1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

What Type of Strings Do You Use on Your Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Jul 9, 2019.

What type of strings do you use on your tele?

1. Nickel wrap roundwounds

162 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Stainless steel wrap roundwounds

8 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Coated roundwounds

19 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Titanium/Unobtainaium

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  5. Flatwounds

12 vote(s)
    4.6%
  6. Half Rounds

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. Anything as long as it's heavy

4 vote(s)
    1.5%
  8. Cat gut

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. Whatever's on sale

8 vote(s)
    3.1%
  10. Whatever's most expensive (Dentists in a PRS 12-step program, check here)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I'm constantly changing string types

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. I'm supposed to change my strings?!

9 vote(s)
    3.5%
  13. Pure nickel

61 vote(s)
    23.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Diderot

Diderot TDPRI Member

I use GHS Boomers with a 10.5 E string. I like to bend a lot and the sound and feel of the E string are the most important characteristics I look for. I have tried many different brands and sizes of strings. I like 10s for their feel and 11s for their sound but find the 10.5s the best compromise. Lighter strings bend more easily but heavier stings have better tone. I suggest players try different strings till they find the best compromise that fits their playing style. The 10.5s work very well for playing Blues with a lot of Albert King style bending.

2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

TI flat 11's on one, Curt Mangan nickel 10s on the others

3. es125tcd

es125tcd TDPRI Member

Dr. Pure blues,9-42s...use em on my tele, Esquire. And L.P special. I also use them on my gender f240 flat top (my couch guitar in the living room....makes it feel almost like an electric...no loss in tone or volume on it...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. Devanatha

Devanatha Tele-Meister

Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing 12–50 (flatwounds). I use these on all my good guitars. They're expensive, but last a bit longer than most strings.

5. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Slinky or D’Addario 11’s 52 AVRI

I always substitute a 17g for the 18g for smooth G String bends

All my other guitars get 10’s the LP types get the 17g dropped to 16g primarily for G string tuning stability

6. mflemmer2

mflemmer2 TDPRI Member

Pyramid Pure Nickel Classics, 10-46 (except the D string in .028 rather than .026). Besides these being round core with nickel on the wound strings, the plain strings are silver plated rather than the more common tin. This mellows them out and sweetens their tone a bit. Generally plain strings are the same regardless of what the wound strings are in a set. I won't use anything else on my Tele, Strat, or Les Paul (which has very open & bright PAF style buckers from Wolfetone).

7. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

I almost always use d'Addario 10 - 46. Why? Well, because they've always worked for me. But there's another reason. Many of you will remember the "player points" on the string packages. When you got enough points, you sent them in to claim a prize. I wanted the hardwood stool with the d'Addario logo painted on top, but it took a lot of points. Then the company announced they were ending the program. I contacted them and they said "send in what you have". I only had about 3/4 of the necessary points, but they sent me the stool anyway. Because of that, I will continue to use their products...

RoCkstAr256 and MattMrdck like this.
  8. TRI52

TRI52 TDPRI Member

I use D'Addario's 125 XL, but I change the gauge of my B, G, D, to a lighter gauge for less resistance for bending capabilities. It helps me make smoother transitions between chords, and fills since I am only guitarist on stage. My finger strength is just not the same as it was in my 20's & 30'.

9. Quacky

Quacky Tele-Meister

Got to agree I'm using a Stringjoy set of 8's on my Firebird and I love em had to adjust the pickup height a little to increase sustain but totally love the feel.

10. 1stpitch

1stpitch TDPRI Member

I'm finding that I like LIGHT strings.

upload_2019-7-25_17-32-56.png

Lashdog likes this.
  11. TRI52

TRI52 TDPRI Member

My current string set is 9 10 14 24 36 46. I find that for G bends 14 and 24 make a huge different's. Also for B bending a whole step up its easier to maintain pitch while hold down your E string for country licks. I admit you need to develop a lighter touch for the lighter gauge, but the benefits out way that by far.

12. TRI52

TRI52 TDPRI Member

I use 8's on my 12 string, it is effortless to play chords in tune.

13. jamesr

jamesr TDPRI Member

Ernie Ball 10-52. I think they call them "skinny top heavy bottom". I put them on all my electrics, except for a semi-hollow that has flat wounds on it.

14. East Coast Rick

East Coast Rick TDPRI Member

I dig these NYXL strings - I use 10-46 on my Tele and 10-52 on my SG.

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 12.19.48 PM.png

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  15. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

A few years ago I sent in a bunch of the upc codes cut off of the packages, got a reply that you have to send the whole envelope.
    ???
    Did you send the envelopes? That seems silly. They could see I bought all the strings. Oh man. I didn't get jack from them.
    Still buy their strings occasionally, but I was a bit disappointed in their service toward a customer who's bought hundreds of sets over decades.

16. Minggo

Minggo TDPRI Member

On my Tele , I use XL D'Addario 52-10. The extra size of the 6th string brings out a bit more signal thus twang and is not hidden amongst the rest of the full chord. I remove the 1st E and sub with a 9.5. Move the other strings up. Installed a Hip Shot B Bender with drop D and G bender which is seldom used. (G bender that is). Tele1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  17. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I like that set, 12-50, for flat wound. I used to take a set like that and beef up the plain strings, so I'd end up with 13, 17, 24, 30, 40, 50. IMO, you don't need really heavy bass strings in flat wound, they sound about the same as medium gauge. Also, you don't have to widen the A and E slots in your nut.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  18. Minggo

Minggo TDPRI Member

I use the Flat Wounds with a beefier 1-3rd string and an unwound G on my Jazzmaster for Surf sounds and Gretsch 6120. Lends well to Rockabilly and Country Chet Atkins picking. I seem to fumble my fingers on lighter gauges strings which seem to stick to my fingers more than a good tight larger gauge. My $.02

19. Hellmark

Hellmark Tele-Holic

Flatwraps for me. D'Addario Chromes XL Extra Light (10-48). They tend to last me way longer than any round wound strings I've ever used.

20. CC53

CC53 TDPRI Member

They also seem to bend a little easier.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.