What vintage american muscle car had good handling?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by homesick345, Feb 9, 2016.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

And wasn't just a straight-line, one trick pony?

Even if it's just decent compared to others, still would like to know

Thanks!

2. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mustang Cobra 350/500 GTs?

3. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

None

4. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

None? Seriously, I can't think of any pre-1975 that had handling worth anything. My mothers Trans-Am (1976, 400 ci engine) couldn't handle for ******* but I got from downtown Minneapolis to the south side of Eau Claire WI in less than an hour once. That was what the car was good for - getting from one place to another in a mostly straight line. Anything I'd have had to steer more than to get around some slowpoke? Nope. Not gonna work.

5. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

I believe that most of Carroll Shelby's cars handled very well in comparison to their peers, as did Z/28 Carmaros.

6. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Let's face it, vintage American muscle car and good handling were mutually exclusive terms. But why is that bad? If you wanted good handling, you got a Lotus or a Ferrari (if you had the money). If you wanted fire-breathing heart-thumping insanity, you got a muscle car. Vive la difference!

7. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Having driven a Transam on UK roads for a while I can safely say the are huge powerful landcrabs.If some hard driving was needed and/or corner to turn we took the BMW CSL 3.0 or a Mini Cooper .The Transam sure had style and presence.A bit like Beyonce .

8. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Actually my old 68 charger was not bad. Would have been better with the Daytona wings :)

9. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Handling can vastly be improved by adding some newer technology parts and add ons if you can stand non-original parts on them.
    Camaros for instance have aftermarket pieces you can add to the front and rear suspension such as different control arms, sway bars and subframe connectors.
    Even radial tires can be a huge benefit. I never liked stock anyway.
    I had a '75 V8 Monza fastback that I added my own homemade subframe connectors to. I could jack up one corner with the old traditional bumper jack and the entire back end would lift level. That thing handled like it was a go cart riding on rails.
    I was a muscle car fan all through the seventies and raced 1/4 mile throughout that time with various cars. Those old cars were rickety and far too flexible and today, other than the wow factor, I hardly enjoy riding in one anymore.
    Some of the vettes handled pretty well for the time.
    We've come a long way.

10. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

My father (a gear head and racer) was always very fond of the cornering abilities of his 72 Pontiac LeMans GT Coupe, and so I would assume the GTO Judge would have handled similarly well.

11. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

A 1969 Ford Talladega cobra on a flatbed...

12. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Tele-Meister

None, really, at least by modern standards. Modern tires (in modern sizes) will help a lot, of course, Most can be made sort-of-okay with modern aftermarket parts and modifications. Some of those modifications will involve more than swapping out parts: Mopars typically need subframe connectors to stiffen them enough to be responsive, for instance (or a welded-in full rollcage, which will accomplish the same thing).

But even with suspension mods, a new V8 Camaro or Mustang will likely run rings around any of them.

13. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I had a basic '64 Alfa spyder, a stock '76 TR7 and an '83 TransAm with the WS6 suspension and Eagle GT tires. Both of the little 4 banger sports cars could run circles around the Pontiac in everything but straight line speed. There were/are no pony/muscle cars that had good handling, until the current generation of Camero and Mustang, which have mediocre handling due to now enjoying 21st century suspensions. Everything prior borrowed their suspensions from the Conestoga wagon.

14. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

There isn't one. Your going to have to do some serious mods then take into consideration of the real wheel drive front engine set up. Lighten the front and balance out the back.

If you really want a nice handling vehicle I would start with something else. Then again if you really like muscle cars. Buy one and design it to do what you want.

15. Pete Baker

Pete Baker Tele-Meister

The Oldsmobile 442 in the sixties came from the factory with a rear sway bar as well as a larger front sway bar. They also had a boxed frame and stiffer springs. In almost every comparison of the "new" models that I've read over the years in old car magazines, the 442 gets the best handling award. Not to be compared with modern car handling, apples and oranges.

16. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

THank you - this is awesome.... 442 is such a sexy car

What year is considered the "best", or cool?

17. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I had a 69 Corvette with the L88 427 and 69 Z28 Camaro and both handled pretty good.

I also had a 67 Camaro that I modified and it handled very good. It had urethane sway bar bushings, front sub frame and rear axle rubber mounts were replaced with aluminum spacers. Multi leaf rear springs and big block front coils with a coil cut off to lower it.

18. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

I've had most everything GM has had to offer and had thought my Z-28s and C3 Corvette handled well. I had been misinformed. Compared to what Germany was offering at the same time they handled and drove very poorly in comparison. I learned this after owning a torsion bar 911 and a BMW 2002. This is true even with the Vette having extensive suspension modification. It just didn't offer the feel of the German cars.

19. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

if you take a C2 Vette and put modern suspension components, wheels and tires on them... they handle okay! Just not like modern active handling systems, so you have to actually drive them. ;)

20. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

I was just going to mention watching classic car races at Road America...nothing more glorious than a 302 in either a Camaro or Mustang screaming at 6-7,000 RPMS out a corner.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.