1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What US made practice amp to get for new American Strat?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by vonHalvarsson, Nov 29, 2008.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"Are any of you guys leftys that play right handed? If I got him a righty, it would def be the American Special Mahogany Strat HSS, but I just do not know if his right hand would have (or acquire) the dexterity needed to play well. I know I wouldn't like to play lefty, but maybe it would be easier to play weak handed when learning?"

i'm not left-handed so i'm not an expert, but it seems to me that learning to play the guitar is pretty difficult either way (not impossible or anything tho). if he's a rank beginner, it seems to me it would be just about as simple to learn right-handed. playing right-handed will make his future guitar-buying life alot simpler, for sure.

i don't want to be discouraging, but the kind of music he seems to be interested in, it's gonna be awhile (like, several years) before he can do much of that stuff.

2. vonHalvarsson

vonHalvarsson TDPRI Member

I figured that he'd be good within 6 months. When I was 17 it took me around 4 months to get good. He can read music and plays piano and trumpet now, so I think it will be easier than it was for me.

I decided to get him the Gibson SG Standard lefty, and nobody online or local has them in stock and they are not expected until next year. I also checked out the G-DEC, and it's pretty cool.

3. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

If he likes metal check out some of the Randall low end SS amps. They offer nice tight controlled distortion and clean channels as well as a MIDI (solidly built) foot switch for effects and boost control.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.