1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was the name of your first band?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Aug 4, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I can't remember the name of my early bands, but my most recent one, which broke up in 2002, was called Ziplock. It was the singer's wife's idea, and she didn't even smoke weed, lol.
    I have no doubts that if we became popular, we would have been forced to quit using it by SC Johnson. After some research on Wikipedia, I see that Ziplock bags were originally developed by Dow, but they sold the rights to SC Johnson in 1997.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    offsideref likes this.
  2. TheGreenHornet

TheGreenHornet TDPRI Member

Sunshine After Tears

offsideref likes this.
  3. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

I never really played in a band except for some High school things. But I was mostly the designated roadie for my Brothers bands and there where a few nice ones: Adrian (Named after both Adrian Borland and a Eurythmics song) The singer was a Annie Lennox fan. That morphed in Wabelilli, No on knowns what that stood for but it came from a stupid joke.
    The we both played in a cover / pub band that was called Wött, Which is a local dialect word for something that stains bed sheets ;-).
    After that it was The Famous Marble Bazaar. The singer had operated before under the Marble Sounds moniker and still does, and he had seen a restaurant London called the famous curry bazaar. Heart of Darkness, at some point they found it too metal and changed it to Tim's Favourite. After a picture of the singers 3 year old nephew, Tim, listening to the band on headphones. 20 years later that 3 year old is now the 2nd guitarist in the band bearing part of his name.

offsideref likes this.
  4. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Im sure there are dozens of bands named that. It wasn’t a very creative idea on our part.

5. djhblues

djhblues TDPRI Member

King Rat (1972) - at the time we thought it was cool; played nothing but covers-Savoy Brown off the Lookin In album; Jeff Beck Orange album; practiced for hours, played two gigs and that was it. But it was a blast for sure.

OlRedNeckHippy, DougM and offsideref like this.
  6. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Actually, they hold the trademark to the name "Ziploc" because "Ziplock" is too close to something that would be common, or something. That's why you see so many brand names using "E-Z" instead of "Easy" or "Han-D" instead of "Handy" or some other mis-spelling like "Kleenex" instead of "Cleanex".

BTW, I am not a lawyer, so I could be dead wrong...

DougM likes this.
  7. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

My first band's name was "Bent Member". Our logo was a four-figure paper-doll chain with the last one bent 45° at the waist.

offsideref likes this.
  8. koula

koula TDPRI Member

Afterbirth

Attached Files:

richey88, offsideref and FrankJames like this.
  9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

If you're gonna play covers, I couldn't fault your choices, two of my favorite albums of all time

10. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

A bunch of old farts playing more blues....

'The Hip Replacements'.

11. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Night Watch

Here in Houston 1989.

offsideref likes this.
  12. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Still have the front bass drum head from our first band, 1978, "Rising Sun". We pretty much played whatever we wanted and called it original lol. I think we played two, maybe three gigs before breaking up. The next one made good money through high school though, "Equinox", and yes Styx was big and we played a bunch as we had a keyboard player with a synth and a Hammond with two Leslies. We used to haul that around to high school dances, church picnics and block parties. No wonder my back is bad!

offsideref likes this.
  13. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

One Fan Band 1.JPG

TJStone and offsideref like this.
  14. 3-Saddle Bridge

3-Saddle Bridge Tele-Meister

"Backstreet" 1977

offsideref likes this.
  15. thinling

thinling Tele-Meister

"Vermin", 1975 _ punk before punk, had to dodge the flying beer cans.

offsideref likes this.
  16. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The first band I was in when I first got my guitar was just a group of friends trying to learn songs and figure out how to be a band . Never came up with a name , even though we did a few "performances " . I got recruited into another band that was forming , our name was " Southbound " , this was 3 years before the Allman Bros. had a song of that name , so I don't know where the name come from , but we all agreed on it , I even still have a few band cards somewhere . We did learn the song , but then we broke up ... looking back , it wasn't a bad name ...

offsideref likes this.
  17. Direwolf

Direwolf Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Steve and the Dores, a reference to one of the guys dad who was a stevedore. We were very young. Around 12 or 13. Nobody in the band was named Steve. First gigging band was Sorcerer.

offsideref likes this.
  18. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

Torquemada. Named after a character from the 2000ad comic. We had one riff, which we played badly.

offsideref likes this.
  19. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

NYX (say "nicks") the Greek Goddess OF THE NIGHT! We were intense. Sabbath, Zep, and our own originals too. I was 14 cuz I had to catch a ride with the drummer. Practiced all the time, played 1 show. Then it was Rough Mix (from the Pete Townsend / Ronnie Lane album). In NYX I had this old Gibson, said "Les Paul" on the truss rod cover. '61, traded it for a kewpie of herb. Dumb *ss kid!
    P n G.JPG

offsideref and Mbechmann like this.
  20. Ronhar

Ronhar TDPRI Member

First band was Lost Kause made up of parts of The Swinging Society and the Sensations. We were THE band in our area switching members as needed. 13 piece with complete horn section. We did mostly top 40 covers,Eagles,Chicago, most anything requested. As bass/vocals my gig lasted 10 years then work and family came first. The Lost Kause moniker came from my first bandmates practicing in a garage. Our drummer committed suicide so I wasn’t keen on reusing that name. After another member shift we became Midnite Madness. Not much money with that many players but we could play a huge variety and always had fun. I still see our trombone player and guitar player as well as the drummer. The sax player is my mechanic. One of the original guitar players stays in touch on facebook. Seems a good band is hard to kill. We’re most retired now.... who knows! .

offsideref and twangdude like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.