What was the best/most significant album released in the 1980's?

BFcaster

Tele-Meister
My own music tastes aside, Public Enemy and this:
81rwgpU6dOL._SX450_.jpg

This album was all over the tv and the radio. I'd say she opened the door for many female artists/dancers/singers/whatever that followed.

Mark617

Tele-Holic
The songwriting and performances on Tapestry are great imo. I know it’s over hyped but don’t you think it’s possible that there are a few albums live up to their reputation?
I do and it’s very subjective. Which is why I tossed the grenade and said I’ll await the backlash lol

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I’m thinking the general consensus for this thread is Michael Jackson’s Thriller so that’s what I’m going with. There were a lot of people mentioning Back in Black and Appetite for Destruction so I may pick those up too. Thanks for all the suggestions! I knew y’all wouldn’t leave me hanging.

And Happy New Year everyone.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
Don't know if this has been mentioned already but
The_Joshua_Tree.png

I didn't even like U2 before this.
Best engine room of the '80s.

thegaijin

Tele-Meister
upload_2022-1-2_9-36-13.jpeg

Don’t think any tele’s were used, but this is a huge album in the hip hop world. 1988. Hip Hop is the “best selling” genre if that’s anything to judge from and if we look at the question raised here as an effort to find album of the decade that influenced future decades, then this has to be up there.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Nation_of_Millions_to_Hold_Us_Back

That said however, I’d be hard pressed to place any album above Thriller for the 1980’s.

From the 1970’s I guess there were more important albums that left an impact on music and society than Carole King. Ramones, The Who or Sex Pistols maybe? Even U2 can trace their beginnings to Punk. Stairway came out in 1971. So much good stuff to consider. Love this thread. However I’d prefer my daughter listen to Carole as opposed to Sid, so maybe stick to Tapestry. Haha :)

FWIW, Oasis for the 90’s. Then iTunes came out in 2001 so we needn’t worry about any great albums again.

Last edited:

Mouth

Tele-Afflicted
I didn't read the 7 pages so far, but read this page and ^^^ Madonna is a great choice.

1999 is another huge one for me.

My choice was released as a single in 1983, but wasn't released on an album until several years later.

New Order Blue Monday.

I think that single's popularity indicated what was going on and where things were headed.

Last edited:

backalleyblues

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
upload_2022-1-1_21-11-42.jpeg

Probably the most influential album most here haven’t heard-way beyond its time and still ahead of its time 40 years later... go have a listen and hear how much bands have taken from this album since (Tool, the entire math rock genre, and progressive rock that followed this record)...

Franc Robert