What was your first good acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Cali Dude, Oct 4, 2020.

1. BillyMays

BillyMays TDPRI Member

2020 Breedlove Oregon Concert Tiger's Eye CE

[​IMG][​IMG]

envirodat and Cali Dude like this.
  2. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Do you know that you're making a logical fallacy here with that leading question? :twisted:

The key word here is "good" and that you have to ask about it.

Of course, when I was starting out there was this nylon string beginners guitar.
    Then 10 years later a hand built Yamaha classical for enormous amount of money.
    Then steel strung guitars, high end, from both Martin and Taylor.
    Then, at last, after some 30 years, I thought that a Babicz Identity made me finally satisfied. Sold them all without any regrets whatsoever.

But no good at all any of them, even remotely any good.

The word "good" and acoustic guitar doesn't belong in the same sentence. It dawned on me slowly. It's a catch 22, a paradox, and a logicall fallacy, you're just putting up a leading question just like the ones "have you stopped beating your wife?" or similar. ;)

If you look at your question, it seems that if you have to ask about it, then the majority of them are - by logical deduction - not good at all, and the good ones are far an in between, if ever.

I was even at the "Boutique Guitar Show" a few years back in my hometown, and tried out guitars that was in the 11.000 USD range from Klein/Kaufmann et al. Still have yet to see any GOOD acoustic guitar crossing my bench. Period. They look nice though, but that's about it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1. First, the acoustic guitar designs, as in regular dreadnaught series, are always made to sound the best if they're on the verge of collapsing, and is very delicate, in wood designs, construction and so on. They - all of them - have the inevitable neck reset that needs to be done. Self destroying mechanism, albeit several decades down the road.

2. Since you can't intonate individually every string, they are a compromise intonation wise, and tuning wise and are all more prone to shift in tuning due to environmental changes, inside AC equipped rooms, halls, stages, and outdoors.

3. They produce just loud enough volume for those in the immediate vincinity, i e the player him/herself. They are inherently weak, and faint in volume compared to most other acoustic instruments.

4. Their huge bodies imposes an unergonomical playing position, as well as with classical guitar, you have to have a footstool and croocked spine in order to play it. Beats me, always will. That's why I stopped.

5. There's a reason why acoustic guitar was the first ones to get electrified. They simply didn't hold up.

I can go on and on ad infinitum.

3. cowboy rob61

cowboy rob61 Tele-Meister

I had a Yamaha, bought in 1996, which I've since got rid of.
    Ten years later my Dad bought me a 1995 Guild DV6 which is glorious. It's been my only acoustic since.

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. Seattlesurfer

Seattlesurfer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

7FD7FDE4-5A47-4C54-AD01-EB1CB641F18A.jpeg 7FD7FDE4-5A47-4C54-AD01-EB1CB641F18A.jpeg 2011 Blueridge BR163

envirodat, Cali Dude and tah1962 like this.
  5. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Interesting point of view. It made me laugh . I guess you never will experience a good Acoustic guitar. Despite the flaws, there are thousands of people who do enjoy theirs. Maybe you could try a Tuba. Lol.

6. scraven

scraven TDPRI Member

1970 Gibson Humming Bird which i recently had refurbished by Filppo Morelli
    He did a fantastic job. Guitar plays and sounds better than new.

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

My first decent,but not a super great acoustic was a Takamine Acoustic/electric I used on stage when I was gigging.

It was a passable guitar and served its purpose.

After gigging for 28 years, I finally retired from playing in 2009.

THIS is when I began my obsession with buying guitars.

In my quest for seeking out and buying the best used guitars I could find, I happened upon an amazing acoustic for an even more amazing price.

I found this guitar about 6 years ago in a pawnshop for $270, and it is my very first quality acoustic, and is one of the best acoustics in my collection.

My '03 Taylor Jumbo Custom:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

An Alvarez copy of a J-160E, which I purchased in '75. I have no recollection of it's fate, but I probably sold it because I was a young man making my way in to the world. I was POOR.

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

10. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My first "good" acoustic was and is my avatar, bought from the original owner in 1973, after two solid years of begging, for $425, a princely sum for me back then. Fortunately, I had a banker that had faith in me, and loaned me the purchase price. Never again have I been so religious in repaying a loan! Prior to my old D18, I "got by" with a Yamaha FG230 12 string and a FG180 when the 12 string was stolen. Both were very serviceable, but the Martin is a once-in-a lifetime guitar. My "cheapo" stage acoustic now is a Taylor 816ce that the original dingbat owner "reliced" by putting scratches all over the top. When I found it at my local GC, they had it priced at under $1200, so out came the Mastercard! It's not the Martin, but it is damn good! 20181213_183224.jpg "El Cheapo" _585.JPG "The Old Guy"

11. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Very nice guitars there.

39martind18 likes this.
  12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Yairi DY-70. Still have it. Nice guitar.

Mike SS and Cali Dude like this.
  13. Marblatx

Marblatx Tele-Meister

Early 70s made in Japan Epiphone. Was stolen in 1975.

Cali Dude likes this.
  14. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I've had this no-name Japanese Classical since the mid '60s and the first good steel string I had was an Epiphone FT-150. Also shown my Wife's Sigma & my Seagull Mini-Jumbo.

[​IMG]

15. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

My first good acoustic guitar was a Martin D-28. I LOVED that thing. I called it "The Songwriter" because I was always coming up with new song ideas on it and any idea I came up with on another guitar seemed to like being fleshed out with the D-28. I stayed up late with it many a night in college just taking in the sweet tone and feel (not to mention the smell!).

It was a very sad day when I took it to a repair shop for a setup and they wrecked it. When I got another shop to restore it, it was never the same. Sold it for a song a year later.

Cali Dude likes this.
  16. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My first decent guitar was a late 70's Fender, looks and sounds like a Martin and it is still my "go-to" when at home. I think I own more acoustics than telecasters and all of these great photos has me on the hunt again :cool:
    Love those old Guilds and Hohners

17. Bbjork

Bbjork TDPRI Member

Beautiful sound, my son told me he’d disown me if I sold it.

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

a gift in 1998 or so; 00016T some kind of special edition. Wonderful finger-picking style. I recently gave it to a friend of mine - studio engineer who has donated hundreds of hours of free studio time to me.

Martin SP000-16T v2.jpg

Cali Dude and envirodat like this.
  19. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Harmony Sovereign 1260, got it, used, in the late 60's...not from this guy though.

Oh, it's many decades gone, though I think about getting another one every once in a while.
    Screenshot_20201022-143153~2.png

Cali Dude likes this.
  20. iamnotcody

iamnotcody TDPRI Member

I brought my first guitar 2 years ago and it was an acoustic-electric guitar. It's sound is really amazing. Love to play my guitar.

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.