What was the best/most significant album released in the 1980's?

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
Either

C8A9CD63-E95E-41DF-9318-DD4B2FE59DA4.jpeg

or
BAAC5A74-BED3-41F1-806A-C2500A1ABA55.jpeg

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
Sorry.
Yeah, I know ... music is subjective. It's just that the hair band and rap and stuff just hasn't held up very well.
Just my opinion.
Carry on!
All of the most popular music for the past 15 years has been hip hop. Like it or lump it, it’s the preeminent genre in music today, and consumed by billions of people. It’s held up extremely well, and I dunno if that’s really subjective.

don’t disagree with you on the hair band stuff though. Woof.

Lowerleftcoast

Poster Extraordinaire
Chaka Khan

Bette Midler

Stones - Tattoo You - Steel Wheels

George Clinton - Atomic Dog

Pat Travers - Crash and Burn

Clapton - Behind the Sun

Floyd - The Wall - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
There is not just one because "best/most significant" is a bit too broad a category. One has to consider $$/sales, popularity, radio airplay, influence on other artists, innovativeness/originality, etc. It's impossible to name one. But since you asked... ;)

But for me, it's Doolittle by The Pixies. It was the proto-grunge signal to the world that music was about to change in a really big way.

Running a close second is The Pretenders, by...The Pretenders. At that time, you could not go anywhere without hearing their jangly, muscular rock and perfectly strong, perfectly vulnerable vocals by Chrissie Hynde.

Third? Murmur, by R.E.M. They were the kings of Indie Rock before it was even a term in the business.

Geoff738

Poster Extraordinaire
Iirc London Calling came out in 79 in the UK but not until January across the pond, so it probably gets my vote.

While I’d love to nominate a Replacements record, they were all uneven at best. Maybe Zen Arcade would be a better choice, although I prefer the Mats.

Interiors by Rosanne Cash might be my fave record from that decade, unless it came out in 90, but hardly influential.

can’t argue with Public Enemy though either.

Cheers,
Geoff

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Says the man with admittedly no '80s records in a pretty extensive collection. :rolleyes:

Haha! Well taking into consideration your choices I’ll double down on my claim!

No accounting for
Says the man with admittedly no '80s records in a pretty extensive collection. :rolleyes:

That first post put your credibility regarding the subject on pretty shaky legs. With your second post, you essentially leaned over with a chainsaw and cut them off at the ankles. :lol:

Regarding MTV, I bought hundreds of LPs in the '80s, and almost zero of them were MTV fare. There was much more to music than MTV.

Hmmmm

And the ones you listed are supposed to contradict my statement?

I think they helped prove it! Thanks!