What vintage american muscle car had good handling?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Feb 9, 2016.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm guessing that you're talking about Corvettes. They are definitely not muscle cars. They are sports cars. You can't compare a Corvette to even a current Challenger, let alone a true muscle car like a '69 GTX.

2. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Hey all I can say is that I sure am glad to have grown up with them bad handling, loud buckets of bolts.

Let's see for around $3,000.00 ( $20,000 in today's dollars ) you could have gotten a '67 GTO that would get you any date in the school, scare the crap out of your mom, and put a smile on your ol'man's face.

Of course today for $50,000 you can get a new Mustang in which even my dear old mom could turn better times in them my GTO or for 80,000+ you can bag a new Z06 Corvette. ( Clearly a world class super car, but not a Muscle Car )

Nope, I like my truck..........

3. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

You are ****ing full of ****. A tricked out Corvette from that era would leave them all in the dust.

4. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

So you don't agree then?

Classy.

5. August_West

August_West Tele-Meister

Anyone that thinks a Vette isn't a muscle car is a ****ing idiot. So yeah, I guess you can call me ****ing classy.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think if you just stop and realize that "Corvettes are NOT muscle cars" you'll be able to read Kel's last sentence in the proper context...

Corvette is a sports car...period.

7. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

I wasn't, just thought that your inability to talk amicably with fellow Tele lovers about cars without insulting their mental capacity, lacked class.

8. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Found this on a google:
    "The Corvette was never marketed as a muscle car. A muscle car is generally a midsized sedan with perverted levels of hp and torque.
    Being a 2 seater, it doesnt qualify. It does qualify as a sports car."

9. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

You're taking me just a bit out of context here Boris. What I said was (and you omitted that part), is that I've owned many of these cars through their evolution from the 60's to today, even the really crappy mid 70's to late 80's ones...I refused to give in, remaining optimistic in that surely they had to get better.

I also said that that most of the '60's and early '70's versions with big motors and bad brakes contributed to the conception that none of them would handle well and those didn't. There were a few that did a reasonable job of it though, for the day, and I mentioned a few that I had experience with.

As for the newest Challenger...Yes, it is BASED upon the somewhat dated LX chassis but is far from a 300 coupe. It's shortened with updated steering geometry along with larger diameter front and rear anti-sway bars and performance springs and shocks.

This from Autoweek Magazine referring to a Challenger track test..."Once you find a corner, it’s like swinging a sledge hammer: let the tool do the work. At its best, this a muscle machine that, unlike the newest pony cars from Ford and Chevrolet, doesn’t even pretend to look too far forward. I’m okay with that." I take this to mean that handling is at least racetrack adequate.

The Camaro ZR/1 is the best of the current crop on the racetrack followed by the Mustang Shelby Super Snake. Neither of these can touch the Challenger Hellcat in the quarter though so not much has changed in that regard over the last 45 or so years.

You said I was mistaken (as I often am) but you neglected to say what I am:D mistaken about...

10. Tele-Caster

Tele-Caster Tele-Holic

I reckon I'm an idiot, then. I don't and never did think of the '71 LT-1 Corvette I formerly owned as a "muscle car." Being powered with a smallblock making 330 S.A.E. net hp, it wasn't all that muscular compared to other American cars of the era, or even the current crop of "pony cars" being made today.

11. kelnet

I simply said that they shouldn't be compared to each other. Of course a Corvette would leave them in the dust. It's a high-performance sports car.

However, it's not a muscle car, and all the insults you can type will not make it one.

12. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

By definition, a muscle car is a midsize car with a fullsize car's engine. For example, Pontiac put a 389 from their big cars in a Tempest and called it a GTO.

Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Barracudas, Challengers (pony cars), Corvettes, Cobras (sportscars), etc... were not "muscle cars".

It's a waste of time to argue this definition 40-50 years later.

13. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

My Datsun 1200 was pretty macho back in the day.

14. kelnet

Well, the difference between Challengers and Chargers, Camaros and Chevelles has blurred over the years, but Corvette, Cobras, and Sunbeam Tigers have never been called muscle cars, except for maybe one guy.

The term "pony cars" sounds a bit wimpy, and so it sounds better to call them all "muscle cars."

15. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I cruised that forum for a couple of days. Not sure if one of them is exactly my thing but it's tempting. It looks like the frames are kind of cut and paste. Figuring out the engine/trans mounts is something I have never done before so I imagine that would be tough. The rear end as well and suspention geometry up front might be tough. I imagine it's like anything else though. Take your time read as much as possibe get on the forum and don't be afraid to ask questions even before you take the leap of spending money and starting on one and figure out if it's something for you or not. Seemed like a great forum though. There are quite a few automotive forums that seem really great. I have been an active member or four or five different really good forums for a lot of different things. Some bad ones too. It's amazing now we have the internet and you find something your interested in. There are people out there that understand learning stuff comes difficult to guys lime me but put the time in there to help you out. Forums are the one of the best learning envoirments I have come across I wasn't good in school. Luckly one thing I did a lot of as a kid was read.

16. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

muscle car?

I don't recall using that term in those days. I wonder what a '66 Chevy II Nova 327/350HP would be classified as now.

I know what I called them back then - fast! Faster than my 396 Camaro, anyway...along with those pesky 427 Vettes, and one guy that had a TVR Griffith with a 289 in it.

Ahh, the occasional disappearing tail lights I got to see as we'd um...compete on the Berlin Turnpike back then.

The handling back then on some of those cars, with the straight axle/leaf spring combo and little suspension travel wasn't what we bought 'em for anyway, but the brakes? Nothing there at speed whatsoever. Lucky to be here now.

17. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    You may notice that somebody is on a vacation.

The rest of you keep a civil tongue in your mouth or you will be joining him.

IMPORTANT:Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult! No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Treat everybody with respect...always.

Got it?

:)

18. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

So if any car from back then that did handle good was a pony car or sports car and only the bad handling cars from that era are muscle cars then I guess ALL muscle cars handle badly. If that's your definition.
    So if you want a muscle car that handles get a pony or sports car :)

If you're looking to find a bargain probably look at an old mustang.

19. kelnet

I don't understand what you're saying. There were plenty of poor-handling cars in that era that weren't muscle cars. The average family sedan handled poorly. If there was actually a muscle car that did handle well, it would still be called a muscle car. However, as many people have said in this thread, there were no true muscle cars that handled well.

I simply said that sports cars are different from muscle cars. There are NO muscle cars that would be called a sports car.

The Cobra and Corvette are sports cars, not muscle cars. The Opel GT is a sports car. So are the Ferrari Dino, the Alfa Romeo Spider, the Triumph Spitfire, and the Jaguar XK150. None of them would be confused with a 1969 Dodge Charger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.