1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was your first good acoustic guitar?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Cali Dude, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

had been thru lots of junk but got a brand new martin d16m in 1989.. its still in the family

Cali Dude likes this.
  2. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I went to Denmark Street in London in 2010 with a £1000 budget to find an acoustic guitar as I didn't have one. I probably tried about 8 guitars but nothing really blew me away, so I went home empty handed. I didn't really know what I wanted.

I visited a local guitar shop the next day and they had just had a new Martin D28 in and said I should try it. At £1769, it was well outside my budget but I tried it anyway. Well after strumming a couple of chords, I was blown away. The tone and the projection was astounding. I knew this was the guitar I'd been looking for, so out came the credit card!

Screenshot_20201005_101756.jpg

envirodat, jayyj and Cali Dude like this.
  3. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

Lorenzo L449. It cost £120 and has no right sounding anywhere near as good as it does.

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. Teleskopic

Teleskopic TDPRI Member

I settled on a French Lâg 400 "Winter" (from their four seasons range about 15 years ago). It was about £400 back then but to my (cloth) ears sounds way more expensive and it's still a joy to play. Don't see me ever parting with it.

Cali Dude likes this.
  5. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

A Harmony Sovereign. Yeah, I know. But I got it around 1968 and loved that guitar. I had it for two years and let a gf talk me out of it. She still has the guitar. I offered to buy it from her a couple of years ago when I ran into her, but she won't sell it.

4 Cat Slim and Cali Dude like this.
  6. ButterScotchPH

ButterScotchPH Tele-Meister

Eastman AC 320 since 10 years, amazing guitar!

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Had a Laramie plywood thing bought mail order, the neck developed a massive hump where it joined the body. Eventually become totally rather than almost unplayable. Sawed it up and put the neck onto a body made of 2x2 and plywood. My Lester Log! Late 70s bought a Yamaha FG340, which I still have. The old girls been with me through thick and thin. Fitted a piezo pick up and then later a Fishman set up, which is still in her. Lovely mellow tone and honest battle scars from years of use, not abuse. Definitely an heirloom. 5935AB07-908B-4D8C-B9C7-C56370DB8EE4.jpeg

8. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

A Tacoma single cutaway acoustic/electric. It was my Son's that took it on a mission trip. The intense heat caused the bridge to pull out of the body.
    My Son gave it to me and said if I could fix it, that it was a good guitar. I took it to a shop and got it repaired for under $100. I used it for several years until I got a nice Takamine

Kevin Wolfe and Cali Dude like this.
  9. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Martin D1-R (1997)

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Not sure I have a truly great one yet. We have a $100 classical, a Breedlove CE Mahogany, and the wife's Taylor GS Mini. That last one is the priciest guitar in the house if you don't count mods on my Tele.

Cali Dude likes this.
  11. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

1977 HD-28 - around 1983. $600 used. I only kept it a few years. I was disappointed by the 70's era quality and its lack of soul. Sold it a few years later for $1700 at Gruhn's. Bought a 1954 000-18. MUCH better...

Kevin Wolfe, Cali Dude and Paulie13 like this.
  12. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

This Taylor 410

IMG_1268.jpeg

Fiesta Red and Cali Dude like this.
  13. Paulie13

Paulie13 Tele-Holic

I bought my first nice acoustic back in 2010. I wasn't planning on buying anything at the time, but my buddy was driving hours away to buy a Gretsch so my girlfriend (now wife) tagged along. Ahh to be young with no responsibilities to be able to take road trips at the drop of a hat. Anyway, I have always dreamed about Gibson J-45s since I was young. I would take my Musicians Friend catalog to school, hide it in the book we were reading, and circle guitars. Always a J45, even though I had never played one or even been in the same room as one.

So while he is trying out a Gretsch we are wandering around the store. I took a J45 standard off the wall and strummed a simple E chord and was blown away. Just floored. I look at her and she says "Buy it." This was a LOT of money for us at the time, but not to mention I was supposed to be using that money for an engagement ring/wedding, but she really wanted me to have that guitar. I played a few other high end acoustics in the room for reference, but none compared so we left with it. To this day it is still her favorite of any guitar I own. I have been able to play a lot of J45s since then, and while they are all usually good, there seems to be something special about this one...

744522643_ScreenShot2020-05-22at8_49_57AM.png.0b385a1c288aff524090c93a8c3dd614.png

14. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

000-28L Martin . I no longer have her . Going forward , I seriously doubt that I will ever buy a guitar again since I can build it .

Kevin Wolfe and Cali Dude like this.
  15. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Martin D35. Wish I still had it. Current favourite is a Levinson.

20190820_100604.jpg

Cali Dude likes this.
  16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

This, a 70's Yamaha FG 75. This is not teh exact one I had, but was lucky to run into this at a thrift store a few years ago.

Attached Files:

Cali Dude likes this.
  17. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

My second guitar, in high school, was a lower-cost but really pretty decent Aria, made in Japan I'd guess. Had a lot of good times and learning with that one. The first very good one is this D-16GT that I've had for +/- 15 years, beautiful full sound and I love the neck. Had an LR Baggs I-Beam installed upon purchase.

IMG_2044.JPG

Cali Dude likes this.
  18. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Have yet to own a quality acoustic guitar.

That's a 2021 goal of mine.

Cali Dude likes this.
  19. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

How are we defining good? (hehe) I mean -- the first EXPENSIVE acoustic guitar I bought was a Gibson J 160E reissue in 1991. I was 21 years old at the time. It was pretty great -- I played that sucker for a few years before selling it. A rich girlfriend bought me a Collings (although I eventually paid for it, dearly) and later I eventually "cross-graded" to a rosewood J45 and never looked back. But my VERY first Acoustic remains, in many ways, my best -- back in 1988 I bought a Fender Catalina acoustic. Black, strat style headstock, plastic neck, made in Korea. Got it for $150 NEW and it's still with me...it's dinged up and scratched, and it lives under the coffee table out of the case ready to play at a moment's notice. I don't care if the kids knock into it, which is a big deal. It sounds like ku-RAPP, but I've written my best tunes on it. If they work on that axe, they'll work anywhere!

Cali Dude likes this.
  20. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My first acoustic was a Sigma dreadnought. After that I got a Yamaha with (I think) maple back and sides. My friend called it "Blondie". It had a high action and was a bit tough to play, and I was so stupid I didn't think there was anything that you could do about it so I sold that also. I actually think that was my first good one.

Then I got my Guild D66-NT (co designed by George Gruhn) in about 1984. My GF at the time worked at Frets magazine and it had been sent in as a review unit. List was $1200 and Guild said "send us $600 and you can keep it". I guess everyone at the magazine already had all the guitars they needed, my GF already had her Martin, so I got it on the "friend of a friend" plan. Still have it, still love it!

Cali Dude likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.