What Type of Strings Do You Use on Your Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Jul 9, 2019.

What type of strings do you use on your tele?

1. Nickel wrap roundwounds

97 vote(s)
    66.4%
  2. Stainless steel wrap roundwounds

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Coated roundwounds

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
  4. Titanium/Unobtainaium

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Flatwounds

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. Half Rounds

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  7. Anything as long as it's heavy

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  8. Cat gut

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. Whatever's on sale

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. Whatever's most expensive (Dentists in a PRS 12-step program, check here)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. I'm constantly changing string types

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  12. I'm supposed to change my strings?!

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  13. Pure nickel

29 vote(s)
    19.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

D'addario NYXLs- 11s on a conversion scale tele, 10-46 on everything else, Gibson Brite Wires on Gretsch ProJet. The NYXLs easily last 3-4x as long as regular Xls and the higher carbon steel has a little more zing in it. I also like the way they bend better.

2. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

At the moment have multiple ten packs of GHS Boomers (10-46) so playing those strings. Rotate between them, D'Addario Nickel Wound and Ernie Ball Slinky.

3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

thanks for the pic.a guitar a got last year. forgot to ask the guy what strings are on it..it plays great & want to keep it the same.remember the pack he had now..the orange pack soon as i saw the pic.now i can restring it ..thanks

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Glad it jogged your memory. I go by the color and look of the pack when buying too, it's easy to forget the letters and numbers without the pic reference..

bftfender likes this.
  5. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Black Diamond coated nickel wound 10s & 11s

6. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

The nickel-wound set from webstrings.com suits me just fine. 10s on the Teles, 11s on the Les Paul.

7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I switched back to Ernie Balls about two years ago.

I switched to 11s on my Tele to correct some issues, and found that once I got used to them, I really like them.

I like a bright string; I tried stainless on my Strat, and found them a bit too bright, so I stick with nickel wrapped rounds.

8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

I'm confused. You mean there are brands and types of strings other than D'Addario 10s? OMG mind blown. Not that it matters, though, since I won't ever be using anything other than D'Addario 10s.

Stiles, Frodebro and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. nick.s

nick.s Tele-Meister

10-52 from D'Addario I buy them in 10-Packs. I used to play TNT's from GHS but D'Addarios are just fine and cheaper...

10. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

1. SIT Power Groove Pure Nickel
    2. 9-42
    3. Rock, country, blues, pop
    4. Tone, baby
    5. Guitar shows, Internet

11. chrislhanley

chrislhanley NEW MEMBER!

Fender 250r ,10s but i might try ernie ball 10s soon, everyone seems to use those

12. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

As a PRS owner/player who isn't a dentist I resent the "Whatever's most expensive (Dentists in a PRS 12-step program, check here)" option! ;)

El Tele Lobo, Ron R and claes like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I switched to 9.5s soon after buying my tele about 7 years ago, based upon what I read here on TDPRI and never looked back. It is the only guitar that I have with half size strings. 10s on my strat and Sheraton II. I played 9s on my LPish guitar that I sold recently. I settled on coated strings 10 or 12 years ago. Coming from surf guitar days, I have bright sounding guitars and started doing everything to warm their sounds from EQ to different pickups. I think the coated strings help that. My philosophy is that it is easier to warm up a bright sound, but difficult to achieve good articulation from a dark sound. I come from loving the bright Fender amp cleans, so that is part of my challenge. FWIW.

1 person likes this.
  14. Paul45

Paul45 Tele-Meister

After using 9's and 10's since forever, I'm now finding I really like Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (11-48). I don't know what it is, but they seem to make me play better and more precisely. Weird.

8trackmind likes this.
  15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Slinky 10s

16. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Meister

Elixir Optiweb 10-46. Perfect sound, they can be played for months and feel like any other non-wound string.

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Like quite a few others here, I use D'Addario strings, specifically their EXL110s. So, the brand is D'Addario, the type is round wound nickel plated steel, the gauge is light (.010-.046). I play a variety of musical styles: Classic Country, some new Country; Rockabilly/'50s rock; Classic Rock, '60s & '70s; jazz/pop standards; some blues.

I've only played electric guitar (teles, almost exclusively) for eleven years, and in that time I've used the D'Addarios almost exclusively. (There was at least one time when the local GC had a sale on Dunlop strings and so I bought a set of those. No complaints about them, but that didn't change me from D'Addarios.)

That fact pretty much disqualifies me from answering the "versus other strings" question. But since I hardly ever let being unqualified stop me from expressing my opinion :twisted:, I like the quality and consistency of the D'Addario brand. They're always consistently good. They last a long time, even though they're not coated or treated or whatever. In fact, when I started playing the EXL 110s on my teles, I assumed that I would change them as often as I do the round wound phosphor bronze strings on my acoustics. It took me a while to realize that I didn't need to do that.

And there's nothing unusual about the brand or particular set, so I buy them wherever, but mostly at the local GC when they're on sale. Through the years, these strings have been offered at sale prices on 3, 5, 10 & 12 packs, and the price of these package deals often meant the price per set was as low as $3. So I'd stock up. Now I've got a surplus on hand, and even though I use them on a half dozen guitars, because each set lasts for months, I'm probably good through 2020, at least.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

18. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Nickel round wound D'Adarrio XL 10's with a wound third string.
    Tried a new set of 9's on my new MIM Tele since that what it came with but didn't like either the sound or feel. Too light.

19. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

8trackmind likes this.
  20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

See post 27...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.