1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was the first note for note solo you ever learned?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Iron Maiden "Aces High."

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Rockinvet likes this.
  2. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

"I Walk The Line". It got me kicked out of my third guitar lesson when I was eight years old. The guitar teacher wanted me to learn Shoo Fly and Red River Valley. He threw me out and told my Mom she was wasting her money on me because I wasn't disciplined enough to be a guitar player. So, I went home and practiced like H**L to prove he was wrong.
    Three years later, when I was 11 years old....I had my first Country band and was playing the bars. True story.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    telemnemonics and Rockinvet like this.
  3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Walk, Don't Run

Telecastoff1, Rockinvet and DekeDog like this.
  4. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Probably Smells Like Teen Spirit. Later on in middle school I learned a bunch of Metallica ones like One, Master of Puppets, Four Horsemen. Then I never bothered until recently when I started taking lessons. My teacher has me learning some solos to see how modes and scales are being used in practice and it makes me feel silly that I didn't do more of that earlier.

Rockinvet likes this.
  5. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Walk Don't Run when it first came out.

After putting the guitar down for a number of years, I learned I Can't Tell You Why by the Eagles once I picked it back up again, which is funny, because I don't even like the Eagles.

Rockinvet likes this.
  6. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

Yes i like the thinking behind this the more licks one learns the easier it becomes to make up solos of your own as well, and you also find their are quite a few standard ones that are used, and some with just slight changes can sound alot different, and of course played on different sections on the neck can add interest to them.

Rockinvet and teletail like this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

As long as you’re having fun that is ALL that matters.

8. Sounds Good

Yes i do that more now as well just use the licks i have learnt, and then use my own timing and just use most of them as templates. Is good for feel and one does not get to mechanical either, i never used a metronome when i was learning i dont think Shawn Lane did either.

Rockinvet likes this.
  9. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I'm sure there are some out there, but I'm hard pressed to think of a single great guitarist that doesn't site influences and talk about learning at least some other people's solos.

It's like trying to write a novel without ever having read a book. Yea, some tiny number will be able to do it, but most will just flounder.

Ignorance is never an advantage.

Rockinvet and Sounds Good like this.
  10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Not really a solo per se, but the guitar hook in Poor Side of Town (at about:45), when I was about 9 years old.
    Nowadays, 9-year olds are playing progressive jazz and rock and stuff.

Rockinvet and Sounds Good like this.
  11. Sounds Good

Yes foundation building blocks i suppose, but i think our friend above means he does not think he would like to get them exact, and i suppose for the purists everything must be timed perfect and just like the original, which i dont think matters to much if it is a solo part of a song, it is like when a new guitarist joins a band he does them abit differently in most cases.

The rhythm should be in time though, but the solo one can use what one thinks fits to an extent, but if in a band maybe best to work things out to suit all the members more. If copying an instrumental which i never do now, the timing and notes need to line up more but i prefer to make my own ones up now, it is very tedious geting others exact i think and not much enjoyment either for me.

Just my views each to their own i suppose, keep on rocking in a free world as the song goes.

Rockinvet likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ignorance can just st as easily be maintained by learning one solo after another instead of learning to speak your own sentences.
    I think too many guitar solo styles are more based on guitar solos from the past than on the song in the present.

Rather than learning some old solo note for note, I think we gain more knowledge by playing our own part along with a solo we like.

No clue why that turned to hold type but it fit!

13. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

In 40 odd years I don't think I've ever learned a whole solo note for note. Got half fast close a few times then start doing my own thing.
    Like an idiot I agreed to play in a wedding next month, the song is A Country Wedding March, which sounds sorta like Here Comes The Bride. Probably the most painful thing I've ever tried to figure out, not hard just painful. I'm pretty confident that with the right level of intoxication I can pull off something that'll work. But it won't be note for note. :)

thunderbyrd and Telecastoff1 like this.
  14. telemnemonics

Of course if we can't figure out how to phrase due to lack of fingerboard knowledge, or can't imagine melody or harmony etc, maybe it will help to repeat old guitar solos.

I can't personally imagine not thinking melody and harmony though, where for example I have trouble learning to think in PC drop down menu access. So, much of how we best learn may relate to how our individual minds work.

OTOH, just as some of us whip out great songwriting with little effort while others can come up with a chord progression and rhyme words but just have no really good songs coming out; maybe not all guitar players need to be lead guitar players, or soloists.

The modern nature vs nurture debate seems to be central to the question, and what we now see in guitar music is that the most technically advanced players have taken over solo chores and nobody wants to hear a guitar sole any more.
    So often we feel pushed to learn stuff that doesn't come naturally, while being pushed to STOP doing things that are not "the standard".
    This is totally backwards IMO given that the great advances are invariably made by those who invent, rather than repeat.
    Not to suggest no great players started out trying to do what their hero just did, but having done that doesn't mean that's the route to becoming our own player. It's just found in some histories.
    Some used to think that since great musicians were often all doped up, dope must be essential to creativity.
    I think we can put that old myth to rest?

Science and the arts struggle with trying to define cause and effect.
    In many if not most cases we can see two commonalities and assume one caused the other.
    Did trying to play some old solo cause the next hero to be heroic?
    Or was that simply their nature, they had both the natural talent and the drive to work hard, so they became great.
    Now we think one thing or another thing they did on their path was the cause of their greatness.
    Hard work can include all sorts of smart and dumb things.
    To become recognized as outstanding, the only essential thing is IMO doing our own thing.

Maybe we should all work to our strengths instead of trying to become Swiss Army knife style players?

15. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Hey wait...I thought the general consensus here was, "no matter what I play, I always sound like me..."

16. telemnemonics

Hmmm, that does confuse the issue!

...chalk it up to info in the misinformation age...

17. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Animal Def Leppard. Sounded easy to play, I learnt it, then put it in the middle of a song I was writing.

It was in the wrong key, wrong pace, wrong everything. It sounded bad, but I could play it.

I've improved as a song writer now. All I do is leave a middle 8 for the much better lead guitarist to play his thing, I'm all about the rhythm.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.