1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What was the first concert you ever attended?

Discussion in 'Epic Threads' started by BeatlesAreMyJam, Dec 1, 2010.

1. rbell457

rbell457 TDPRI Member

Led Zeppelin, Minneapolis, MN sometime in April 1977. Not the best Zep show, it was a few hours late due to Jimmy Page being "ill". The last 45 mins did really make up for the first hour or so, so I can't complain at all. To this day it's still the loudest show I've ever been to.

2. rsmithhyv

rsmithhyv NEW MEMBER!

Fleetwood Mac, Grand Funk Railroad, Richard Pryor and Sly and the Family Stone at Madison Square Garden NYC, February 13, 1970. Amazing show.

3. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

1965-New Haven Coliseum-the original Rolling Stones, 5 rows back,center section-it was
    unbelievable!!!!

4. Billy B. Bad

Billy B. Bad Tele-Meister

Rush - Hemispheres tour 1979 Sam Houston Coliseum Houston, Texas

5. dougmon

dougmon Tele-Meister

Jethro Tull on the "Passion Play" tour. Think it was 73, but since I was really there, I can't remember.

6. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

August 28, 1966. Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles. The Beatles, The Cyrcle, The Ronettes, The Remains (there may have been one or two more acts). The next-to-last paying-venue concert the Beatles ever did. The next night they played at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, after that never again (the rooftop concert wasn't a paying venue). Being 15 I couldn't drive, so my best friend Rick and I got a ride from either his Mom or my parents (can't remember which).

Yes, the screams of the teen girls were loud, but not so loud that they drowned out the band - the Beatles were incredibly good. They were the last act. The singles at the time were Rain & Paperback Writer, both of which they played really well. But the most memorable part was when they tried to get away.

When their set was over, they ran into a big tent behind the stage and jumped into a couple limos which headed toward the outfield gate. But hundreds, maybe thousands, of teen girls just flowed over the fences separating the stands from the field and surrounded the cars before they could get out. One of them (Paul?) opened a window and one of the girls grabbed his shirt and was pulling on it, nearly choked him. One of the other guys (George?) took his shirt off in the car and offered it through the window to the girl, to get her to let go of Paul's shirt, thus stopping him from being choked to death. The cars slowly backed up to the tent, then a really large number of cops made two lines from the stage (which was around where second base would be) to the dugout area, making sort of a human tunnel. The Beatles walked through that to the dugout area and got away.

7. Jer77

Jer77 NEW MEMBER!

June 30, 1995. Three Rivers Stadium, Pittsburgh, PA. The Grateful Dead. I was 12. The tie-dyed GD tees came down past my knees and I learned what a roach was. Jerry played only 5 more times after.

8. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

My First Concert - Paul Revere & the Raiders

Paul Revere and the Raiders. Summer of 1966 at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago!

9. Prism879

Prism879 Tele-Meister

Rush. Last Wednesday. :D

10. cutter2001

cutter2001 TDPRI Member

FooFighters 2004

11. Dallas_359

Dallas_359 TDPRI Member

INXS, I think around 1987 at the Thomas&Mack in Las Vegas, NV

12. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

original Rolling stones,New Haven Coliseum-1965

13. jrskater1999

jrskater1999 TDPRI Member

First concert: TrabsSiberian Orchestra 2011
    First rock concert: Van Halen 2012

14. jrskater1999

jrskater1999 TDPRI Member

And then Boston 2012
    Motley Crue and Kiss 2012

15. tape

tape Tele-Meister

hey, I was at that show!

My first was Rush at the Worcester Centrum in December of 1991.

16. Mister B

Mister B Tele-Holic

First gig was Walter Trout, in a small local club. Around 1992 I'd guess.

My first proper concert was Pink Floyd at Earl's Court in 1994. I found the ticket stub the other day, I remember it as if it was yesterday (can't believe it was nearly 20 years ago).

17. Dave1234

Dave1234 Tele-Afflicted

Angel Witch in some Pub in Eltham, South East London, late seventies. I was fourteenish

18. Fenderbender60

Fenderbender60 Tele-Holic

Boston
    Sammy Hagar opened

19. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wishbone Ash, and Fleetwood Mac (with Bob Welch). Pershing Auditorium, Lincoln NE, sometime in 1972-73.

20. Jimmyspaz

Jimmyspaz Tele-Holic

A little update on that post, the Fortunetellers manager informs me that in fact it wasn't the police that switched off the electricity, the promoter skipped with the ticket money so the venue cut the power. Mick assumed it was the police wrongly. None of the musicians (including the Stones) were paid. Also, that wasn't really my first concert, I saw the Dave Clark Five at the same place in the fall of '64.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.