1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What type/ size drill press?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by danecho283, Aug 10, 2011.

1. danecho283

danecho283 Tele-Meister

Hey all what size drill press would you all recommend for drilling on tele bodies? I am trying to find a used one on craigslist but am not sure what the measurements represent. For example a 10 inch press seems tho have a pretty shallow throat, can you make the bridge/ string holes with a ten inch machine? I saw the mod to extend the depth of a small machine but would rather just buy an appropriate size in the first place. Thanks for any info.

2. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

If you stand by, I will measure the distance on my Tele from body edge to string holes.

The measurement of the drill press is the diameter swing, and is twice the distance from
    column to drill chuck center. So a 10" press can reach 5" in from the edge of a body.

3. acousticman1

acousticman1 Tele-Meister

15" is recommended but some guys can get 12" to work IIRC

4. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

5. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A 12 in. drill press will do any drilling you need to do in building a Telecaster. Home Depot has a Ryobi 12 in. for $179. Not a bad deal. Nothing smaller will reach the string through hole locations.

6. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

The string holes on mine measure about 5-1/4" from body edge. It would not make it
    on a 10" press.

A larger press has some advantages over a smaller press. Less vibration, which can be
    important if you are drilling holes freehand without clamps. Vibration causes the work
    to wander off center. They are also stronger than a smaller drill press with an extension.
    Probably not a problem when drilling wood, though.
    And the throat size or swing of course, and I notice that you already are aware of that.

7. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

8. megafiddle

megafiddle Former Member

You can also use a small drill press to make a drilling template. Use a hardwood block,
    about 1/2" or more, and drill the string holes in that. Then line the block up over the
    body and drill one hole on one end. Place a pin of the same size as hole through the
    the template and body to hold it in place and drill the other end hole. Place another pin
    in that hole to fix that end of the template in place. Then drill the inner holes. You can
    use similar size drill bits as pins.

Don't drill all the way through the body, only about half way. Just drill the two outer
    end holes through. You may actually be able to reach these two holes with a 10" drill
    press. But make sure they go through perfectly straight. Then move the template to
    the back of the body and pin it in place with the two outer holes. Drill the inner holes
    through to meet the holes already drilled from the top.

9. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

I have a 12' DELTA HOMECRAFT, its over 5 decades old and it is my baby. Works fine for my luthierie endeavours

10. oldsoultroy

oldsoultroy Tele-Meister

Put a good set of FORSTNER and BRAD POINT bits on your shopping list as well, if you dont own them already. They are the key to drill press/user happiness.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.