1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was the name of your first band?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by offsideref, Aug 4, 2020.

1. tm1303

tm1303 Tele-Meister

We were Running Numbers, common enough expression in certain circles but I lifted it from a DBT song Putting People on The Moon...

So I started running numbers for this man I used to know, I'd sell a few narc***tics and I'd sell a little bl*w...

People here in UK really struggled with it for some reason (we appeared on posters as The Running Numbers or Running the Numbers more often than not) , so when we changed line up we became Lynchburg because that's where the whiskey comes from (JD) in retrospect I fear that name may have fallen afoul of the current round of band-name soul searching.

offsideref likes this.
  2. Bearston

Bearston TDPRI Member

The Midnight Shift

Helped pay my way through first year university, my first gigging band. My friend's band was later named
    "Life After 5". Seems to be a theme going on here...

Here we are, just be careful of the throngs rushing the stage! Midnight-Shift.jpg

offsideref and brookdalebill like this.
  3. tm1303

tm1303 Tele-Meister

Great minds think alike (see above) :lol:

We styled our website after the bottle label and got a letter from JD lawyers explaining that if we didn't change our website and band name they would sue us and ruin our lives :/

OlRedNeckHippy and offsideref like this.
  4. JD1952

JD1952 TDPRI Member

Manchester,U.K. 1969. First Band Name, "Woden", after the Norse God - aka. "Wotan", "Odin"...

offsideref likes this.
  5. YellowBullet

YellowBullet Tele-Meister

Chron-O-John

it was early nineties, computer game called Day of the tentacle was just released and we all loved that game, so we took name for our hardcore band from the game. Good times!:)

offsideref likes this.
  6. dru9

dru9 TDPRI Member

Writhing in Pain. 1985

offsideref and Digital Larry like this.
  7. celtobilly

celtobilly Tele-Meister

Strange Attractors; 1990

offsideref likes this.
  8. ArchiMark

ArchiMark TDPRI Member

The Other Side......high school band joined in 1969.....

Reference to the Doors song...."Break on through to the other side....our keyboardist loved the Doors....hence the same.....

Somewhere around 1971 we decided to change the name to Sweetwater......don't remember why we changed name or who came up with it....don't think we last too long after that....

Those were the days....with my trusty ol' '66 black Les Paul Custom.....shoulda kept that one.....

;)

offsideref likes this.
  9. Yuro

Yuro Tele-Meister

The Staynes. It was as lame as the name implies.

offsideref likes this.
  10. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

I grew up in church choirs and church bands, so here there were also not any band names. So the first real band we formed was in just around 1991. We were called Resurrection Rappers. And yes, we were a rapband. All original songs and lyrics - where I wrote the lyrics. The problem was that we couldnt get a gig, because nobody wanted a church group with a band name they could pronounce :) - and to be fair, I think I was more or less also the only one that could pronounce it in our group :)

offsideref likes this.
  11. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Doug and the Torpedoes in 1972. Doug Clifford and Don White on drums. Chris Olson On Bass. Brent Hicks vocalist. Steve Holt and me on guitar.

Doug is in Branson playing n numerous bands. Chris is in San Rafael. Brent, Don, and I are still in Bakersfield. Steve is in the Sacramento area. Chris and I get together musically a few times a year. Brent and I were in a band recently. Don no longer plays drums. Steve is the mystery man.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    offsideref likes this.
  12. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

The Inmates

offsideref likes this.
  13. ljdellar

ljdellar TDPRI Member

We were about 14. My mum asked what on earth is the music you are playing in the garage? The reply "Heavy Rock".

She said "You should call yourselves 'Millstone Grit'". So we did.

Mbechmann and offsideref like this.
  14. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

We were called Bryce Hammer, named after a misreading of the Beatles accounting firm, Bryce Hanmer. We were definitely not Beatle-esque though... Total untuned punk slop and noise. 1984.

Turns out there's now a pro golfer named Bryce Hammer.

offsideref likes this.
  15. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

a) The <guy's name> Band - we learned 4 songs and played them all summer.
    b) The Genetic Defects
    c) (after some personnel changes, but much same repertoire as (b)) - D*FEX, which now included <guy> from (a)

There was some other band called DFEX or DFX, I don't know. What I liked about (b) and (c) was that it was mostly original and I even wrote 3 or 4 songs which (a few) people still remember after almost 40 years.

offsideref likes this.
  16. NickWebb

NickWebb Tele-Meister

Surprisingly I do well remember my first band, joined them in ‘62 at the age of twelve, we disbanded ‘66.

We were the “Spartans”, a Buckinghamshire band doing the usual pubs, wedding receptions and at times very rowdy local dance halls.

When I joined we were doing instrumentals. However with a new drummer (he was brilliant) and a lead singer (who had a Vox PA) we started punting out Kinks, Beatles ,Who and Stones covers
    I used to sing one song at that time, Mr Tambourine Man, the only song Byrds song I could get them to do. Hard to believe that at acoustic gigs fifty years later I’d still be singing that vary same song

Happy days, well some of them lol

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Telecaster88 and offsideref like this.
  17. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

That sounds amazing. I like your style.

OlRedNeckHippy likes this.
  18. premiumplus

premiumplus TDPRI Member

Stagefright. 1978...

offsideref likes this.
  19. zmix

zmix TDPRI Member

Ironically enough (considering that this is a Telecaster forum) my first bans was actually called the "Broadcasters"...

offsideref likes this.
  20. DWD1953

DWD1953 NEW MEMBER!

"The Lads" - Hauled equipment to our first gig in two Super Flyer wagons in August 1966. We were 13. I played my 1966 Telecaster purchased new for $134.50. Carried it in a sack until buying a new Fender case later for $35.
    Lads_Friends_Wagons_1b.jpg TheLadsSteps400.jpg

willie, Mbechmann, offsideref and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.