What was a Broadcaster worth in 1980?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by BeelzeBob, Nov 1, 2019.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Yes location, location, location..
    I worked in a “ vintage “ shop
    78-80 ( we called them used guitars) We had a “nocaster” on consignment for the better part of a year at “$ 1000? Really? ok but I will take less” Eventually the guy took it back. This was a big country area, but people wanted new & shiny down at the VFD.

Fretting out likes this.
  2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I remember a pawn having two Goldtops for $160 back in 1975.
    I had just barely enough money for one of them, but passed because neither had a full set of strings.
    Still kicking myself.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Just Dropped In

Just Dropped In TDPRI Member

Emerald City Guitars has a '50 at $148,500! Just work backwards 39-40 years.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

@BeelzeBob I would caution you against moving the entire timeline of your novel ahead a decade. As you said, "It's not central to the plot, but being a guitar fan, I want to work it in."

Kill your darlings. Are you writing a book just to include such a thing? Why not make it a vintage Porsche? Unless the guitar and its actual value in the setting of the book is central to the plot, I'd say drop it. You're already three days in to November and stuck on a point that doesn't move the story forward. Not a path to success.

naveed211 and Fretting out like this.
  5. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Vintage Tele value has risen a lot in the past 20 years and it used to be that Strats were about double the price. Not so much anymore.

But, in the mid 90's a blackguard was about a $7,000-$10,000 guitar, market value. I'd say possibly half that by the late 80's. Early 80's $2,000-$4,000.

Broadcasters, however, were usually more coin than a blackguard and depending on the dealer would be the markup, maybe another 50% for their rarity.

Of course, in the 80's you still had some separation between shops in the know and what you could find out in the wild. A lot of people made some serious dough.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I think that Mike Campbell gave $600 for his. :cool:

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Not sure this helps, but my dad sold his '56 Strat around that time (a little earlier), for $800 via local classifieds. Strats were far more common than Teles, but also far more desirable and expensive. Yet the Broadcaster is a special case, being so famous and rare. I would say it's safe to value a Broadcaster like a '50s Strat, or a little higher, in your story.

I would write Norm Harris and explain that you are doing research for a book, and ask him for the historical values of that time.

Fretting out likes this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hmmm...I seem to remember, in the mid/late 70s, a burst being about 2500.
    My 6-year-old '71 Deluxe was $250.
    REAL cool ones were $600.
    Actual bursts...2500.
    It seemed crazy when great Lesters were available for 1/4 that.
    That's how I remember it, anyway.
    I remember holding a beat sunburst Strat, around 1977, with a small headstock and a HUGE neck that Sammy Ash wanted $250 for.
    Not sure of the year, but when did boat necks go away?
    Rumor was, someone who scouted guitars for Bonnie Raitt when she was on tour got it.

9. deytookerjaabs

Think about this, the market spread out over time.

So, in '82 when a Blackguard was $3,000 a white guard was a mere $1,000 bucks or less!! Meanwhile the Fullerton reissue '52 was $600.

10. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

No My oldest Vintage guitar price guide is from 2001 and a broadcaster is 15 to 19K.

11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Yup.

'59 Les Pauls were going around $3500 in 1980. That would buy you a nice low mileage used car like a '79 Cutlass or a Camaro.

We Buy Guitars had a whole window full of custom color refin pre- CBS Stratocasters in the early '80s I used to go over there on my lunch hour and drool a puddle. Two grand would buy any one of them. Most of them were just over a grand.

Telecasters were less popular in NYC. They weren't "rock 'n' roll" guitars.

I paid $300 for my (long gone) minty '66 Stratocaster in 1978.

12. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

IIRC the KayPro computers (if equipped) only had a 300 baud modem which means the search is going to be way slow (if it will even connect to a dial up service).

13. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

Could have been $4,800. Long time ago.

14. BeelzeBob

BeelzeBob TDPRI Member

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it. It looks like the Broadcaster doesn't work for my purposes and a 59 LP might. muchxs stated above that 59 LPs were going for $3500 in 1980. I might be able to make that work with a few changes in my plot. Does anyone disagree with that figure? I realize there are variables. Again, I appreciate the help. This isn't holding up my writing pace at all, no concern there.

15. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I was gonna say $1200.
    I was buying Juniors for $300 in 1977.

16. deytookerjaabs

A '59 in the early 80's for $3500 was a damn good deal.

Guitar trader '82 catalog (was kind of the price setter for the market with their mailing catalog) has regular '59's $7500 and "highly figured" 'bursts at $9,000. By the end of the 90's they were $50,000 and today, well, lol.

17. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Hmm that would only work if you had a phone line...

18. Masterbuilt

Masterbuilt Tele-Holic

My 1998 copy of the Vintage Guitar Price Guide has a Broadcaster valued at $16000 (low) and $20000 (high)

19. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I bought a new Tele in 1973, with case, for $275. I worked at a guitar shop selling them, and few were seeking vintage Tele's at that time. A new LP Standard was $549 and a Martin D35 about $795. So, say the Broadcaster was approx $750-800...nobody can prove you wrong, as it is likely regionaly dependent anyway.

20. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

Can you make it a famous guitar (with some cool provenance) to bump your value up?

Let us know when you publish the book. Sounds like fun!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.