What was a Broadcaster worth in 1980?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by BeelzeBob, Nov 1, 2019.

1. BeelzeBob

BeelzeBob TDPRI Member

Hey folks,

I'm writing a novel, it's part of November Novel Writing Month. I'm sure it won't go far, it's very tough to get printed, but I want to do a good job nonetheless. One of my plot devices is that a character gets hold of a mint Broadcaster and finds out what it's worth. I've tried to look online, but I can't get a reliable figure. Does anyone know what it would be worth mint in 1980 and/or 1985? I realize finding a strong buyer has much to do with what the guitar would go for, but there must be someone who can come up with a good range. Thanks for any help with this, I appreciate it

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

At that time there was definitely a vintage movement - Hendrix mentioned it in a biography I have from around 1970 - but it was worth a fraction of today's value. A 58/59 Les Paul was still under $10k IIRC.

I'd say sold prices of Broadcasters were much lower. Tele Standards in 1980 were well.out of fashion they could hang on the wall at a dealer for a while- people like Bob Weir and Randy Rhoads were busy popularising new names like Ibanez and Jackson. And Mighty Mite and Schechter were Hot.

The boom started in around 85, I'd say. It still took a few years for any guitars to hit 5, then 6 figures. There will be guys here who know better than me.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  3. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

They were in the $4k range if memory serves. There was an article in one of the musician magazines of that era in which they interviewed Stephen Stills and he mentioned that they were getting impossible to find and he had bought one years earlier. This was around 78-81.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

You are going to be needing to look that up on the interwebs but you will have to do it on one of these
    kayproii.jpg

5. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Actually I see your problem, when you do try to look it up you get overwhelmed by the current value of things, no one seems to reference past value at all.

6. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

My roommate had one of those!

7. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

My friends father had one at his business, it was portable and Geoff would bring it home and use it to catalog his albums, he had quite a few.
    It weighed a ton and had a 6" screen, we thought it was about the coolest thing ever.

2 Headed Goat and Jupiter like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I'm guessing they were went for around 1 to 2k back then.
    I used to play and drool over a 62 fiesta red strat in 1985 and that was priced in a store for about $3k. The store was pricey and in Australia where everything costs more.

radiocaster likes this.
  9. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Another post with no answer....sorry.

When I finally watched the sequel to "Back to the future" 15 years after it came out.... The one where Marty takes a sports almanac back, so he can make big money betting (IIRC)

I instantly fantasized about going back in time, and buying hundreds of telecasters, strats and Les Pauls that didn't suffer the chisel/router fate from an idiot (like myself) who NEEDED a Khaler/Floyd Rose. :p

Obviously, the sports almanac was a far better idea.

Skamania likes this.
  10. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m sure that @nacho, author of The Blackguard Book could help.

His fascination with early Blackguards started then and he was studying and working in the USA when he bought his first Broadcaster.

Send him a DM or an email.

:) Peter

drf64 likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

1980 wasn't that long ago, i'm sure someone here either bought or sold a broadcaster back then, knows someone who did or can remember the going price for one.

12. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

I had one in 1974.

$200.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I can't help on the guitar pricing back then, but as for the book. Get it written and edited and forget about trying to push it around at the traditional publishers, it's worse than getting 'a record deal'. It will shuffle through slush piles for a couple of years, if it does get picked up they take nearly two years for it to get on the street, you need to do the marketing, and they pay a 15% royalty. Or you self publish, have it live for sale in twenty four hours, still need to do your marketing, and get 70% royalty. I've known a few that, while writing more than one book in eighteen months, within that eighteen months they sold a million books at that 70% royalty. Someone in the traditional publisher were still waiting for their book to come out. Then the publishers are chasing them and they ask 'why do I need you?'. They are outliers but that's the path that can happen.

The where, both ebooks and on-demand printed physical copies
    https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/&tag=tdpri-20
    The how
    https://www.kboards.com/index.php?board=60.0

Oh, don't use any lyrics or popular song references, that creates problems in publishing. Have the characters make their own content up.
    Cover imagess and fonts are very important.

Good luck with the writing NaNoWriMo.

tintag27 likes this.
  14. BeelzeBob

BeelzeBob TDPRI Member

2-4K? Oh, boy, that's not going to work at all. I need this Broadcaster to be worth 30K at least. Would 1990 or 1995 work? Adjusting for inflation makes it a little tricky. It's not central to the plot, but being a guitar fan, I want to work it in.

And thanks jvin248 for the info and links. I have a friend who got some Who lyrics printed in one of his stories, but it took six months of his publisher (Doubleday) asking to get it done. As much as I would like to reference songs, I'm staying away.

15. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I remember passing on a 56 Telecaster for 800 in 1982, but it was a good deal. It seemed like a real Broadcaster was in the $1.5-2k range due to its rarity. 50's Strats & 58-60 Les Paul Standard were the collectible guitars of that time. You could buy a 59 LP Standard for $7-10k in those days. Mid 50's Strat was about $3-5k if in mint condition. I bought a mint 63 Jazzmaster & 64 SG Standard for little less that same day. Long since sold those guitars.

16. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

In 1980 Frank Lucido had a ‘58 ES 335 for $2,500. I almost bought it. He showed me his ‘59 Les Paul Standard. It had the most tiger striped top in Red I had ever seen. He said it was worth $48,000.

Skamania likes this.
  17. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

This is reasonable

I think it depends on where the character in the book finds it I’m sure it wouldn’t have been unreasonable to find a broadcaster in a pawnshop for a couple hundred bucks or less in 1980 now if it was a budding vintage seller then I could see it easily being 1000 and up

Also depends on part of the country

18. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I wasn’t around then but I heard of 63 jazzmasters for 300 and same period jaguars for 200 or so

Although in a time when no one wanted them

Do you remember what you paid for the jazz?

radiocaster likes this.
  19. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I was actually offered one for 2,000 pounds around that time, never actually saw the guitar, standard Tele's were going for about 250.

20. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

4K is probably too high for the 80s except at specialty shops in LA, NYC, London, etc.

$30K in the 90s? :lol:

Actually that might work if it was played by Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.