What type of strings do you have on your telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Injam, Sep 11, 2020.

1. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Thoman 10's, €1.10 a packet and I can tell no difference from the D'adds I used to use, and can change them at will at that price, but they last about a month.

2. turfdoc

turfdoc TDPRI Member

I
    I use the Fender Voodoo Child strings on both my tele and strat now; best sounds and playability Ive ever had....been playing 50+ years.

3. tribalogical

tribalogical NEW MEMBER!

I use stock 10 ~ 46 gauge, which I think is just called 'light' gauge? I love that range, and had my Tele set up for those specifically. I like the overall balance of tone, playability, etc.

I'd been using D'Addario NYXL strings almost exclusively for a few years. Then a friend turned me on to Stringjoy, a small indy string maker out of Nashville. I've tried a few sets of theirs, and so far I'm completely convinced. Not as 'smooth' in tone as the NYXL (some might even say 'flat'), they have a distinctly chunky, snappier tone in the unwound high strings. They are pure nickel wound and steel, so a distinct character. Great for the Tele! They also last easily as long as the long-lived NYXLs, with no loss of intonation, etc.

Here's their homepage. I'm not affiliated, just a fan... https://www.stringjoy.com

If you like a cleaner blues tone, where your grit comes from driving the pickup coils rather than overdriving your preamp or adding FX, then these are probably perfect. They really accommodate that kind of tone. Especially with my hotter, overwound Twisted Tele and Broadcaster pickups.

I adjusted my pickups so the high posts were lowered a tad, to balance out the heat from the higher strings. However, there are some styles of playing where those hotter high strings vs the thumping low strings would be a benefit. I went with balancing them, and love the result.

Here's a link to a brief, guitar-forward clip of a riff I played on those strings (from a demo mix, for context). Clean, no FX, just driving the pickups hot through a basic preamp. I'm using my thumbnail as my pick, so could maybe get a bit more bite or twang using a plectrum.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymv5qyomflp8nf6/GUD - Guitar 01 + MIX (Clean).mp3?dl=0

Here's an image of the specific set I'm using from Stringjoy. They have a few different options. They call these "Broadways".

upload_2020-9-15_9-20-32.jpeg

Worth a look! :)

4. oregomike

oregomike TDPRI Member

I've seemed to settle in D'Addario strings for all my guitars and bass. Specifially, for my tele, the NYXL's. Couldn't tell you the numbers, but they're in the med. category.

Mike

tribalogical likes this.
  5. GlasgowCraig

GlasgowCraig NEW MEMBER!

Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 10-46.

6. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

C9EAD5EA-CC14-4663-B017-CED208B75A43.jpeg I’ve literally tried about everything out there at least twice :confused: However, I’ve found that these work the best for me. To each his own, you just gotta find what suits you. If everyone liked vanilla, there wouldn’t be chocolate :)

Audiotrove and tribalogical like this.
  7. mandolingrass

mandolingrass NEW MEMBER!

D'addarios 10-52.

8. Liggett Guitars

Liggett Guitars TDPRI Member Vendor Member

I like these a lot, I’ve been using them almost exclusively. I’ll do the NYXL’s occasionally

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  9. givemebackmywig

givemebackmywig TDPRI Member

No going back for me since started using NYXL 11-52 on my Tele. Sounds bigger, brighter and strings stay in tune and last longer.

cosmiccowboy likes this.
  10. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

D’Addario 9-42

For most guitars I use 10's, but the Tele came with 9's and I thought I'd try those awhile. I like 'em, something different for me, and I think I get a bit more Tele 'snap' from the thinner strings.

Hearing more about the NYXL strings, I might have to try those.

11. Marblatx

Marblatx TDPRI Member

Slinkys 10s I tried 9s on my Squier but the top 3 strings sound dead so next time around I'm gonna try 9.5s just for the helluvit.

12. Terrytown

Terrytown TDPRI Member

I use D'Addario 10's on my Strats because I bend the lighter gauge out of tune when chording. On my Telecasters for years I have use D'Adario Nickle Plated 9's because of the sound and they last. I especially like them for bends and pedal steel sounds. If working on a project where I like to use more twang I use Ernie Ball super Slinky's on the Tele. The fresh sound only lasts a couple of days but its good.

TF

13. tabeck5

tabeck5 TDPRI Member

D'Addario Jazz Light Flatwound, great response on the low end.

14. Bean1871

Bean1871 TDPRI Member

EB Super Slinkys (9s)

15. Pooch

Pooch NEW MEMBER!

D'Addario EXL110's 10-46 on all the Tele's. I buy these in the bulk 25 set box, which brings the cost down to about $2.50 a set. Great strings. Very consistent. Great sound and feel.

upload_2020-9-15_10-16-55.png

16. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

They sound fine but to my ears they make the overall EQ difficult to manage.

17. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42 with wound third (w018)

18. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I use Ernie Ball Ultra Slinky 10-48 on both my tele's.

19. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

GHS Boomers 10-46 on my Teles and Strats.

GHS Boomer TNT 10-52 on my Gibson scale (24.75) guitars.

Been using Boomers for years. Love 'em.

20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

D'addario 10-46 on everything

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.