1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Was Your 1st "Guitar" Before Your 1st Guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Randypttt, Feb 25, 2021.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Beany-and-Cecil-caster

beany_and_cecil_guitar.jpg

2. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm talking about a "guitar" that wasn't really a guitar. Like my paddle. But anything and everything works.

I think I had one of those Mickey guitars too. Thanks for that memory Dan. I'd forgotten about that one.

3. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

a broken down old 30's archtop by Silvertone or some such animal that my parents had as decor in the living room. Arch was totally collapsed and cracked to heck, but strings sat high enough that I could run a butter knife across the strings and play a 5 year old's version of slide guitar :D

Randypttt and Dereksys38 like this.
  4. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

If we're talking "guitars"
    Before I got a real guitar, when I was around 10 or 11, I drew pictures of fictional bands while I'd listen to music in my room. I'd give the members names, backstories, etc...
    I don't think I have any of the drawings anymore. If I find any hiding in the closet I will post them. From what I recall, they were terrible.

5. Dereksys38

Dereksys38 Tele-Meister

My first was one I got for free from my brother who got it for free from a friend. A cheap little First Act Adam Levine model with a single humbucker, didn't sound too bad, but I got creative and took it all apart to make a cigar box guitar. I still have the bodies, but the neck was sold in a partscaster. I hope to buy a proper real guitar soon in the future, building them is not my specialty:oops:.

6. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

I "started" with this:
    Davy Crockett guitar.jpg
    Not really a guitar... but I wasn't a guitar player either...

bgmacaw, Randypttt and Esquire Jones like this.
  7. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Mine was an Eddie Van Halen guitar I made out of cardboard and brought to school on the school bus. It was taken away from me by my science teacher immediately upon entering the school and I never saw it again.

Esquire Jones likes this.
  8. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Wilson Stan Smith tennis racket. Countless hours of Kiss and BTO jamming.

Randypttt likes this.
  9. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

It was a recorder in the 3rd grade.... by the 6th grade.. I had figured out that a Yamaha recorder, was not going to garner the female attention I was hoping for.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Violin for more years than I care to admit.

11. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The Beatles arrived; that summer we were in our friends' camp basement on a lake (when according to the parents we were supposed to be out swimming) playing Beatles records and using badminton rackets and metal 45 rpm record racks as guitars and drums to mimic the band. Good times! From the racket I graduated to a very cheap Kay acoustic and broke the bridge pretty soon after, from tuning up too high.

12. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yeah, definitely from my very confused 10 year old mind. One band based on Nirvana, and solo bands for Richie Sambora and Billy Corgan. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Randypttt likes this.
  13. Mark617

Mark617 Tele-Meister

My 1st was an 83’ Hondo I bought at Mr. Music in Allston. The guy Steve who sold it to me still works there.

14. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I started on my father’s Sears/Silvertone acoustic. The bridge wasn’t attached, so could slide around. Big fat neck, mile high action. A drummer I used to be friends with absconded with it. It wasn’t worth anything much...

15. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I had a couple of plastic guitars including this one that was as close as I ever ended up to getting a "mouse ear" 335:
    mickeymouseguitar.jpg

When I finally got to 13 or 14, I'd saved up enough from odd jobs for a used one of these. A friend's mom from up the street had it and sold it to me for $50. I wanted an electric but, looking back on it, pretty darn nice for a first real guitar:
    gibson-l48-archtop-sb-1952-ss-full-front.jpg

bgmacaw and Electric Warrior like this.
  16. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

My first first was air guitar.

My first guitar before my first guitar was a forgettable knock-off acoustic guitar that looked like a standard Martin, but the headstock said "Fanning" in Fender spaghetti script. I was probably 20 or 21 and was working at a factory and thinking that since I was earning a paycheck I should finally learn to play a guitar like I always wanted. I took my paycheck to Sordyl's House of Music in my hometown, Springfield, Ill., and told the hair metal clerk my story. He took my in the back where they had a rack of guitar cases and pulled this one out. "This is probably the best deal I can see for you in the store right now," I think he said.

I later came to realize that it played great, it sounded great and when I played correctly it made me sound great. It kept calling me back. I would crave hearing chords come out of it, even at times when I didn't really feel like playing.

I've since played music for the rest of my life and bought a mountain of musical gear, including mandolins, banjoes, bass guitars, amps, etc. I wonder if I would have stuck with the guitar had that guy decided to unload their trash on this unsuspecting rube.

My first real guitar was a telecaster.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    aging_rocker likes this.
  17. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

Tennis rackets were great to pretend to be Marty Mcfly shredding chuck berry lines.
    First bass was a beat up Washburn Lyon that was my combined Christmas and birthday present at age 13.

Chicago Matt and McGlamRock like this.
  18. Randypttt

Now we're talkin!

fjblair likes this.
  19. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

60s mustang and it wasn't great traded for 80s mij 3/4 size strat that I wish I still had

20. Randypttt

Hey those are pretty good for a 10 yr old. I was drawing from about the same time (well, 1960. Superheroes) and I wasn't half that good.

McGlamRock likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.