What was the best/most significant album released in the 1980's?

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
So my oldest daughter recently moved back to Texas from the Great White North and has really gotten in to listening to music on her new turntable. I have been using this situation as an opportunity to buy her albums that I think were important in the decade they were released in. I realize this is a totally subjective list but maybe this will show you my thought process.

Here's my list so far:

1950's: Kind of Blue-Miles Davis

1960's: Sergeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band-The Beatles

1970's: Tapestry-Carole King

1980's...?

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
upload_2021-12-31_13-41-26.png

YMMV on this one, but I don’t think there’s a record that better defines the decade- or what’s come since.

im partial to this one though for honorable mention

upload_2021-12-31_13-42-53.jpeg

Last edited:

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I gotta disagree about Thriller. It's a fantastic album with great music and sales most people would envy, but it doesn't really feel like 80s music to me. I hate to use the word, but it's a bit more timeless. Same argument probably applies to Born in the USA.

So many of the songs and bands that really defined 80s music (for me) were small-volume hit machines. Flock of Seagulls. the Fixx. Gary Newmann. Duran Duran. But I can't think of a single album by any of those I consider truly epic.

If I had to nail it down to 80s albums that were huge for me and that I still listen to, it's probably Zenyatta Mondata or Ghost in the Machine by the Police. U2 made some amazing music then, as well, but I didn't really get it until much later.

regularslinky

Tele-Afflicted
"Best and "most significant" are arguably very different things. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" is probably the "most significant" based on cultural impact alone, but I wouldn't list it with the "best" of the decade. As far as "best" pick your favorite:

Prince "Purple Rain"
Clash "London Calling"
Tom Waits "Rain Dogs"
AC/DC "Black in Black"
Springsteen "Born in the USA"

All perfect records, very definitive statements by the artists, and very influential. IMHO.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Don't know about best or most significant but here's a few real strong ones:

Joshua Tree-U2
So-Peter Gabriel
Ghost In The Machine/Sychronicity (pick 'em)-Police
Southern Accent-Tom Petty&Heartbreakers
Brothers In Arms-Dire Straits
Purple Rain-Prince

Last edited:

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
Oh damn this is a good one
I had a college radio show back in the 80s

after me came the late night Sunday show, and man, what a party

all those guys played was Chicago house, and the place just lit up like the phone lines

fun times, even though my thing was jazz fusion, which eventually turned into Django, which eventually led me back to country roots

ultimately, it's all music

the 80s were the last time there was public music, when the radio had a ton of different things before it all homogenized into globo-rap

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Tapestry, personally feels like pandering. But hey, that’s me

I’ll sit back and watch this unfold lol

The songwriting and performances on Tapestry are great imo. I know it’s over hyped but don’t you think it’s possible that there are a few albums live up to their reputation?

Last edited: