What was the best/most significant album released in the 1980's?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
My favorite album from the 80s was not exactly a critical or commercial success, but that's not important to me.

A Fierce Pancake
, by Stump. The music was...mind blowing. Bassist Kevin Hopper is a monster. If Claypool floats your boat, Hopper is where he got it from. Here's the entire album.

The first tune is is about a guy who take hallucinogenics and jumps from a high-rise. So yeah, some of it is pretty dark. But most of it is goofy/wacky and a whole lot of fun.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pride_(Robert_Palmer_album)

71pTWDRH89L._SL1000_.jpg

EsquireOK

Poster Extraordinaire
My own vote for the '80s spot would probably go to Purple Rain, The Queen Is Dead, Licensed to Ill, or Straight Outta Compton.

As for the one that belongs on your list, it would obviously be Thriller...and I honestly can't say anything to detract from that choice. It's one of the greatest albums of all time, and also one of the most influential.

Rock had very little to offer in the '80s, IMO. You have to turn to R&B, and the more gloomy side of rock to find the good stuff in the '80s.

Last edited:

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Ignoring the place on the charts or personal taste and this is most certainly not mine.

Probably has to be Thriller, not only did it influence the style of many as a package but also influenced the sounds and styles of the guitar, bass, drums, keys etc world wide.

If we were talking mid to end of the 70s I would nominate Saturday Night Fever in a heartbeat and I dislike disco with a passion.

Like said, ignore personal taste and look at what was inspired to follow.

Today we have monotone generally tuneless carp ruling the charts

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
One of these, not necessarily in this order:

1. The Clash - Combat Rock
2. Punk and Disorderly compilation
3. Punk ad Disorderly III

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
Most significant? Toss up between Michael Jackson Thriller and Peter Gabriel So.

Any other suggestion is based on personal favoritism and experience. These two albums, OTOH, were significant.

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
Murmur created “alternative”.

REM would argue several other bands invented “alternative” before they recorded Murmur. Before Chronic Town, even.

Television would be at the top of their list. But Peter Buck was a huge underground music fan even before REM begat, and worked at a record store. Read what he wrote on the Dead Letter Office liner notes about hearing Pylon on the local radio the day Chronic Town was released.

CRAZY
A Song by Pylon. I remember hearing their version on the radio the day that Chronic Town came out and being suddenly depressed by how much better it was than our record.
Outtake from Fables of the Reconstruction.

Murmur was a hugely significant album. But OP asked the most significant. That would be Thriller or So. I say this as a huge IRS era REM fan.

Last edited:

Whatizitman

Poster Extraordinaire
Why Peter Gabriel So? How and why compared to Thriller, for example? Everything about it from a creative and production standpoint. And sonic-wise, it still sounds like it was recorded last week. The only other album I could say the same about is Back in Black. Also a significant album. But not the most significant, as it was too genre-specific. Thriller and So crossed multiple pop music boundaries.