What type of snake is this?

Doctor of Teleocity
Coworker was weed-eating near a ditch today and cut a baby copperhead in half with 105 line, didn’t even know it. I saw it still moving, put it out of it’s misery and buried it.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Late to the thread, but yes, a young black rat snake. We have these here in NC, and yes they keep the rodents in check. They can get pretty long, about 6ft., but never bother us if in the yard.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
I got mine in a three pack from the tractor supply

The telescoping feature makes it handy
Here's a Tractor Supply snake, picture taken in the driveway of TSC headquarters office.

ratsnake-TSC.jpg

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Black Rat Snake. Mine was extraordinarily friendly...and 5'-6" long. I picked him up in a building lot and he just wrapped himself around my arm and looked at me like, "got any rats?"

We have Yellow Rat Snakes here in coastal SC. There was a skinny little one in my driveway last year. Saw another this weekend in the same spot...bigger around but not much longer, around 2ft. He's all wiggly as a camouflage response to my presence. Put him in the woods on the ground and he looks like a stick.

I took the pic and then turned around (downsun) to send it to Miz Diane. When I turned back around, he had straightened out and was slowly moving into the bushes. I hope he doesn't eat the Broad-Headed Skink that lives under the deck...he's getting huge.

20220423_120754.jpg

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I just had a baby snake slither across my floor

I usually just pick em up because we mostly have harmless black snakes but this little guy had markings all along it’s length almost like a python pattern

I’m curious what it was

All I had to grab in the moment was my trusty chicken claw backscratcher to hold it at bay, don’t think it’s poisonous but doesn’t hurt to be cautious

I’ll tell you what this snake wasn’t happy, never seen a little snake hiss so much, did my best not to hurt it

Almost didn’t get pictures because it was so furious

What type of snake is this, one of you guys surly knows View attachment 976782 View attachment 976783 View attachment 976784 View attachment 976785 View attachment 976786
I'd guess a norther water snake, or a rat snake. What shape are the pupils? If they're round, it's not poisonous.

brenn

Tele-Afflicted
Juvenile Eastern Rat Snake. Also, the fact that it was in your house makes Rat Snake the first one to consider. I caught one over 4 feet long under the DVD shelf in my living room.

snake1.JPG

If you see a snake in your house, crawling across a brick wall, or hanging on the side of a tree, it usually turns out to be a rat snake around here.

Last edited:

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I was bitten by one of those, once. Not a pleasant experience. :)
Yep. One of the silver linings during divorce proceedings. Actually when my last girlfriend dumped me the only relief was not ever having her parents as in-laws.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I was going to say it's a Milk Snake - looks just like the ones I'd see hanging around inside my pool shed at my last house. You don't see them much because they live under outbuildings and rock walls, but they aren't rare. They are good to have around: they eat mice and other annoying critters.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Black Rat Snake. Mine was extraordinarily friendly...and 5'-6" long. I picked him up in a building lot and he just wrapped himself around my arm and looked at me like, "got any rats?"

We have Yellow Rat Snakes here in coastal SC. There was a skinny little one in my driveway last year. Saw another this weekend in the same spot...bigger around but not much longer, around 2ft. He's all wiggly as a camouflage response to my presence. Put him in the woods on the ground and he looks like a stick.

I took the pic and then turned around (downsun) to send it to Miz Diane. When I turned back around, he had straightened out and was slowly moving into the bushes. I hope he doesn't eat the Broad-Headed Skink that lives under the deck...he's getting huge.

View attachment 977295
You took one home to eat your rats/mice!?

I have a drop ceiling I can here a mouse running around on top off, if the one I found was bigger I considered putting him up there