1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was wrong with Punk?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Apr 7, 2021.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Punk was absolutely alive in England in the 80s.

What about Conflict, Discharge, Amebix, Disorder, Chaos UK, Extreme Noise Terror, Crass, Zounds, The Exploited, GBH, Blitz, Doom, Deviated Instinct, or any of the other bands I could keep rattling off for quite some time?

The eighties was when punk politicized to take on Thatcher. You had punks involved in antifascist organizing, Poll Tax rioting, hunt sabotaging, and the Miner’s Strike. If anything punk was a bigger cultural force in England in the eighties than the seventies.

2. cyclopean

Seriously? Nothing “memorable, melodic, or life affirming”?

wag69, Tommy Biggs and Fendereedo like this.
  3. cyclopean

4. cyclopean

There are many, many, many punk styles that sound very little like each other.

Pop punk doesn’t sound like power violence. Folk punk doesn’t sound like death rock. Crust doesn’t sound like Youth Crew. Riot Grrl doesn’t sound like grindcore.

Fake “I can’t play” is more of a no wave thing.

You get drugs in just about any subculture that isn’t the straightedge subculture.

drlucky and BorderRadio like this.
  5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

You know more about it than me, for sure, but I always liked Can, Einsturzende Neubaten (both West German) and Rammstein could carry a tune, too.

Fendereedo, cyclopean and Hari Seldon like this.
  6. cyclopean

One of my last big nights out before the world closed down was going to a punk show that I booked. It is very much not over.

Norris Vulcan and Telecaster88 like this.
  7. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

I didn’t much care for the Eagles back in the 70s/80s but I kind of like some of their stuff now. I think Hotel California is their Freebird, and the pinnacle of their songwriting was Take It Easy.

This whole comment is just by the by, I might as well have said I used to not like tea and now I drink it all the time o_O

northernguitar likes this.
  8. cyclopean

A band that doesn’t practice is never going to sound like this.

9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

There are many styles/substyles, but very few that originated after the 80s, early 90s at most.

10. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Sheeeeeit. I’m sniffing fifty and I’m more pissed off than I’ve ever been. My guitar is starting to hate me too.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  11. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

I think they were booted out of A+M for being (deliberately) provocative. They might have been in and out of EMI in similarly quick time, I can’t remember. I do recall people who were lucky and bought the records on the original labels, some of them quickly sold them on for large sums of money: not a very punk thing to do!

northernguitar likes this.
  12. cyclopean

Midwest emo, folk punk, and stadium crust are all newer than that, just off the top of my head.

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

A few of these is how King Buzzo and the Melvins paid for gas to get to the next show in 1986. Cobain was a Melvins hanger-outer but not on the first tour east. I wonder if that's someone's old home address? DIY!

For me the "look" wasn't part of it. If you set aside a few actors (Pistols, Exploited...) most people I grew up with were just middle class kids and they looked the part. Maybe messy hair but I can count on 1 hand the number of mohawks I ever saw on a stage. It was just the fabric of my youth for music, culture, politics. Only time we ever had trouble at a show was when outsiders came to stir it up. Punk (or whatever) was just "our people".

I still dig boots and cool jackets but now I just look like a dork. My very straight-laced daughter loved wearing my old T shirts. She even got sent home for wearing the Black Flag "Slip It In" shirt.

upload_2021-4-7_14-36-11.png

14. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I wrote a long post explaining my thoughts, then broke it down to bullet points:
    1. If the Sex Pistols had never existed, the Ramones would have been bigger than the Beatles.
    2 .If you think "punk" is just "loud three-chord sweary music" you need to expand your listening horizons. Start with Television's "Marquee Moon."
    3. Johnny Cash, Little Richard, Joni Mitchell, and Tom Waits are all "punk" in their own way. And the only way to be "punk" is your own way.
    4. Blondie's "Heart of Glass" and "Rapture" - despite their commercial success and popularity - are as "punk" as it gets. Blondie was so "punk" that they even rebelled against the other "punks" - creating the "double punk paradox" that still confounds scientists today. P.S.Debbie Harry is a goddess.

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That's a nice Jackson Browne tune, I agree

Fiesta Red and northernguitar like this.
  16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Whaddya mean "would have been"? o_O

17. cyclopean

I’ll give you 1, 2, and 3. I’m dubious about 4. I really like Blondie, but Rapture sounds better with KRS-One rapping over it.

regularslinky likes this.
  18. rdjones

rdjones TDPRI Member

Punk was a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    Its self-destructive nature was its own undoing.

Even the kings of the early "punk" scene ( The Who ) had to grow up eventually or they would have faded away.
    The band of the My Generation era would never have been taken seriously doing a rock opera. ;)

Fendereedo likes this.
  19. cyclopean

Their demo is a rager.

Killing Floor likes this.
  20. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

At last, someone posts SLF. This song has been on my mind all through this thread :D Nice work @cyclopean

(And just FYI) Anti-N**i League and anti National Front (fascist party) demonstrations were in the late 70's. Definitely a catalyst for social comment lyrics, and Don Letts DJing reggae and dub at punk gigs.
    Poll Tax 1990.

wag69, Fendereedo, cyclopean and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.