1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was wrong with Punk?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm talking about an extreme, punk developed into artistic landscape, rather than someone just screaming hatred into a mic. As for bands like Exploited, Cockney Rejects and the like they attracted the worst kind of crowds, the football hooligans and racist skinhead tribes. Others you mention though like Chaos UK etc, were good, but some never developed, and therefore split up in time as musical styles moved on. I'm not actually bringing politics into this by the way, I'm talking about musical development in the UK in the 70s, not the hardcore punk scene which never moved on, and then disappeared underground and from view.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  2. drew1d

drew1d Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm probably more confused now then I was before. Perhaps it's like, Smurf. It's a term that can mean a lot of things. Like a style, energy, feeling. And when applied to something as subjective as music, you get debate threads.

Punk is smurfy.

Fendereedo likes this.
  3. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

Sometimes I watch the musicians. Sometimes I dance. If you really want to miss out on a gig (or a sunset, or your child playing sport), hold up your mobile phone and record everything instead of witnessing something special.

Fendereedo likes this.
  4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I've always been partial to Smurf rock :D

drew1d likes this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Nothing to people who like it. Everything to people who don’t. It was a very polarizing genre.

Fendereedo and offsideref like this.
  6. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

the sex pistols were punk, it's where it began and ended as far as I'm concerned. what's wrong with punk? the attitude and the violence from the idiot people that liked it, the British in the 70's anyway. sid vicious although I once though was cool I know think he was an idiot and so did the band queen. great things come from punk like one of my old favorite band nirvana and such like, but the clash? god know they were fake punk. i don't know much about u.s punk but we wont go into who started the whole genre! I think British punk was a completely different thing compared to u.s punk.

offsideref likes this.
  7. Texicaster

Texicaster Friend of Leo's

8. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Good point.

I would comment that those guys, and the early Blues artists were not exactly commercially successful in a mainstream sense like the Jamaican and Punk artists were in their respective cultures and times. I might also suggest that because of this they were not threatening the social and economic order in quite the same way - this is to say that they did not exactly impact and influence culture and fashion significantly, and perhaps as importantly, globally. If Blues has, well then it was arguably posthumous, and largely whitewashed.

Did those Folk artists mentioned describe the frustrations and systemic issues that their fans were experiencing? Or were they protesting injustices done to others in a more socially conscious and educational sense? Were they knowingly incorporating political and social ideology into their work? The system that the activist Folk artists were also resisting was constructed so that truly poor and struggling people could not afford to be well versed in ideological and social consciousness, and that is a significant element of Marxist thought - so who was that music for, exactly? Was it supposed to help achieve class consciousness, and/or relate to and educate the oppressed classes directly? Or promote awareness to an audience who were not subject to oppression?

The Blues artists arguably made music that was directly about what their audience was experiencing, and that music was arguably also often the result of the systemic injustices they experienced. Was that music designed for social change and awareness, or was it more a part of their existing culture, and created specifically for the culture that produced it?

Punk was inclusive and diverse from the beginning because it was made by common people from many cultural and racial backgrounds who felt they had no voice, and/or valid culture or politics/government to relate to. It was a rejection of existing social and musical norms, a reclaiming of a kind of realism that had meaning. I'm not 100% sure Folk and Blues share these distinctions.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

tl;dr

It morphed into hardcore, and remained in that toilet for decades.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

What's with the past tense?

backporchmusic likes this.
  11. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

It became what it was against.

Greggorios, rdjones and offsideref like this.
  12. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I loved it, what a revelation. But the scene was limiting because of the constant "what is punk (cool to like) and what is not (cool to like)" regimentation. Looking back, having fallen prey to that mindset, kept me from actually listening to things that -surprise, surprise- I may have liked.

A lot of it I can't listen to anymore, and it's mostly the stuff I thought was really "cool" at the time (I won't name names, but it was the mid to late 90s so you can imagine).

Rush snapped me out of it, btw.

offsideref likes this.
  13. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you drink too many Mai Tai's, you throw up, and you puke, and you barf some more. When you awaken the next day, hungover as hell, you reassess your situation and you try fewer and less sweet drinks. You've got the Mai Tais violently out of your system, but you're not ready to quit the sauce altogether.
    Punk was the barfing.

14. Lunch meat

Lunch meat TDPRI Member

What was wrong? The anti disco backlash was partly directed against people who were different. The scene had a lot of hard drugs. The music was fun but much was worthy of as many listens as a comedy record.
    I enjoyed the music and much of what it stood for, but it was not without problems.

15. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

How could you hate the heroin? I'm starting to think you hate fun.

And premature death. Do you really want to be the kind of person who hates premature death?

Lunch meat and Oxidao like this.
  16. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Punk was great. Sorry if you didn't get it. That said, it was a moment that wasn't meant to last forever.

The best bands grew out of it, other bands came along to ape the OG stuff ad infinitum. But even now, I still come across old videos and docs, and with a quick 1-2-3-4! I'm right back there.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

from old people.

18. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

:rolleyes: maybe... But now that I come to think about it, any time I start a thread with “Punk” in it, what I’m really thinking about is ‘Why isn’t it still 1979, I was really having fun back then!’

Manual Slim, Fearnot and loopfinding like this.
  19. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

There was rhythmic jumping up and down, but it wasn’t reeely dancing.

20. RichterScale

RichterScale TDPRI Member

What's wrong with "punk".....and really any music......is peoples' need to fit everything into a category, subcategory, sub-subcategory.....
    Good grief.
    I don't think I've ever heard a song that I liked and asked someone, "hey, what category is that in?" Or, "what 'kind' of music is that? "
    If I like a song or piece of music, I've never felt the need to know what genre it fit into, according to whoever decides that.. most of the time, I don't even really care when it was written, by who, country of origin, pretty much anything. Unless I want to look it up and hear it again or buy the album and then I just need to know the song/band name. I couldn't possibly care any less about what section someone thinks it belongs in on a shelf somewhere.
    Everything from ohio players to SRV to S. Wonder, to DMB, to Rush, Yes, to kansas to Slayer to Tool to whoever....it's all just music.
    And I also don't care what "type" of music it is or what band if I don't like the song.
    I'm sure I seem like the odd duck in most situations. Actually, I know I'm the odd duck in almost all social situations. But from my perspective, people have some really odd ways of looking at music.

getbent, Manual Slim and trev333 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.