What type of strings do you have on your telecaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Injam, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I usually buy 4-5 sets at a time, so only twice since lockdown, but I've had no issue getting my DRs from Sweetwater. With the bonus of bit o honey

Lockback likes this.
  2. beachbreak

beachbreak Tele-Meister

Fender Super 250, 9s

3. Tall-Fir

Tall-Fir Tele-Meister

I also use D’Addario EXL120+. 9.5 to 44. I have also used ghs boomers 9.5 to 44. I believe they are a fine set of strings also.

4. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I like em bendy. I have low action and D’Addario 8 1/2’s on one and Ernie Ball 9’s on another.

5. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

After years of 13's and 12's ive settled in to my 09's years. Though I'm curious to try 08's sometime just to piss off 13 year old me.

Fretting out likes this.
  6. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

Ernie Ball 9's.

albatros likes this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

D’Addario jazz light gauge 12-52 wound G

I don’t play jazz

Started using these a couple years after I started to play and haven’t looked back

now I can’t really play anything lighter without changing technique

Whenever I play guitars in stores it sounds horribly out of tune because the tension is all off

8. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

i use 11's mostly dadario nickel wound. but if i found something reliable in the same price i go for it.might me some ghs or gibsons or ernies

9. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

midnight340, GlasgowCraig and Antoon like this.
  10. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I use Elixir Nanoweb 9-42 on all my electrics and Elixir Nanoweb 80-20 12-53 on acoustics. I used to have very caustic sweat which killed uncoated strings in days. Elixirs were therefore a godsend for me and I have used them exclusively since they were first available here some 20+ years ago. They can stay fresh-sounding for months and I only change them when the coating on the wound strings begins to fray, or they become stretched from much bending and lose their intonation.

11. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

12. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

Flat wounds cos i dont like squeak and am too lazy too lift my hand of the board

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. JWH7

JWH7 TDPRI Member

I use GHS Boomers 9 - 42.

14. UPtele

UPtele Tele-Meister

I been using Darco 9s. They are cheap and can't find anything wrong with them. Just picked up 12 more sets last week

15. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Ernie Ball Slinkys or Super Slinkys, depending on the guitar, Supers are on my Tele. I find EBs to be reliable and affordable, and easily available, works for me

albatros likes this.
  16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I use Ernie Ball 9s, I buy them twelve packs at a time from amazon. usually change them once a year, my hands don't sweat so they don't go dead real easy.

albatros likes this.
  17. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Hmmm, don't think I can resist...will have to try...

Check out Live at Daryl's House videos, here is an episode with Billy Gibbons.
    I know everyone knows he uses rather light strings, but, he talks about his strings at about 39:00...

Gearfest 2020, he talks about his strings at 11:00

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  18. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

No surprise, but there are many D'Addario users here, and I've lost count in this thread of how many specifically use EXL110s (nickel wound, .010-.046). This is what I string my electrics with. As @brookdalebill and @Greggorios have said, the quality of these strings is wonderfully consistent.

And for me, they last a long time. I came to playing electric guitar after 40 years of playing acoustic, and I changed those strings (D'Addario EJ16 phosphor bronze .012-.053) every month or so. In 2008, when I bought my first electric guitar (tele), I thought I'd have to change strings just as often. Over time, I learned that they last for months and months.

I've thought about trying the NYXLs, but really I have no tuning issues with the EXL110s, no string breakage, and like I said, no issues with a short lifespan. Plus over the years, when I've bought them, I've bought bulk packs: 3, 5, 10 and 12 packs.

Which leads me to answering an earlier question by @rstaaf about where I buy strings. Because I typically buy those bulk packs, I almost always have a good supply in stock. There are two guitar stores I shop at in town: a GC; and Clawsons Music, which I prefer to do business with if I can, since it's a locally owned mom & pop store that's been around for more than half a century.

But Clawson's doesn't always have the supply of strings I'm looking for or the sales on them. Guitar Center, OTOH, has typically been well stocked with the D'Addario sets I use, and they often have them on sale. GC takes advantage of every possible holiday to do "sales": the big ones of course, but also President's Day, Flag Day, Ground Hog Day, St. Swithin's Day, Festivus, you name it. :twisted:

And consistently through the years they've had their multi-packs of D'Addario strings on sale, typically the EJ16s for acoustic and the EXL110s for electric. I've always bought a bulk pack or two (or three) when they have these sales. So, most consistently I've bought from GC.

All that said, I'm all out of one particular set: D'Addario EJ26 (phosphor bronze .011-.052). I use these on my acoustic/electric tele, which is set up for 11s. This is my go-to gigging acoustic/electric, and I've got a gig this coming Friday. So come Monday, for the first time in 6 months, I'll go by Clawson's and see if they have them in stock. I've bought the EJ26s from Clawson's before, but they don't always have them. I've bought the EXP26s (the coated counterpart to the EJ26s), but if they don't have either, I'll go to GC. And if they don't have them in stock, then I'll use one of my other acoustic/electric guitars for the gig, which I string with EJ16s. I've still got plenty of those.

I have also ordered strings from Sweetwater in the past. They sometimes have the strings I need on sale. But with just 6 days until my gig, I don't want to buy online. I don't want to risk the strings not arriving in time, and it doesn't make much sense to pay for expedited shipping for strings.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    rstaaf, brookdalebill and Greggorios like this.
  19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

GHS Boomers 11’s or 12’s initially (late 80’s to mid 90’s)...

Then D’Addario 10’s or 11’s from the late 90’s to the early 10’s....

Moved down to 9’s or 10’s in early 10’s

Now I mostly use these:
    image.jpg

Erebia and rstaaf like this.
  20. harleytech

harleytech TDPRI Member

9-46 on all my Fenders...
    Works for me...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.