What vintage american muscle car had good handling?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My current minivan would run circles around my '68 396 SS Camaro, that 700 pound big block hanging out in front did not make for a well balanced chassis.

I saw a '64 Chevelle with a LS3 engine (415 pounds of aluminum goodness!) , tubular control arms, adjustable rear suspension, big brakes all around, a bit of negative camber on the front rims- he was tearing up an autocross course with wreckless abandon!!

I like '64 Chevelles!! :)

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Ha yeah, SCCA had classes for everything. My brother-in-law who raced 240Zs (owned a few track records too) got to share driving of a Datsun B210 for a 6 hour endurance race. Kind of a slow motion demolition derby at Sears Point. I did get to watch David Hobbs demo a brand new stock BMW 600 series (I think back in the 70s) during a lunch break at Laguna Seca. If you can drive well, you can really push a car through turns.

3. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

4. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ OK, it was built by Lola in England with right hand steering, but it wouldn't have happened without Henry Ford, and it's later successes came only after the involvement of Carroll Shelby. A true legend and streets ahead of anything else being sold as a muscle car.

5. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

Junior.

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I used to drive an Austin Healey Sprite- that was fun fun fun, handled like a go cart. I loved power sliding in corners.

7. BobRob

BobRob Tele-Meister

Looks like some handled ok for the drivers who knew what they were doing.
    I doubt those bias ply tires of the time helped the handling any.

8. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

The C2 is arguably a timeless classic. I know many people think so. I'm glad I got to experience one as an owner. My car had a rare factory trait... it was a radio delete car. That's right... no radio! A true enthusiasts car. Very few were made with no radio.

[​IMG]

Here's the other weird thing... It has a '63 dash cluster but is an honest '64 production car and I bought it from the original owner that had not modified anything. Guys on the Corvette Forum cannot explain this oddity.

Anyway, pure greatness.

9. 64Strat

Here's the last vintage pony car / muscle car I owned... nothing special. 383 Magnum, pistol grip 4 spd car.... 1 of 86 made with it's options. Fun car! Got lots of looks when I took it out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

None of them...

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My last V8...not fast and handled like a pig...but at least it used lots of gas.

Attached Files:

12. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

LOL

13. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

I've ridden/raced motorcycles my whole life off and on. I used to believe the same stop light to stop light message. Then I actually rode my buddies in line 4. Subsequently sold my souped up v-twins and bought several variances and hit the road courses. I can tell you that there is no way a high torqued PRODUCTION v-twin can outpace a PRODUCTION 600 cc or higher inline 4 between stop lights. The 4 gets to its powerband in no time.

Drag bike looks cool BTW.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I've run twins, fours, and even a thumper. I agree that getting into the powerband of a modern crotch rocket is quite easy to do. Those suckers are quick. If you want more torque, go for more displacement.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed my thumper-- a Suzuki DRZ400, all modded and kitted out. So much fun. Kind of like guitars, you can get all geeky about the numbers and the stats and the specs, but at the end of the day just play and ride whatever makes you feel good....and that you can afford. For me, any kind of medium weight "standard" bike makes me pretty happy-- comfortable, ride all day position, works good in traffic, accelerates just fine and cruises just fine. The lighter, the better, as long as it doesn't get blown around in the wind. My wife talked me out of motorcycles for now, but if I were to buy one I'd take a hard look at the Kawasaki Versys 650 as meeting all of my needs. It's an in-line twin....standard ride. https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2016-Versys-650-LT The Suzuki SV650 is also a pretty sweet all-around bike, in my opinion. That's a V-twin, actually.

15. 64Strat

I dunno... we race v-twins, so "souping" them up is second nature. I've got one 114" v-twin in a scratch built bike, that dynos near 150hp and 140 some lb-ft of torque and it is in a 580 lb bike. It just wrecks the egos of proud metric bike owners routinely.... and most anything with 4 wheels. It runs in the 9's at the strip.

My daily driver is a 117" twin making 135hp and 135 lb-ft of torque in a Heritage Softail that weighs 680 lbs. From stop light, to stop light... it has never lost a battle.

The little drag bike in that previous picture runs 8.50's in the 1/4 mile at 160 mph with 120" v-twin.

Here's the bigger one... it's a twin supercharger 140" motor that runs on alcohol. It makes 800hp. We don't mess around.

[​IMG]

16. greytop

greytop Tele-Holic

Stock 2005 Kawasaki (pc3 and exhaust) zx10 1/8 mile 6.01 @ 121 MPH. 1/4 mile 9.32 @ 149 mph

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1455149594.825385.jpg a Amx

18. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Yup.

There were a couple of those in our family.

Also a Javelin or two.

They were available with "rally" parts...quick ratio steering and bigger sway bars. They snaked around pretty well.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A lot closer to good handling than so many other ones.

But the decisionmakers were also concerned about a smooth ride and no surprises massive understeer. They wanted the vehicle to be familiar enough it wouldn't scare your older sister if you needed to loan the car to her. Or scare your mom.

This AMX had a short enough wheelbase it would rotate when you needed it to rotate. That was the issue on so many of these Skylark, Charger, Cutlass and Satellite based muscle cars ( and the Javelin it was based on ). These others had wheelbases not really shorter than a full sized base model Plymouth, Ford or Pontiac.

20. 64Strat

Nice! always amazing what a tune and a correct pipe will do.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.