1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was the name of your first band?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Aug 4, 2020.

1. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

My first band’s name, “Myth”. A hard word to say, but still kind of a cool name, and our logo was great (white flames from a hand). Our first gig was at a Pizza Shop where we played for pizza and beer.

Me standing on top of a PA speaker in my parents house, with my Les Paul Custom, and our logo that a friend made.

6BEDEE08-1E11-4450-ACE9-4B4DEF98263E.jpeg

John Nicholas, DonM, Matthias and 3 others like this.
  2. Little Red Tele

Little Red Tele Tele-Meister

Dick Stiffy and the Erections. No joke.

High school talent show, singer stands up and blurts out our name through the mic to a packed house of moms, dads, teachers and kids. We had some other name right up until that moment but I forget it now. If I recall correctly the power was cut and we had to explain ourselves to the principal. Our other guitarist was a pastor's son. Good times.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Stain, zippofan, DonM and 3 others like this.
  3. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

Toad and the Four Warts. The only problem is that no one would own up to being the toad, or one of the four warts, for that matter.

DonM and offsideref like this.
  4. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I’m pretty sure that was the same case with hootie and the blowfish.

bromdenlong and offsideref like this.
  5. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

The Bear Essentials. Our drummers' nickname was "Bear". For some reason we couldn't register the name so we changed it to Under Surveillance.

This is from our second ever gig. I'm playing bass. The guy on guitar next to me is the one who named me Hoodie McFoodie.

Under Surveillance.JPG

DonM, Mbechmann and offsideref like this.
  6. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The name of my first band was "Dick's Hat". (I have never been in a band)

offsideref and HoodieMcFoodie like this.
  7. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Telefied Ad Free Member

Aaw man you don't know what you're missing. The drama, the conflict & in-fighting, the (dare I say it) politics. :lol::lol::lol::(:(:(o_Oo_Oo_O

offsideref and Torren61 like this.
  8. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've contributed to an online "band". I played bass. Not the fish...

offsideref likes this.
  9. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Legacy

Wishful thinking for a bunch of 15 and 16 year-olds.

Second band was: BF Egypt, which is about as far as we got...

DonM, bromdenlong and offsideref like this.
  10. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

“Jack and little Stevie“. It materialize from a surf song me and my best friend who was a drummer in high school wrote. Just me and him. We had rotating bass players. Played get togethers and parties and a few block parties on the beach down in Pensacola FL in the mid 70’s. Mainly southern rock and top 40 stuff. This thread brought back lots of memories. Thanks

11. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

Teddy and the Bears.
    That’s as far as we got.
    10 years old with big ideas.
    No instruments, no nothing, just ideas.

bromdenlong and offsideref like this.
  12. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

Crawfish Rush -1974

We were discussing band names in the back of the high school library and I was reading a Sports Illustrated magazine. I turned a page and saw Crawfish Rush as the title to a story (I think it was about a linebacker from Louisiana or something). Anyway, I blurted out the title and everyone thought it was perfect for the band. We were about 17 at the time.

13. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The End.

We played in the high school talent show.

We had a friend come out and say “Ladies and gentlemen, this is The End.”

14. RifleSlinger

RifleSlinger Tele-Meister

It was an acronym that stood for

Music
    Unfit
    For
    Fogies

15. Esquire Bob

Esquire Bob TDPRI Member

The all-night blues band. 14year olds in 1974.

16. Bonneville Bruce

Bonneville Bruce Tele-Holic

The Gents, 1964, Salt Lake City

17. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Anaconda; 1968. Here is a pic of me & my Fender Mustang, and a full band pic. I am 3rd from left, with the Beatle Haircut. Dick '68.jpg Dave, Sandy,Rich.jpg

Lockback, DonM, Mbechmann and 2 others like this.
  18. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

What a great thread. Fantastic to read through all the funky names people came up with. So here’s my story.

I was a bit of a late bloomer in the whole “band” thing, so didn’t play in any groups through my formative high school and post school years. I couldn’t come to grips with playing guitar, so went for the “easier” route of bass playing - or so I thought. :D

My earliest fascinations of bass was seeing Phil Lynott in Thin Lizzy, and then Ironmaiden came along! Obviously the music astounded me, but I was very intrigued that the bass player (Steve Harris) wrote most of the songs. That did it for me, as I was very much into song writing, but couldn’t put anything down musically. But Steve and the IM sound changed all that.

From the age of about 18 I started jamming with loads of people, but you know the story - clashing styles and what not.

To cut a long story short it took me 2 years to put together a group of like minded people to finally get underway. But I didn’t wanna be some pub cover band - I wanted to ROCK the stage, and with the heavy IM influence, this had to include a show!

Our “real” debut featured pyrotechnics, tons of smoke, dry ice, the best lighting rig we could afford, a 7 foot tall Grim Reaper (whom we hanged at the end), and all the OTT bombast you could imagine! And my determination to be something real showed in our musical offerings of about 60-70% originals. And the slight musical difference to that of the IM/TL attack was that we only had one guitarist.

We had a heavy, sometimes galloping attack that I enjoyed, but obviously couldn’t go the twin guitars route, which sorta created our own sound.

Anyways, my concept for the name and theme of the band came to me quite early, and it was called...........

0BB344D9-AB40-4C80-BA73-0B5398BAC4AF.jpeg

If you can’t make it out from that light shining down on the first letter, it’s.....

DESPISER.

Named after the main protagonist Lord Foul The Despiser from Stephen Donaldsons excellent fantasy novels - The Chronicles Of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever. I was a BIG fan!

The group lasted several years, and we played a couple of monster gigs on the biggest local stage here, but mostly pubs and clubs. Got to tour around a bit of the country which was fun, but ultimately musical differences broke up the band. :D

This is me - yes, I wore spandex, but in a “cool” way like Ironmaiden did. :rolleyes: Oh, and my earlier bass in the group was a blue sparkle Jazz Precision like Steve played, but I had to get all Heavy Metal and cool, and traded it in for a pointy BC Rich Ironbird. :D

70ACEC69-C43F-41EA-9E32-32643A2FF9DE.jpeg

FF83C260-CF14-4239-AF9E-10591507D580.jpeg

19. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Not my first band by any means, but the first band I started/organized was called the Crabs. We did early '60s style instrumental music, mostly surf rock. We all met in the high school music program (band, jazz band, etc.). I was the only one into that type of music. I just recruited the others because I needed them to do the group.

We ended up winning battle of the bands (playing one set during each lunch period). Because of that, we were recruited to play the next year's morning assembly celebrating the centennial of the high school, to a crowd of over 1,500 people, including press, administration, parents, alumni, etc. Pretty cool for a band that only existed for those two gigs. We did "Misirlou" (complete with horn solo) and "Wipeout" at the assembly. During "Wipeout" our friend Luis skateboarded back and forth across the stage, crashing dramatically with each pass. We were all in our marching band uniforms, because the marching band was set to do a few numbers about 10 minutes after the Crabs finished. No time to clear our gear and change clothes before marching in.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  20. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

The bass player's brother had a draem about opening a can and a kitten came out. Band name was Katz'n'Kans.

offsideref likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.