What was the first concert you ever attended?

Discussion in 'Epic Threads' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Dec 1, 2010.

1. kddean66

kddean66 Tele-Holic

Mine was in the same venue 12 years later. I saw The Cars in 1979 at the Civic Center. A friend's mom heard the tickets go on sale, stopped by and happened to get some. The venue was so small that the tix sold out in 30 minutes. It was an awesome concert because there were no bad seats in the Civic Center. Unfortunately, if it doesn't have 20k seats, bands don't want to play there anymore. :(

2. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Tele-Holic

Allman Brothers Band, Trenton (New Jersey) Speedway, October 1973...what an awakening
    there were riots, hells angels riding around the race track, people on the roof of the wooden grandstand throwing bottles. Riot cops went up there and there was a huge fight on the roof. People climbing a 40 foot fence and having liquor bottles thrown at them when the show was stopped due to them being up there...

Ah, the memories....LONG LIVE ROCK

3. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

Rolling Stones....Altamont......no wait...that was just a flash back he he.....no seriously.....Kiss 1978/1979 ish....Ace is the reason I play guitar today.

4. Sarrkazztic

Sarrkazztic Tele-Meister

I saw Alanis Morrisette in the Salem Armory back in 95. Very cool little venue and more sane than going to the Rose Garden Arena in PDX. I lived in Springfield/Eugene at the time.

5. aunchaki

aunchaki Friend of Leo's

The Go-Go's Vacation Tour, Pine Knob, outside Detroit, spring 1982.

Yeah. I know...

6. TCA117

TCA117 TDPRI Member

Jethro Tull, Madison Square Garden, 1977. Still have the WPLJ button they gave away as the concerts host radio station. Sat in blue seats, smokers paradise.

7. kingfish

kingfish Tele-Holic

Fats Domino 1958. Some large venue in the Tacoma, area - don't remember exactly where. I was just a kid then, but totally into music.

8. gsstage1

gsstage1 TDPRI Member

KISS at St. Paul Civic Center 1986.
    I brought my son to see Los Lobos at the MN Zoo when he was 4.
    He's 9 now and has seen Los Lobos 3 more times, KISS and Rush.

9. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Summer 1970, D.C. Stadium. Allman Brothers. Followed by Crow. Then the headliner: Grand Funk Railroad. Kill me now. :oops:

10. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jefferson Airplane - 1967 Unicorn Coffee House, Boston MA. I saw them twice the same week there. Surrealistic Pillow had just been released.

11. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

1973,the Grateful Dead at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ,I was 14.

12. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

Cream 1968 farewell tour in Detroit's own Olympia. Tickets were $3.50. Friends and Lovers was the opening act. I was wearing a gold nehru jacket. What a dweeb.

13. KeefRiffhard

KeefRiffhard Tele-Meister

Great thread, makes me feel not quite so old ;)

My first big concert was the Clash in Milwaukee in the early 80's; unfortunately the sound was horrible and it was shortly after Mick Jones was kicked out so it could have been better. The funny thing was that Frank Sinatra was playing next door at the same time so the parking lot scene was pretty funny.

14. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

To be honest, my first official concert was not the Aerosmith show my older brother took me to at the Spectrum in the early 90s, that's what I usually tell people.

My actual first was an Elton John concert at the Cap Center in Maryland with my older female cousin. I was about 13 or 14, she was about 19 or 20, and I was visiting her family in Arlington, VA. Turns out she had plans, and an extra ticket, to see Elton John with a group of her friends, who were all big fans...I wasn't a fan, so I certainly wasn't looking forward to it, until I saw her group of friends, one in particular.

Obviously, none of these college girls had the slightest interest in me, nor should they, but I was on my 'coolest' behavior, ("I play guitar, ever hear of Stevie Ray Vaughn") and doing the math in my head all night..."when I'm 18, she'll be 24, hopefully she's not married by then and I'll have a shot". Though I vowed to, I never saw her again, but she was hot.

As far as the concert, it was good I guess.

15. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

Elvis Presley, 1973. To this day best show I ever saw, and to this day never saw girls go bat crazy like that. Couldn't even hear the band when he sang "hunka hunka burnin love." The chicks were screaming like their toes were burning.
    Anyone who disputes that Elvis was the King never saw him.

16. mrothe

mrothe Tele-Meister

Kansas, in Billy Greer's backyard: Surgoinsville, TN on the High School football field. It seemed like they tripled their population that night and when Kansas went on, it was magical...what a sound! It was probably in about 1992.

17. BignJames

BignJames TDPRI Member

Wow...haven't seen that term used since....?

Iron Butterfly....69ish?

18. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Jefferson Airplane, John Mayall, Lighthouse at the Phila. Spectrum '69 or '70.

19. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Kiss at the Omni in Atlanta, 1977. It was the "Love Gun" tour. I went with a bunch of friends (we were all 12) and one of their moms. We were sitting way up high, and everybody around us was smoking pot. The guy behind me offered me a hit and I said "No thank you" very politely.

20. django365

django365 Tele-Meister

Pat Travers Band, Calderone Concert Hall ,Long Island, my Ears rang for 3 Days

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.