1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was the first note for note solo you ever learned?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rockinvet, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I think it was probably the Allman Bros "Blue Sky". I remember making some attempts at other ones prior to that but Blue Sky was the first one I actually sat down and did properly.

I find it interesting that some people say they've never learned any solo note for note. To each their own and there's no right or wrong, etc., but I think transcribing is a skill that really helps your ear training and exposes you to new ideas and even techniques, especially when you take time to learn and analyze how the notes relate to the chords underneath. Again, whatever works for you and all that and this isn't any sort of criticism directed toward those who choose not to, but I think the best players have spent thousands of hours learning solos note for note and still do even when they've achieved high levels.

Sounds Good and Rockinvet like this.
  2. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I’m pretty sure it was the first solo in the GnR version of Knocking On Heaven’s Door.

Rockinvet likes this.
  3. ScottTunes

ScottTunes TDPRI Member

The Beatles "You Can't Do That"

Rockinvet likes this.
  4. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Into solo from Aerosmith’s “ I wanna know why” off the Draw the Line album

Rockinvet likes this.
  5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Runnin' with the Devil

Rockinvet likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Where are you stuck. It’s pretty much a minor scale the whole way through. (To give you a hint)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koen and Rockinvet like this.
  7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not a very good guitarist, and would likely be a better guitarist if I adopted your suggested approach of 100% transcribing accurately. That, and spending much more time on scales, timing, "nailing" things, metronome etc. I'll never do it, have no interest and not willing to invest the time.

But with regard to solos specifically, I really prefer to get the overall vibe of the solo and put my own thing into it. Honestly, I have actually liked a couple of things I've put in there as an improvement over the original (again... MY opinion, others would not likely agree haha).

I always felt that was a better solo than Ace was probably capable of pulling off--wonder if it's really him? Good solo!

Rockinvet likes this.
  8. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

I have rarely ever learned or played solos, and certainly not note for note.

The first one I remember learning note for note was from a song called Perfect by Fairground Attraction that we used to cover. It lasts maybe eight bars and I almost never got it right when playing live.

Rockinvet likes this.
  9. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Yes there would have been 3 gtrs + bass.
    For most of their years they would have had Graham Goble on rhythm/acoustic, Beeb Birtles on rhythm/occasional lead and either Ric Formosa, Dave Briggs or Steve Housden on lead. Bass players were Roger Mclachlan, George McArdle then Wayne Nelson. After Glen Shorrock was replaced by John Farnham (now there's a singer) they plowed on for another 5 years of so then it all turned very nasty. It still continues to this day and the venom between current and former lineups is on a Waters vs Gilmour level

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Rockinvet likes this.
  10. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Could be either or. Just that one thing you mastered and were so proud to play. For me it was the solo I guess. But there are so many good responses I wouldn’t want to narrow it down. It’s just great to pique everyone’s interest and hear opinions. It’s what makes this site so fun.

11. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

Now that’s a classic!

12. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

That’s great! Learning solos is a good way to learn. Once you get a few down those techniques become part of your arsenal.

13. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Afflicted

You are so right. Transcribing is how most of the greats got their chops. It’s not that you play the solos note for note but they become part of your chops and the more you do the more your vocabulary increases. The point I was trying to make though in addition to that was the pride you had when you learned that first solo. Each one after that becomes part of your ear and technical skill. Back in the day it was a badge of honor when you were known as the guy or gal who could play that solo in “such and such” tune.
    Heck it was just fun. Little did we know that every solo you learn has something in it that becomes part of your own style and technique. Then you can play whatever you want!

Sounds Good likes this.
  14. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

The solo in Bustin Surfboards. I learned it note for note from a guitar tab. It took me about a month before I could properly play it. Now I play it all the time with my band. It sounds good with a bass player.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Rockinvet likes this.
  15. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

Thanks, good to know :)

Will give it another shot this weekend. Maybe it’s on OLGA.

Rockinvet and dlew919 like this.
  16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I've always strived to stay away from that line of thought and course.

Pretty successfully.

Yes, I've learned licks and phrases.

But, songs like "Sultans of Swing" that have definitive solos, never interested me; though I certainly appreciate the solo and love Knopfler's playing.

I read that JJ Cale never really could, or cared to copy stuff.

So he invented his own style.

I liked that line of thought...

Rockinvet likes this.
  17. bangcaster

bangcaster Tele-Meister

Me too!

Rockinvet likes this.
  18. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Smells like teen spirit. Easy.

Rockinvet likes this.
  19. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think it was the first solo on "Deuce" by Kiss.

Rockinvet likes this.
  20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

This is one where I got thrown up on stage and played at age 14 in front of 2,000 people

No big deal but I was playing for less than 18 months and had to do all of the stuff with my best mate on guitar and brother on drums.

Rockinvet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.