which was also the home of a fantastic guitar teacher whom I learned a lot from). It weighed a ton, and when my mom died and we sold her house, I had a cousin who was a wiz on eBay sell it:

[​IMG]
    First "real" guitar was a 1983 Gibson Les Paul Custom. That one I still have and play all the time (despite it also being a boat anchor):

[​IMG]

stormsedge likes this.
  2. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

1967 Gibson Blonde B25. Bought new - long gone.

3. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

49CE84AB-AFC3-44D6-9EA4-4E44B16C68CB.jpeg
    It was a Squier PtoTone Strat. My mother and father took to me Cranes music Cardiff Xmas time 1998 to get it.

Had my heart set on a (cheaper) Tele but the sales guy and my father talked me into the strat. “A strat has got more sounds”. I didn’t know any better.

My first and last Strat. Just can’t get on with them.

stormsedge likes this.
  4. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

A red Fender Strat, it was one of those MIM ones a level below the standard series, had a black logo, can't remember the proper name. It was good! I traded it to a guy who parted it out. I don't really miss it for anything other than the neck was worn in from years of playing. The hardware was all metric. A good starter for sure, though.

5. BradL

BradL Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Gibson 62 RI from 1988. I remember the decision in the shop came down to this or a U2.

[​IMG]

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I get a 'two-fer', please:

I bought my first acoustc Summer 1975 ( after 1 year of borrowing a HS classmates Classical to try to learn some basics)
    A 1975 Nagoya N-28, it was a D-28 copy ( all laminated and Nagoya, was Veneman's Music of DC-area, acoustic import brand)
    It was a fantastic, beautiful RW guitar. The bridge came up in mid '80" . and not worth a repair. I gave it to an employee buddy in 1992.

#2- in 1976 Summer, I bought my first electric-
    a new 1976 Gibson Les Paul Signature. Knew nothing about the guitar other than it said ' Les Paul ' on it ( " I think Les Pauls are really good!") it was gold, and $250.
    Also got it at Veneman's. Guitar with HSC, cord, strap, AND Yamaha G50-112 amp= $500!
    Sadly all electric stuff ( a couple pedals too) would be stolen Nov. 1980 after a College Halloween Party/jam in a home basement. :(
    Here is pic of similar Les Paul Signature
    ( someday I'll get another, ha!)
    01717_dVm9nvqcAiF_600x450.jpg

7. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

Here is a picture of my first guitar, a Squier Affinity "Tele", and my first REAL guitar, a MIM Fender Stratocaster. I still have both, the Squier is in a case, the white Strat I use all the time. Also my first REAL amp... the VOX AC15C1, which I also still have. I have bought and sold SO many guitars and amps... these I still have. 26819_110461108971913_3144079_n.jpg

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  8. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

It was a '70s Mansfield Goldtop bolt-on, traded it in on a 1962 Jazzmaster.

[​IMG]

Several years ago, I gathered up a bunch of parts and made a fairly close duplicate.

[​IMG]

Fretting out likes this.
  9. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

A $75 nylon-string Goya.

Ugh! Try bending THOSE strings!

10. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apart from my family's cheap Sears undersized guitar, up to which I moved from a ukulele, my own first "real" guitar, which I still have, is a Harmony archtop, apparently model H1213, which I bought used in the mid-70's. The action is absurdly high.

A few moths later I bought a used electric guitar, the make and model of which I never knew until a few months ago when I finally got The Internet to let me know that it is a Teisco-made, tulip-style ET-200; I still have this one too.

I don't play either of them.

11. tele-nova

tele-nova Tele-Meister

Black and white Harmony electric from the Sears catalog. I still have it and the amp that came with it.

12. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

That’s the year I got the first guitar that was “mine”around nov 2003 I got a new Jackson student level superstrat
    A couple years ago I drunkenly tried to shave the necks heel and ruined it, I’m not into the skinny neck but would like to get a replacement sometime for old times sake
    The electronics were terrible and ultra microphonic in every position

My parents got me it for my birthday, I’m guessing it was maybe 300 dollars or so, if I knew what I know today I probably would have gotten one of the used mij Ibanez guitars they had for the same price

I’m amazed that even in the last 20 years how much quality has gone up, even today you can get a much better guitar than mine for 300 dollars

ReverendRevolver and JRtele like this.
  13. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No - 1993 MIK 'Onyx' brand LP Goldtop copy. It was complete rubbish but I played it for a long time. I still have my first 'real' guitar (2002 SG).

14. JRtele

JRtele Tele-Meister

Hah, I’ve debated for years upgrading everything on this except for neck and body with high end parts but I can’t seem to justify it, I feel like it would be a complete waste.
    So it’s a nice memorabilia decoration instead

Fretting out likes this.
  15. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

Yamaha SBG 200. I still have it, but it's in the closet with no pickups.

120007C.jpg

Steve 78, Fretting out and Dismalhead like this.
  16. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

silvertone acoustic, silvertone electric, silvertone amp.. mom and dad had a sears card :)

yeah I had sears pants and tire rubber shoes too

Telecastoff1 and Fretting out like this.
  17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Navarra classical acoustic guitar. I traded it about 30 years ago towards a PA.

18. b2187101

b2187101 Tele-Meister

It actually just dawned on me. I traded a 6 pack of beer for a hollow body something or other guitar with really high action in the barracks while I was in the Army. No amp, no tuner, no cable, no pick! I can't remember what happened to it? Maybe I left it behind? So technically, no, I don't have my first guitar.

Fretting out and JRtele like this.
  19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I had a 72 Tele Custom in Highschool. It was my first good guitar. It got badly damaged on a highschool jazz band trip when a teacher removed it from a van where it was 15 below zero and he ran it into a class room where it was 70 degrees and he flipped the case open. The guitar shattered. The school’s insurance company kept the guitar and bought me a Peavey T60 in a flight case. Being you and stupid I was ok with the deal.

I now own the reissue of the same guitar. This is my childhood; reissued.

[​IMG]

Ed Driscoll, Fretting out and wacolo like this.
  20. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Band 2.jpg
    I wish I still had mine, my avery first guitar was 74 Gibson SG Standard cherry red with a bigsby fitted. It had block inlays tar back pickups and the 70's harmonica bridge.

I bought it on credit in 1977 for $750 AU when I was only 15, my dad had to be the guarantor for the loan, it took three years to pay it off. I must have known that the guitar was going to work out for me long term to commit so much to my first ever guitar when I could barley play a cowboy cord lol. Took me three years to buy an amp, until then i plugged it into my Kriesler 2 in 1 stereo system.

It travelled from Australia to UK and back with me.

To others maybe not so special a guitar, to me it meant the world. I have often looked out for it being advertised but sadly I have never have seen it come up for sale here in Australia.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    Steve 78 and Fretting out like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.