What was the best guitar you bought this year?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Blazer, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Although I bought a couple of decent guitars this year, the best instrument I bought this year was a bass.

I was a full time bassplayer years ago and played mostly Fender Jazz Basses, modified Fender Musicmasters and even had a Bass VI for awhile. I never owned or wanted to own a Precision.

I found a 1982 MIJ SQ Squier Precision in a local pawn shop that had some honest wear on it. It had a sunburst sen ash body and was much lighter than my current Jazz basses. And dispite the modest quality electronics it sounded great. So I swapped my #2 bass, a MIM Fender Jazz bass, for it.

It is nice to have that classic Precision "thump"

2. Bobb2

Bobb2 Tele-Meister

Tough call. I bought three guitars this year. A 62 Gretsch Tennessean, Ric 330/12 and a Ric 360/6.The black Gretsch was purchased Oct/11 All great guitars and unique to what others are using.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Lots of beautiful guitars!

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That Tennie looks quite like mine - a '61 that I bought a year ago this week.

[​IMG]

I didn't technically 'buy' any guitars this year. I did trade a MIM Strat for an Epi Firebird Studio, which I love. Now if I can only find a gig bag big enough to carry it around in!

[​IMG]

- D

5. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

This one:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Blinky

Blinky Tele-Meister

People call it the "Hammer" and I don't know why
    Guild Gad D125. All solid mahogany. Great tone for strumming, especially the older 60's folk tunes.

7. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

A Very Merry Christmas to everyone!

I waited until today to see if Santa might perhaps leave a '59 LP 'burst under the tree - with my name on it. The old guy didn't I'm afraid, so I'll go count my pieces of coal and double check the bag of dirt instead. Bah Humbug ... :(

On a more serious note, this year saw the acquisition of a 'used' '06 R8 VOS 'Iced tea' Plain top LP, which is possibly the nicest playing LP I own or have ever owned. I also managed to snag a CS Limited Edition '51 Nocaster Relic. This too is really a heck of a nice guitar.

I refuse to part with either, so they must share the "best guitar bought this year award" .... and yes, I am a very spoilt brat. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

PV '52

6.5lbs of Tele perfection.

Attached Files:

9. jc93230

jc93230 Tele-Holic

Will have to wait till later this week to pick. New guitar is not here yet.

10. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Toss up between a '70s Ovation and a 80's Yamaha classical
    Both were bought for little money with the intention to flip. Both sound excellent, andI ended up selling "better" guitars and putting a little $$ in the pocket for the holidays.
    Win win!

11. Jeranhound

Jeranhound Tele-Meister

Probably cheating, since it's all I got this year, but my Encore copy of the gibson L6. $200 off of GC's vintage wall. I think it's Korean, judging by an auction I saw for an Encore Tele or strat copy on ebay.

Not any really great pictures. I've got the one that GC took of it and a couple I took out in the sunlight.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I eventually want to replace the switching system with the 6 way rotary of an L6 and to put in a mids knob instead of the usual trebel tone control.

12. andrenighthound

andrenighthound Tele-Afflicted

I finally got my dream guitar! A 2012 Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe!

Mini humbuckers are killer! Super happy with my "Goldie"
    image-106513705.jpg

image-3509336097.jpg

image-772226155.jpg

Attached Files:

13. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Only bought three, but Epiphone '56 Goldtop for $349 is the best. Really. This thing plays, looks and feels great. The pickups are OK, but I might swap them out for something else. Lots of P90 chopices out there. Maybe Lollars or Fralins. Personally, I still think Gibson makes a great P90.

14. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I will break it down in 3 categories.

1. "Best" guitar - 86 MIJ Fender Strat w/ System 1 ~ $450
    2. Best Deal - Takamine C132S for $125 in a pawn shop ~ run about $900 new.
    3. One I play the most - mid 80's MIJ Squier Strat w/ System 1 ~ $200

Attached Files:

15. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

Lots of Gretsch guitars in this thread and I'll add one more. Just agreed yesterday to buy a Gretsch G6120DS. I've been looking for a 6120 with single coil Dynasonics and I finally pulled the trigger on one.

16. Zillinois

Zillinois Friend of Leo's

This one!

[​IMG]

17. jglenn

jglenn Tele-Afflicted

I got a really nice Ibanez semi,that a shop re did completely,bone nut,new buckers,all pots and wiring,for 350.00 with case at the local guitar show,sadly in the process of selling it to a friend,so I can get my first LP Junior from another friend,hopefully by years end! But these Ibanez axes can be really nice players with a little set up work,and a new part or two,highly recomended.

18. harleysr

harleysr Former Member

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus in Heritage Cherry Sunburst. Quite iconic. Lovely to play.

Attached Files:

19. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes they do. I don't think Lollars or Fralins are any better than the new stock Gibson P90's. Different, but not necessarily better.

20. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

I bought a refinished J45. It's been around the block quite a few times and looks like hell. The bridge, tuners, and frets have been replaced and the braces have been reglued by a couple of really good bay area luthiers. The tapered headstock and post script logo mark it as a late 40's build, and the feel of the neck and sound quality are out of this world! I've shown it to a couple of guitar-playing friends who wrinkle their noses and frown until they play it, then drop their jaws and ask me to let them know first if I ever decide to sell it.

It's a keeper...

I wish I knew how to post a pic, and if I ever learn how I'll add one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.