What was the best/most significant album released in the 1980's?

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Not sure if I saw Husker Du and Flip Your Wig/Metal Circus/Zen Arcade on here (probably the latter of those three in terms of influence/impact).

NC E30

Tele-Meister
It is impossible to capture the essence of the 80's in just one album. There were so many different genres that encompass that decade, everything from punk and hard rock spilling over from the late 70's to new wave, alternative, hair metal, and rap that came into their own in the 80's.

Maybe I see it that way because that was the music of my formative teen years and I can't put the decade in one little box.

Drew617

Tele-Holic
Most significant: Synchronicity, because pop albums for the rest of the 80s sounded a lot like Synchronicity. But that sucks and I hate it.

Best, probably: I'm Your Man, The Queen is Dead, or Paul's Boutique.

scottser

Friend of Leo's
Probably not best or most significant but would definitely find a home on any turntable:

The Pogues, rum, sodomy & the lash
The Specials, self titled
Talking Heads, stop making sense
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, rattlesnakes
Boomtown Rats, the fine art of surfacing
NWA, straight outta compton
Motorhead, ace of spades

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Whether or not you like Michael, Thriller had a major impact on the industry. This was my first thought for the most important album of the 80s.
what was that impact, specifically?

I was there, it was popular, but so were a lot of other records

early hip hop in the 80s was more impactful in retrospect

Jackson was the Mozart of Motown music, a late, highly refined classical version of it with popular appeal

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
When determining the most significant album of the ‘80s, it’d be dishonest to ignore MTV.

Therefore, the correct answer is Thriller by a mile. The Thriller video was a sensation, and was as close as the ‘80s got to a Beatles on Ed Sullivan moment.

Other contenders might include Duran Duran, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Huey Lewis and the News. Maybe Poison or Bon Jovi. Maybe Madonna.

Best is a different discussion and none of those would be on my list.

Audiowonderland

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
So my oldest daughter recently moved back to Texas from the Great White North and has really gotten in to listening to music on her new turntable. I have been using this situation as an opportunity to buy her albums that I think were important in the decade they were released in. I realize this is a totally subjective list but maybe this will show you my thought process.

Here's my list so far:

1950's: Kind of Blue-Miles Davis

1960's: Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band-The Beatles

1970's: Tapestry-Carole King

1980's...?
Back in black

Les H

Tele-Holic
Like it or lump it but the success of this album being the first #1 Heavy Metal album ever opened a lot of doors for future rock bands throughout the remainder of the decade and deserves mentioning.

OIP.l4Nbji1oJhw3T_n3JHAewgHaHa

David C

Tele-Holic
what was that impact, specifically?

I was there, it was popular, but so were a lot of other records

early hip hop in the 80s was more impactful in retrospect

Jackson was the Mozart of Motown music, a late, highly refined classical version of it with popular appeal
It wasn't just the album, but combined with it was one of the most expensive videos ever produced at the time. The video and album were released on a worldwide basis simultaneously. The album won 8 grammies in 1984.
The album, Thriller, still holds the record for the most worldwide sales at somewhere around 70 million.

The guy could dance!

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I don't have a definitive answer, but I Disintegration by the Cure and Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails are 2 of my favorites that come to mind as very inspirational to me personally.
The Cure’s Disintegration is the first one that came to my mind as well.

NIN’s Pretty Hate Machine had a huge lasting influence - still does.

I’d also throw in the Jesus and Mary Chain’s Psychocandy. Lots and lots of influence there - shoegaze and bands like The Raveonettes, Dum Dum Girls being some great examples of that record’s progeny.

radtz

Tele-Holic
The Cure’s Disintegration is the first one that came to my mind as well.

NIN’s Pretty Hate Machine had a huge lasting influence - still does.

I’d also throw in the Jesus and Mary Chain’s Psychocandy. Lots and lots of influence there - shoegaze and bands like The Raveonettes, Dum Dum Girls being some great examples of that record’s progeny.
I couldn't agree more with you. I haven't heard the Dum Dum Girls. I'm off to the utubez...