What utility bag do you use?

dankilling

Tele-Afflicted
Ad Free Member
Another thread discussing disaster bag amps prompted this question- hoping this is the correct forum for it. What is your favorite utility bag to carry your gear in? Not talking gig bags for guitars or pedalboard bags, but the bag you carry random stuff in for gigs like DI boxes, spare cables, tools, spare tubes, etc……? I’m looking for a nice padded bag with adjustable compartments and a shoulder strap. What are you using to help your load in and disaster scenarios?

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I use to go through a bag a year it seemed like. I’d get some kind of athletic duffel bag type thing and the weight of the chords, mics, extra stuff would eat through it in a year or less. Then I bought a husky tool bag from Lowes or Home Depot. That had to be ten years ago and it’s still going strong. I don’t have too many “compartments”, but they make some like that. It gets a little heavy and at times becomes a rats nest inside with all the cables, but it works for me. Most of the stuff I use all the time stays on the top of the pile anyway and is easy enough to get access to. I prolly carry too much stuff in it anyway.

Harley Wycliff

TDPRI Member
Two leather overnight bags. I could probably get by with one if I didn't bring spares for everything and "solutions" for problems I might run across when I get there.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Any decent padded backpack from Goodwill generally has plenty of compartments etc. It'll usually run you three to five bucks. Most gigs I'm down to my combo amp, two guitars, and one backpack for pedals, cords, etc

SlimGrady

Tele-Meister
Bags never seemed to hold up to the abuse I put it through. So I got a Stanley rolling tool box and it is going on 10 years strong and looks brand new. (okay not brand new, but looks good)

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a Milwaukee Tool Bag that was given to by a Sales Rep about 20 years ago.
Holds a couple of small extension cords, several XRLS, Whatever Mics I need for the show ...
With my XLRs, i wind them individually then, I tie them together with some Parachute cord in a simple slip knot. Makes it a lot easier for me to manage.

Even if you don't drink or hate the stuff, Crown Royal Bags make excellent Mic Bags.

Cheers

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I just got this to replace one that my employer gave me about 20 years ago. The main pedalboard has it’s own bag but this has a few other pedals that get used sometimes.

image.jpg

ClashCityTele

Friend of Leo's
Bags fall apart.
I use an aluminium camera flight case. Take out the extra padding & fill it with junk.
Something like this.
81+JUAeSvOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have a small mic case that seems to carry all the misc also. The trouble with bags is you have to pull half the stuff out to find the other stuff!
I carry 4 mics and a ton of other stuff in this:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
A heavily-made hard bottom tool bag is what I've used for the last 20 years. They hold up far better than anything sold as a 'gig bag'.

I prefer a bag over a hard case because it is easy to toss into a trunk or back seat of a vehicle and there are no hard corners to damage anything in the vehicle's interior.

I also prefer this style of bag for use as a range bag because the junk sold as range bags blow out their seams and zippers over time under the weight of pistols and ammo.

andy__d

Tele-Meister
I used to have an old 80s gum bag which, for some reason, had a Gibson logo on it. I don’t recall exactly where I got it, it might have been a booth give away at the BMF one year, or something that one of the reps left at the shop where I worked. That was great - it was still going strong in 2007, when I moved here, and left it in my sister in law’s shed with a few cables and pedals in it. Which reminds me, I wonder if it’s still there?

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
A big ol’ black gym-type bag with three compartments.
Mics on one end, cables of all types in the middle, tuners, clips, straps, yada yada in the other end.
Perfect.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I use a large Samsonite hard plastic sided suitcase that has wheels and an extending handle for dragging it in. My Drummer's throne seat fits under the handle. Inside, there are a Mackie ProFX8 mixer, Roland GR30 guitar synth, Digitech Vocalist Live 3 harmonizer, one pistol case with three mics, and an extra stand light bulb, mic cables, guitar cables, a midi cable for the GR30 to guitar, and another pistol case that contains my emergency amp setup: Quilter Micro Interblock 45, Boss FDR1 pedal, cables, power sources for the pedals, and a 6-way power outlet to plug everything into, a folding guitar stand and the desk to my music stand. It's kinda heavy, but no more than my Vibrolux Reverb, so it's manageable.

bettyseldest

Friend of Leo's
Tools, adaptors, cable tester, spare di box, strings etc. All fit in a Studiospares case.
IMG_20221008_005226814.jpg
IMG_20221008_005120031.jpg

I have a couple of mike cases which each hold four mics, a drum hardware case for stands and cable reels for xlr cables. All of which are out, in use at the moment for a public enquiry dealing with a planning application in the village I used to live.