What was the best/most significant album released in the 1980's?

djem

TDPRI Member
By 1981, a lot of people outside of Canada didn't know too much about Rush. After this album, they did.

PS - to me this album was the apogee of their early/first prog phase. For me, all their early work culminated with this album's release. All their future works left their early identity behind and focused on a new direction that was, at first, very synth-oriented. After Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, and Hold your Fire, they released Presto that did have the occasional nod to the past. Still, it wasn't 'old Rush', and we knew it would never again be 'old Rush'. Fast-forward to Clockwork Angels and we got the closest thing to 'old Rush'. It was a great album and an amazing concert tour, unfortunately, their last for both. RIP Neil Peart.

PPS - my first Rush concert was back in 1977 for the Farewell to Kings tour; I was 11. That was also the first concert I was allowed to go to. In 2015, I took my son to his first Rush concert. He was 9 years old and loved it as much as I did. Looking back and reflecting, it's kinda sad since it was my son's first and last Rush concert.

1642389271090.png

Last edited:

radtz

Tele-Holic
The Cure’s Disintegration is the first one that came to my mind as well.

NIN’s Pretty Hate Machine had a huge lasting influence - still does.

I’d also throw in the Jesus and Mary Chain’s Psychocandy. Lots and lots of influence there - shoegaze and bands like The Raveonettes, Dum Dum Girls being some great examples of that record’s progeny.
2 songs in and I'm hooked on the Dum Dum Girls. Thanks Nogoodnamesleft

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Don't know if it's "most significant," but it was my fav and affirmed my faith in r n'r:

Attachments

• placemat.jpeg
    placemat.jpeg
    12.5 KB · Views: 5