1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was your first good acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Cali Dude, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

A used Guild D-25 I bought around '71.

Cali Dude likes this.
  2. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    Tear-jerker alert!
    I was about 13-14...my cousin had this beat up old acoustic she acquired from her neighbor/BFF (not called that then, but hey) for $5...
    Her mom (my aunt) found out I was looking for a guitar and convinced her to sell it to me...it had 2 strings, I got new ones and in all paid under $10.
    There was something in how firm and straight the neck was for being such a cruddy looking guitar...it sounded good for the condition.
    This was 1966-7...the Beatles were "it" ,as the whole Invasion...learned to play it with the help of chord books and a couple other cousins help learning chords.
    Stephen Still's 1st LP came out and I noticed my guitar looked amazingly like that one on the cover, right down to the rosettes in the fingerboard and slotted headstock.
    I played it religiously even when I got my first electric (Teisco Del Rey, tulip cutaway solid body).
    In 1969, I had acquired a couple "real" guitars, got into a band.
    During this time, the bridge had lifted, the edge of the bottom had split...I put it aside to "maybe" get it fixed down the road.
    By 1972, I moved out of the family home, leaving my old acoustic behind.
    My folks hung it in the garage at chest level and sometime after that in winter, things being slippery and all my mother missed the brake and schmushed up against the back wall...the guitar in between...it was relinquished to firewood...
    I found out later on when I looked at an old Guitar Player Stephen Still article that it was an old Martin...(anyone know the age and model of that one?) That explained the feel and sound...
    RIP, Sweetie...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Wow, that's a holy grail guitar. Cool move on how you aquired it. Lol. That's funny. Martin sure takes care of their warranty. Great story!

4. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Oh damn! That hurts.

5. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

When I was 46 I finally got an acoustic guitar that cost more than $100. It was a Martin D-1; it's a mahogany guitar they don't make any more. Even though I got a D-28 many years later I still hang onto that D-1 for sentimental reasons. I haul it out every now and then and I use it for a travel guitar.

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

Yeah, tear-jerker all right.

7. Jake Nelson

Jake Nelson Tele-Meister

I got my Eastman E6D 3 years ago. It’s been good to me. Dream of a E20D, or a Santa Cruse Tony Rice.

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

i’ve never really been an “acoustic” guy, but after a stint fairly decent/inexpensive Nash, I went for the motherload. Thought I wanted a Martin HD-28, but my older brother (who IS an acoustic guy) urged me to try an HD-35. Found one at Mandolin Brothers in Staten Island, and fell in love with the strong, punchy bottom sound, the fancy binding, etc. Perhaps, as an “electric” guy, I had been spoiled by the full-range power and preferred this model over the more (to me) thin/mid-range sound of the other Martins. BTW: took it to the Martin factory a couple years later to have them install a Fishman pick-up. Amazingly great!!
    C0B47486-FEFB-42CB-BD3D-5FC835813007.jpeg

Cali Dude likes this.
  9. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

Fender super jumbo. Super boomy and dead sounding.

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Good story!

I have a friend who found a broken-down Martin in an abandoned house. He fixed it up and wrote an article about it for Fretboard Journal.

Cali Dude likes this.
  11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

My second acoustic was an early 90s Ephiphone PR-350 (laminate top). I still have it. It's a crappy guitar, but it's been through hell with me over the last 30 years. I had a slightly better Washburn Rare Wood series with a solid top later on.

But my first really nice acoustic was a 2017 Gibson HP-635W. It was a dreadnought body with a slightly shallower depth. Walnut back and sides, maple neck, richlite board. Had a great midrange tone that was perfect for strumming and finger style alike. The fit and finish was not great. You would feel where the wood was jointed in the 5-piece neck and it was distracting to play. Not sure if it moved after finishing or just wasn't sanded well before. It was my most expensive guitar ever though, and I sold it a few months back to cover shortfalls of my student loans during X-ray school. It was nice, but I wasn't too sad to see it go. Put me off on Gibsons, sadly. They're quality seems to have been an issue in recent years.

I would love to get a Collings OM-1 or OM-2...but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford one.

I'll probably get a Taylor next time. I really like their company. They are always innovating, the source wood responsibly and they have a wide variety of designs. My number one beef with them for many years was their too-skinny shredder necks...but even that seems to have been addressed of late. I played a Grand Pacific in a shop and really liked it. So maybe when I'm out of school, back on a budget and making money I'll treat myself.

Marblatx and Cali Dude like this.
  12. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Mid 70s I bought a Japanese built Fender acoustic which was a sort of D28 copy.
    Fine guitar which I kept until I picked up a Martin a decade back.

Cali Dude likes this.
  13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I had a mid-70's (1974 I think) Gibson SJ Deluxe.

My dad got it for me for Christmas that year, and in 2008 I regrettably sold it--AND the D18 Martin I inherited when he died--in a divorce financial panic.

Much as I loved the Gibson, that Martin was a fantastic guitar and I have kicked myself all these years for letting it get away.

Cali Dude likes this.
  14. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

In 1990 I bought an acoustic of a colleague from my first job for about 4000 BFR, around €100. It was a Terada fw502, a 1970's gibson hummingbird copy. The guy played some local bands and at some point he had scraped the sunburst top to be a natural top. I put on some kind of varnish; parquet vitrifier,so it has been 'ruined'. Or so it should have been. But the neck is nice and it has a low action and actually sounds good. It is the only acoustic I ever bought and I still have it.
    I only play it every once and a while, but a lot of my friends that have much more expensive guitars still like it and some even used it to record stuff with it.

Cali Dude likes this.
  15. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

A8A479C4-06DF-4CFA-8597-EF299FE0BE1B.jpeg EC78F4D6-3FFF-46A6-8253-BE0F94AC6F5E.jpeg C01BDEE8-51A0-4C81-A0BE-AF7FA53180B3.jpeg D5213A54-E360-4171-8960-79A87D0010A1.jpeg E372B687-77CB-4EE6-82CF-F6981AA16B9E.jpeg 1624B234-48E1-42D8-AFF5-163F0014657F.jpeg I am a fan of 70s and 80s Japanese built Hohner guitars.
    The two all solid wood guitars I have are the HG-940 and HG-950. Both have spruce tops, mahogany back and sides on the 940 and rosewood back and sides on the 950. Necks are mahogany with ebony fretboards, bone nut and saddle, maple headstock name inlay, fret markers, binding and bridge inlays.All woods aged for 5 years prior to build.

envirodat and Cali Dude like this.
  16. leftcoastarborist

leftcoastarborist Tele-Meister

Whoops. Those are both 950 guitars. Will try for pics of the 940. 4D244514-ADED-475D-9292-FFB2EE6C35B3.jpeg CFAF41E7-FC07-4EB6-86C9-076470FAFD87.jpeg 5DB5A9DC-E370-41B4-AC81-5A310EF25653.jpeg 7700088C-12D0-48D0-A199-1B259E0E958D.jpeg

envirodat likes this.
  17. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

18. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

My Taylor 224ce-K DLX I bought brand new in December last year.

IMG_20200819_212812.jpg

Deathray, Cali Dude and envirodat like this.
  19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Martin D15.....I’ve had it for 25 years.

Cali Dude likes this.
  20. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

My first good acoustic wasn't really mine. I bought it for my girlfriend who kept it and played it, literally, for the rest of her life. It was a second hand Conrad classical in a cardboard case that I bought for $25. I never found another one that played and sounded as good as that one.

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.